TEAM CHAL: Team Alpha Lasso - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saramel, I started to sketch something over your drawing and got a bit carried away :) So, another environment moodsketch.

AdrianNagorski, I like your wasps, go on :)
    Concerning your environment paintover it's a good idea to put the cannon there. If we had, for example, a creature or a weapon in the enviro picture, it would certainly help unite all pieces. But we haven't decided yet on the environment. I'm just pushing my own ideas :) Maybe the rest of us don't support my point of view at all

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Character: It seems like we're on the same page. He doesn't read as a "guardian". Maybe a more heroic pose will fix that. Adrian: It's easier to start from scratch than to change the existing image.
    Creature: Looks good. Maybe we could add feathers, since the character has feathers on his clothing? Just a suggestion, but I think it would be wise to unify the character and creature so it looks like they're from the same place.
    Environment: Saramel's sketch illustrates almost exactly what I had in mind too. I did some thumbnails too, but I has a hard time placing the cannon. Trespasser: That's AWESOME! If we can put the cannon in, it's a potential final.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice thumbs Zelda! also your Evos are great Trespasser i like the lighting and mood you create!!

also great point about including the feathers,
    i'm pretty exhausted from work last night, (2 more to go )
    but i did a few quick train ride scribbles .. . .
    just thumbling along trying to find a great pose
    also with all these extra sketches, i can make my
    creature design a bit less of an illustration and more of a
    almost product design LOL . . . .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski: Hey, there are some perspective issues on the bottom part and the face.

I started to refine the perspective in Trespasser's/Saramel's environment.
    But I have a question. What are those lines in the bottom right supposed to be?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek, I know that the perspective in my piece looked odd, partly because I wanted the fairy-tale illustration look, partly because it was not supposed to be a flat surface. This is more like mountainous terrain. Your approach is more realistic; that's ok.

These lines in the bottom are narrow bridges. I thought that our tribe, living in the mountains, should have some special roads, ways to communicate. My sketch is very loose in this area. If you could devise any ideas on that matter it would be great! The place (our "village") definetely lacks something architecturally interesting, something that would make it unique.

AdrianNagorski, check the position of the wings and the legs. I consider there should be more perspective shortening. Also the body is too long, far longer than a real bee/wasp would have. Check tangent lines in the area of the head and near one of the legs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, trespasser and zelda! Way to totally beef up the sketch!! I love the colors and lighting, and the mountainous setting is perfect! I'm definitely getting a feel for our hero's homeland

Well, I had classwork and client work tonight after my day job, but I will get up some of my cannon weapon sketches tomorrow. Sorry for the wait, you guys are doing such awesome work!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok guys, here's a few weapon idea sketches. I've got them numbered on top.

So, number one is supposed to say "Fire Blossom Weapon" - that's a little less silly than "Flower Blossom Weapon". Anyway, just an idea of a cannon of magical energy weapon force that has its side panels open, or 'bloom', for activation, and long 'stamens' grow out of the center to charge up the magical energy. I know it's not really what we were thinking, just an idea for possible mechanics of the weapon.

Number two is set into the side of the mountain cliff - it is lowered and raised by those big chains going into carved holes in the mountain - it also uses a sort of magical ancient energy, as there is sort of a lightening rod-type protrusion at the end of the cannon for directing the energy.

Number three is more of a traditional cannon (but could also use magic instead of cannonballs or high tech science). It has two large wheels on either side with handled extensions of the spokes for several people to help position the cannon - one wheel tilts the cannon forward and back, and the other swivels it.

Hope these are somewhat clear - again, just sketches, and this is sort of my first attempt at serious industrial design So, let me know what you guys think!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saramel: I like nr. 2 the best because it's integrated with the environment.
    What I don't like is "magical ancient energy". There are many other interesting and real ways to power a cannon. Do you think I could design the internal mechanisms please? I love that stuff.

Trespasser: Ah, bridges. That was what I thought. I agree we need something more interesting in the environment. But the composition is really bad for showing the bridges, so I think we should make an other composition if we want to show off the bridges better?

I tried to take Trespasser's silhouette thumbnail (previous page). I thought it was a slightly more dynamic pose, but still showed the whole design. I can't say I'm happy about the result. Character design isn't my strong suit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zelda Geek, go for it! I have no idea how the insides of weapons work, if you want to figure out the mechanics, that's awesome! I was just thinking ancient magic because I can't think of any real ancient weapons that could defeat aliens or whatever, but again, I don't know much about the mechanics of weapons.

That rope bridge scene with the cliff village is really cool - we could put the cannon right by the village, or even have it on another mountain or something so that the people have to travel to it when the danger arrives and they realize their ordinary weapons won't defeat the aliens. Maybe even the guardian could live by the cannon, but his home is somewhat isolated from the village, because he must focus all his time and energy on his duties or something. Just some ideas.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek, yep, your sketch is what I had in mind while drawing that silhoette. The pose looks less static, but still lacks something... I promise that I would do some sketches too when I have time. Yours are really inspiring, they help visualize the idea. Btw, love both color schemes.
    Your suggestion for the composition shows the idea of connection by bridges more clearly, but it seems very 'horizontal'. Adding some diagonals would help

To all — I'm sorry for my lack of activity. I will be on vacation till august 5. Won't be able to paint anything, and maybe I even won't have internet access. I will think over ideas for the character and the environment and hopefully will sketch something, though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are still in this team!

so i've struggled for hours with this trying to get the lines for this,
    i basically restarted from scratch, im still not to happy with it
    also i quickly rought in a second wasp in the bottom of the sketch with my mouse just now, i think i does have a sense of story to it

what do you guys think??

Z + S : i like the first two canons a combination of the two would be great, yes lets try avoid magic

also im really liking your latest landscape Z, once that is down it would be a lot easier to visualize story and action for your CHar i'd like to take a crack at it as well, so far your design is great its not over the top or to simple if you look at your earlier sketches the patterns on the cloths is all the detailing that is really needed?!?!?!?!?!

i'll post some progress in a few days, keep fighting the good fight!!!

if you guys want to red line this or give me a few hints that would be great!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski: It looks like he's sitting on the wasp's head and is about to fall off. I think it will help to place the guy closer to the wings. The wasp's head looks way cooler this time around. Sorry for late reply.

So I thought we needed a way to aim the cannon. I based the design on fire control mechanical computers.
    It is of course not finished yet. Inputs are apprechiated.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh holy cow! I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it looks math as fuck! nice job! Are you an engineer irl zelda?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Should I call it finished?
    I know it's missing a way to power the thing, but I'm too tired of the thing to add more stuff, hehe.
    Are the animations too distracting?
    How's the presentation? Is it clear what all the things are?

And guys, we only have two weeks left. I understand if you're tired of the project, but if you want out you need to say so, so that the rest know how much work we have left to do.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek: its perfect i cant believe it, you have out done yourself man!

im still here, just struggling LOL , i'll post stuff later today i hope. . . .

liking the cannon illustration i would just add a whole/dark black section below and above where the cannon is so it does look like it can move?

what program did you use to make the gifs with?

Im gonna try do the creature +character design still . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same thing here, struggling. I'll try to focus on the environment/illustration then. I suggest we skip panels? Or if somebody has got an idea, he or she can describe it here and maybe someone will get interested.

Btw, zelda_geek: this is awesome.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my version of zelda's sketch. If you like it, I can finish this. C&C ofc are welcome

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianNagorski
    ...add a whole/dark black section below and above where the cannon...
    Sure thing. Will do later.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianNagorski
    ...what program did you use to make the gifs with?
    Photoshop. I use the animation window (window-->animation) and layers that turn on and off. Then I go File-->Save for Web & Devices and save as .gif animation.

Trespasser: It looks way cooler now! Maybe the torch fire on the left is too big. I you want to finish it go ahead!
    I feel the composition is a little static (my fault, hehe). Maybe add fireballs crashing in from the sky? Animals? Something like that.
    Anyway, now I'm inspired again. It didn't take more than that, haha.
    I agree we can skip the panels. Then there's only creature and illustration left. Yay!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to take a crack at the panels thing as well
    had a fun time with power cutting out today, lol didn't save (excusses. . .)

so i'll post in a couple of days don't worry boys i'm working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry I've been away for a while - been really busy with school, client work, and gatherings for both my and my boyfriend's families.

So what needs to be done at this point? I really like the weapon and the environment, are we still hammering out the character and the creature? And we also need an illustration? I can work on some thumbnails for possible illustrations since it sounds like you guys have the creature and character covered. I'll try to throw those up tomorrow, but obviously I will have to get some of my client's work done first.

This is looking really good! and sorry again about being mia

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work in progress. A bit too dramatic, isn't it?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trespasser: looks great we got story in there!!!

Saramel: No problem,
    well the creature design and character design are still to be done, also panels/comics and illustration, work on any one you like.

I'm gonna hammer the character and creature designs out hopefully post my work on Friday other wise i just want to die LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok Guys, so here are some ideas for the illustration - obviously just very basic and first round of thumbnails kinda thing. And, I'm not super great at thumbnails, so sorry if these are a little hard to read :/

Anyway, here's what they are:
    1. Guardian mounted on dragon, sitting on cannon, overlooking valley village
    2. Guardian standing on cannon (back to viewer), overlooking valley and mountains
    3. Guardian mounted on dragon, attacking alien ship (yeah, sorry all I got for an alien ship right now is saucer)
    4. Guardian mounted on dragon, flying up in front of alien beast who is standing on cliff, overlooking valley village. Cannon and saucers can be seen in background.
    5. Guardian is standing on cannon, aiming it towards saucers, which are firing on the village and the mountain forest.

Let me know what you guys think!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saramel: great start i personally like them all but no.4 has a great story to it.

guys im not sure if i should pull out the deadline is next week Sunday, i got and exam on Wednesday, plus work on the weekends its extremely hard
    to produce some quality work, i've been re working some stuff several times to the point of frustration.

please advise, your thoughts are welcome. . . . .

Last edited by AdrianNagorski; August 16th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saramel, I like #4 and #5

AdrianNagorski, just post what you are struggling with here. Maybe it's not as bad as you think :) Someone could carry out your work

Next step. I'm still refining details, though I should focus on depth and lighting :(

Last edited by Trespasser; August 17th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That foreground wasn't working for me, so I tried to change it. It also seemed too empty at the left hand side so I moved stuff around. I hope I didn't make it worse haha.

Last edited by zelda_geek; August 17th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek, now there's a problem. Your painting is not worse, it's different. More realistic, with different perspective and different color scheme.
    I just don't agree with you, your version seems boring to me. Of course, we can take these two variants to finished, and then chose one of the two, but it seems rather irrational there's still a lot to do :)

My suggestion for team workflow is to divide all that needs to be done between team members and trust that they do their work, and help each other with advice and paintover, but not interfere with another's work and not work on the same image, because it's the most inconvenient and the slowest way to collaborate when the team is that big.

So, zelda_geek, I trust your skills; if you want, finish the environment. I then will do something else :)

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Trespasser For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4