TEAM CHAL: Team Rocket ;_: - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TEAM CHAL: Team Rocket ;_:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree I think we should make some decisions. Lets make some decisions based on the art or photo ref though.

Kahel, I love the photo ref you collected. Looking at the pencil sketches you did I would love to see these fleshed out. Maybe you can start showing us some of these environments you envision. I think doing the panels would really help. I don't think using pink was a bad decision, it's good. We need to try these things before we figure out what we all like. It's great!

I understand and agree about keeping the secret generator separate from the guardian. I will try to do some secret generator stuff. Also I really like Snafus depiction of a guardian or creature on this planet. I like it because it feels like this luminous thing but it's so filled with secret stuff. The secrets kinda just poke through as light. Wondering if you guys felt the same way?

I also like thinking that this planet has some of Snafus luminosity but with forms in Kahels photo ref. One thing i would really like to see is this mechanical aspect running through these environments and creatures. Thoughts?

Anyway nice work guys! I'll get my ideas posted soon

Blog
    I want to go there and hang out.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good. I also do like the light thing because it certainly has the potential to amp up the mystery vibes. So far I think we're all in agreement on this aspect.

As for the guardian, I actually like Snafu's first idea of having a titan-esque ancient being because size can definitely make the character more intimidating, and that was really nice with his sketch too. However, at the same time, I think it can make environment interactions a bit more difficult. At least, the way I imagine it, with our guardian walking around and touching things and sitting under a tree and just chilling on a regular day. Anyway yeah, I'll come up with some more stuff. So far it looks like we're all kind of agreeing on the mother guardian concept, so I'm gonna try and design more in that direction.

And we're also agreeing on this place being a planet then? Cool. What about... a planet within a planet? It sounds a bit fussy but you know, if it's a secret place there could be something like a hidden planet within. Kind of like the last pic in my refs below, there can be layers of environments. Or... not. I dunno, just a thought.

Some more refs:

Last edited by Kahel; August 5th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kahel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These photos are so fucking cool!!

About the mother guardian, when i think about it she strikes me as more vulnerable than a guardian. These are my thoughts, I just can't see this figure as something you don't want to mess with. what do you think? I'm going to come up with some more stuff see if you guys like it.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy with a mechano-fantasy environment with towering coral structures type thing

I agree with guilfine about the concept of the mother guardian. with the illustration showing off a guardian with secret/light coming through it would be cool, we can depict the smaller secrets flying/walking about too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A vulnerable type of guardian huh? Yeah I think that could work. Playing along those thoughts, maybe we can put in one creature for her like her own personal secret, something like she wants freedom as well or something similar. So that there could be this one creature following her around all the time like a pet or a favorite daughter/son.

(And also, edit to add, for more of these images, go to http://sciencephoto.com, type in 'electron micrograph', hit search and voila, endless ref gallery. )

Last edited by Kahel; August 6th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, no, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to say that the pregnant mother guardian looks vulnerable. I don't see her as a guardian.

I was leaning more towards something colossal or heroic in appearance.

Let me know what you think.

I like the idea of having smaller creatures accompanying the guardian.

Thanks for that link man, I love that they have movies too

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo team what's up? How about a gorilla-like guardian? They're kind of intimidating, no? And territorial too, if I'm not mistaken. (Gorillas, I mean. Not necessarily our guardian. But hey, it's his planet so maybe he is as well.)

Attached Images Attached Images  

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kahel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we should make some thumbs for the final designs now I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Agreed. I'm also glad you like that last set. I'm quite happy with the silhouette and the most of upper half, but honestly I wasn't really sure how to go about with the detailing of the lower half. Do you have some ideas on how to improve it? Or amor/texture refs that we could draw ideas from? (I've got a long way to go on my mech design skills heheh) If we could manage to pin down the final design soon, I'd be glad to do the character sheet, (and maybe we can even start thinking about the illustration) unless of couse, one of you guys wants to do it, and that's fine by me as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll start producing thumbs too, and we'll go with whatever's best in the end, I'fine with you dong the char sheet, but i think near the end we should all go over/critque each others just to make sure everyone's happy, i don't want it to be one guy does one thing, wheres the team part

i think our priority should be
    -char sheet
    -environment
    -illustration

then we can do the other things as we go on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm also cool with paintovers. And if we add creature to that list we've pretty much covered our three member contest entry requiremet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey guys here is some secret generator stuff

Blog

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guilefine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good man, I'll post up some envirmonment concepts and creature sketches tonight, hopefully we can come to a decision by the 19th, if you guys post whatever you have, will give us 2-3 days to paint and another 2-3 days to review (if the date is sunday the 26th august)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, really sorry I was absent for a while, there were some matters to take care of, so I just got back to drawing now.

Anyway, anyway, great stuff you guys. I'd love to see that one in full view guile. As for me, here's as far as I got today. I'm a little concerned that it's looking more creature than humanoid, and leaning more towards organic than mechanical. I kind of like those gears and things you have at the back snafu, can we get maybe a closer look at that?

I'll keep drawing tonight, and hopefully I can catch you guys online later so we can do a bit more of brainstorming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some candy colored things.

Also, I've mentioned this a while back, but I'm going out of the country this weekend, so actually, I only have until the 23rd to finish anything. It would be really cool if we could finalize things so I can start working on someting a bit more definite. Worst case for me would be to keep putting up these sketches/wips until the 23rd for either of you guys to paintover or take apart (which I have no problems with, it's just that I don't want to burden either of you with extra workload), or to drop out if I can't manage to produce an entry by then. So yeah, for now I'll just keep posting stuff for the next couple of days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kahel if you could do a front/back of the guardian with some wips that'd be great, then if need be we can detail it further, i'll try and get some sketches of the mechanical rings done and post up some illustrations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still working on it. Ugh I am so slow. I'll post whatever I finish tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so unfortunately, it looks like I've failed you guys. I couldn't get the character sheet done because once again I've invested my time on rendering rather than getting things down quickly. I am really so sorry. Here's what I have (posting it full size so apologies for the side scrolling). Anyway, so I feel pretty bad about this, another day for me would've made a huge difference. But in any case, considering the time we have left, I would have no problem with dropping off the team if it makes it easier for you two. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until Monday so I'm leaving it up to you guys to call the shots, as I'm not sure if I'd be able to go online until I get back.

So yeah, again, I'm really, really sorry guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, what's up? Just got back from my trip and I'm pretty happy to learn about the extended deadline. Although... this thread has been pretty quiet lately. Uh, are we still doing this or...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, i have a ton of stuff to post, hopefully tonight, just a bit of refinement needed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I apologize for my absence. Kahel, I think it looks great! I was wondering when is all this work actually due?

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, good to hear from you guys.

Anyway, currently working on the character sheet, but I'd really love to see what you've got Snafu, there might be some things we can modify with the guardian design. Like I said, I'm a bit concerned that I seem to have missed the mark on the techno and human bit (putting on a more humanesque face was an attempt to rectify that latter bit).

Thanks guile (though it's still pretty much open for changes/ criticisms/ discussions etc). As for the deadline, it looks like we've been given another week until the 2nd of September. But yeah, I'm hoping we can manage to communicate more efficiently during this last week. Alright guys, homestretch, let's do this thing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey Kahel, I hope this isn't out of place because I haven't posted too much stuff here yet. I just want to help and if it seems harsh I don't mean it to be. this stuff is just for future reference and i don't want to overwhelm you.

Blog

30. The Following User Says Thank You to guilefine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guile, no this is perfect! This is great feedback, thank you! Originally I had thought about putting the spikes as a mechanical design element, but then it didn't exactly come out as planned. But you're right about the movement restriction. Alright, will try to tweak things a bit, any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I can take one of these closer to finish if that would help.

Honestly I would make a decision. Try and just make one clear design. If you want to go with the gorilla design then stay close to those elements and enhance them or subtract from them. If you want to go with the long neck and spikes then look at animals that have long necks. You can have both but i feel one idea should be dominate. Play with the silhouette. Make sure you are doing them in perspective as well. don't do them flat. Try to imagine the anatomy of these creatures as you are blocking out the shape.

I know it's late for this but i think it will help. Don't scrap this guy. Do a handful of silhouettes based on your original idea for this guy. Don't focus on details just make a nice design and think about the anatomy. Then we can choose whats working the best. Also, try not to spend to long on them either. they can be loose.

You did a good job with the details on your guy and i love the detail on the top of his head. I don't think that's where the issues are, its the bigger stuff like design.

I will be on here tomorrow. I'll post some stuff.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I've been working on the illustration/enviro style stuff, wanted to capture a lush green land, with remnants of the bio-mechanical guardians/ who once they die (secret revealed) help form the land *gears/small old abandoned villagess/mountains). I also wanted to show a sense of discovery for our soldiers looking for these guardians, might add some wildlife (secret mechano wildlife) in aswell, also here's some thumbs I did, used refs and textures and also I have some more stuff I'l get down later tonight, also the towering mountains and pastel colours were based of kahel's coral pictures

Last edited by Snafu; August 29th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice mood on that first one Snafu. I know it's still in the works, but later I'd love to see more of the little details that would make it recognizable as strange/alien. For instance that thumb on the upper right corner, I don't know if it was your intention, but that boulder thing at the middle kind of resembles a face which I think could really work with our theme.

As for our guardian, now I'm thinking maybe we should keep him more upright rather than on fours. At least, not completely, like in that first thumb of yours guile. Because then it would somehow be more human like. That was another reason for exaggerating the anatomy a bit with the long neck, because I figured that with the normal neck plus the gorilla on fours silhouette, it would look too much like, well, a gorilla. What do you guys think? Sorry that I can't post some sketches today, but I'll have more time tomorrow evening for sure so I'll put some stuff out then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it Snafu! I agree with Kahel. I think your thumbs are really strong. They have much more variation in their shapes than the top painting. Which starts to give them more of their own identity.

Kahel, yes it would look more like a gorilla. I think you should keep exploring your idea. Let me know if my last post makes sense but try to follow it. Kangaroos are upright and so are some flightless birds. check out there design. If you notice in the silhouettes I tried to make them bulkier if they were more upright. I also tried to make sure they looked aggressive and formidable. keeping with the idea that they are guardians.

Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8