TEAM CHAL: Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TEAM CHAL: Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following

TEAM CHAL: Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh

Name:  tredminsterofbrushymarsh_branding copy.png
Views: 491
Size:  108.7 KB
    Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh

Team Members:
    1 Rob Powell
    2 sony
    3 warburton

First Topic: Homeland Guardian

Key Points to Consider
    1)TEAM NAME
    2)PROJECT MANAGEMENT
    2.1)DOCUMENTATION/WIKI/REFERENCES/INSPIRATION(will really help us)
    3)TASKS
    3.1)BRAINSTORMING/DISCUSSIONS
    3.2)THEME
    4)STYLE IDENTIFICATION/art direction
    5)MOOD BOARDS
    6)GRAPHIC PRESENTATIONS FOR FINALS

Checklist (in approximate order)
    1) Environment[ ]
    a)three or four additional thumbs[ ]
    2)Character (guardian)[ ]
    a)(yuliari?)[ ]
    b)(churians?)[ ]
    3)Creature[ ]
    4)Industrial Item[ ]
    5)Illustration[ ]

Last edited by Rob Powell; August 22nd, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't heard from Snafu and Friend yet, not sure how long you want to hold before opening up the spots.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually just about to ask you about that. what we can do is hold onto the spots, but if someone else wants in we could do sort of a 'waiting list' thing, since I've got a day off Wednesday we could hold the spots till then if we don't hear from them.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, I have a short story about something that pertains to this topic! If you want me to post it to read I can.

The story was inspired by a movie, and it was called

Kai'ma slayer of a thousand

Actually I'll just layout the basic premise.

Kai'ma is a herdsman, he carries a Black Rose-Thorn Staff (fantasy Rose branch that's big enough for a herding staff)

He tries to water his herds at a town, the townsfolk run him off, he sees incoming destruction in the form of an army but doesn't warn the town.

Town is burned, he comes back and sees all the dead so he vows to never let that happen again, he has a craftswoman make him a halberd from his staff, and he eventually saves another town defeating an army of a thousand by himself, with his magical halberd and the oath binding him as a guardian.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    we can wait for some time then, mean while we can brainstorm for the team name. Once every one is aboard we will finalize that!

Flame_Unquenchable: i was wondering why he saves another town, what interests him for that? When he outran how can he leave his family behind? and if he has that magical halberd why he didn't used earlier?
    edit* that crafts woman why she gave him? may be he earned it or slayed her

game of thrones? fan?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He didn't warn the first town because they offended him.

He had the halberd made after the first town was destroyed, to be a protector, because he felt guilty for not warning them.

Once the halberd is done, he protects the second town after making a vow to never stand aside and let people die again.

The craftswoman was asked by Kai'ma to make him a halberd, she was sought out specifically for the task, he told her his oath to protect, so she made it for him. (lots of commas there...)

Actually I just started reading it recently, I haven't gotten far enough, it's good writing though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems interesting, he must have some kind of connection in the town
    what you say? no one does it free/interest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me the story was about Kai'ma trying to redeem what he felt was blood on his hands. If you feel responsible for the deaths of innocents, then that can be the motivation for becoming a guardian / hero.

However, it was an idea for the basic foundation of our compositions, to start something similar. Since I had a character, weapon, and aurochs, creatures he herded already set up, I thought it might be starting point.

Ok, I subscribed to this thread too, so I can keep up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sony View Post
    seems interesting, he must have some kind of connection in the town
    what you say? no one does it free/interest
    I can post the whole story if you'd like to read it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he should seek revenge he can be next avenger he should crush the bones of every burner of that army, his everything was burned.

how that second town accept him, don't you think the ruler of that town will get insecure by him? as his men might rebel against the head, he will gain popularity by his magical thing

sure great thing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys are on fire XD
    i'll apologize in advance I'm at work usually during the days so during those times I'll be more of a moderator. i can contribute more during the nights and my days off though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame_Unquenchable View Post
    However, it was an idea for the basic foundation of our compositions, to start something similar. Since I had a character, weapon, and aurochs, creatures he herded already set up, I thought it might be starting point.
    good start as ref

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    you guys are on fire XD
    i'll apologize in advance I'm at work usually during the days so during those times I'll be more of a moderator. i can contribute more during the nights and my days off though!
    no problem mate, any time

my time is +5GMT also it's my night here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Legend of Kai'ma

Long ago in a time before the voice of god was heard again in Faelelonde, there was a herdsman named Kai'ma. He tended his cattle,
    an unruly breed of aurochs that did not allow him to settle in one place, though he would not have for he was taken with wanderlust.
    This life suited him and he was content with his Rose-thorn staff and his aurochs.

One day a city, who's name has been lost to the ages and to anonymity, turned away the herds of Kai'ma, they would not even let
    him into the city. Kai'ma being a wandering herdsman was not trusted, and was considered unclean by those of the city, and so
    neither he nor his herds were welcome. The herdsman was angered by this lack of hospitality, for he had traveled far and was parched
    and worn, but he turned his herds toward the setting sun and left.

As he was topping a hill far away, he could see an army their spears glinting in the waning sun, marching toward the city. In his anger
    Kai'ma turned his back upon the citizens of that city, and gave no thought to warning them of the danger coming. He strode on, herding
    his aurochs far away from the oncoming army. He wished upon them a punishment for their haughtiness, and strode into the setting sun.

It happened that the lands to the west were barren, and days he searched for a place to water and feed his herd, but there was no place
    to be found, and so he turned again to the eastern way from which he had passed previously. Within a week he drove his cattle back over
    the hill where he had cursed the town and he saw that it lay in ruins. The fires had burned to embers and wisps of smoke caught on the
    wind brought with them the smells of destruction and decay. As he approached he saw the townsfolk, strung up by their feet, and driven
    upon stakes and hung from the walls.

His heart wept for the people of this town, even though they had cursed him and called him rabble, they did not deserve this fate. He
    cursed himself for not warning them, his anger was not sated by this destruction, but his pride was broken. He cut those down which he
    could, and buried those whom he was able, and tried to give some manner of peace to those who had suffered so much. Upon those
    graves it is said that he swore to never again let the plight of a people pass, even if it would cost him his own life, he would stand for them.

A year passed and Kai'ma watered his herds near wide streams and bedded them in lush pastures, and made gold from the selling of his
    fine stock. He took that gold and found a smith, a woman named Jula Maein, and asked her to forge for him a blade to sit upon the end of
    his Rose-thorn staff. He said that this blade would be the defense for the weak wherever he traveled. And so, Jula Maein created Kai'ma's
    halberd, the blade he would carry to defend the downtrodden.

After seven days she brought the blade to Kai'ma where he rested with his herds in the pastures outside of town. He looked upon the weapon
    and thanked Jula for her great work, and set about preparing his herd to move, but horns rang out in the distance and atop the hill sat a rider
    and flags and men adorned for battle. A thousand soldiers stood upon the hill, and the banners they flew were the same that destroyed those
    he cursed.

Without hesitation Kai'ma attended his oath, and rode his prized bull auroch out into the field to meet and parlay. When asked "Who will defend
    this town?", Kai'ma simply replied "I alone defend it." and the emissary laughed and rode back to his commander.

Kai'ma dismounted and stood at the bottom of the hill, and down came the army like a flood but he stood unmoving until the last moment,
    and then Kai'ma charged the thousand, his blade low he swept into their ranks and began his work. One fell, then two, then five, then twenty;
    none could stand before Kai'ma. Unknown to him, the Aurochs in his charge had surrounded the army and would not let them flee, pushing them
    ever closer to the spinning doom that was Kai'ma's blade. There upon the field, it is said that he stood in bodies up to his knees and defeated a
    thousand men without aid from another.

This began the legend of Kai'ma, and his legendary halberd. He traveled and dueled, always for those who were weak and in need, and he
    never asked for money, or food, or stock. It was his duty, his oath, and he upheld it willingly.

As age began to creep upon him, Kai'ma trained a young man Ijil'in to watch the herds and to protect them. He also taught him the ways of the
    blade. Ijil'in excelled in all that he did, and Kai'ma told him "All that I own, you will one day inherit, except this." The blade Kai'ma kept, and would
    not let him touch. The desire of it began to eat at Ijil'in until one day he tried to steal it from his master.

"I told you this is not for you to touch! It is an item that will pass away with me, it is the blood of my oath, and not for another…" Kai'ma
    punished young Ijil'in for his disobedience.

The punishment only drove the desire to have the weapon deeper within the young man, and he left his master's service. He found a seer in a
    town far away, and paid her to scry upon the old man. As Kai'ma went to hide the blade, it's path was known to Ijil'in, and so he thought to himself,
    "My master is ready to die, and so I will retrieve his blade and become the next Kai'ma."

And so Ijil'in retrieved the blade, but he could not find the body of Kai'ma. He took the blade and inquired about Kai'ma wherever he went, but no
    one knew what had happened to the old man, and so Ijil'in took up the blade for his own purpose and there he began to fight; and win. Fame of the
    young duelist spread far and wide, eventually reaching the ears of an old herdsman, who carried a Rose-thorn staff.

One day during the afternoon after a particularly spectacular win, Ijil'in sat lounging and reaping the rewards that came with his fame. People praise
    him and gave him food and drink, women sat by and waited upon his whim, and he laughed at the unfortunates in the street, throwing food at them
    and mocking them.

A gruff voice called out to him, "You are a fraud, and a thief. You forget that you were once an urchin upon the street."

Ijil'in replied, "I should teach you a lesson, come out of the crowd and earn your beating you wretch!"

A hooded figure with a Rose-thorn staff stepped from the crowd, "You are undefeated against fools Ijil'in, but you wield a blade that you do not
    understand. That blade is for Kai'ma alone, it's point will spill the blood of the greedy, the deceivers, and the unjust…"

"You know nothing of me, nor of this blade you fool," Ijil'in stood and drew up the halberd before him, "I will take off your head for your insolence."

"I warn you, do not strike at me with that blade, or this will be the last duel you fight," the hood fell back and the wizened face of Kai'ma stared back
    at him.

Whispers of Kai'ma's name flooded the crowd and people spoke reverently of him, and they spurned Ijil'in and left his table. Infuriated the young
    duelist charged his master.

The Rose-thorn staff parried Ijil'in's furious blows, and Kai'ma danced like a leaf upon the wind. Even in his age, the old man moved with poise and
    purpose, each blow from his staff brought blood and welts to Ijil'in's body. Bleeding and angry Ijil'in threw everything he had into his onslaught only to
    have it turned aside and upended by his former master. Eventually, Ijil'in fell. In blood stained clothes he lay upon the ground, his face was swollen
    from the beating, his eyes almost closed shut, he was defeated.

"The blade is not for you, it is my burden to bear Ijil'in." Kai'ma slumped to the ground in anguish over what he had done to his student, and tears filled
    his eyes. The Rose-thorn staff slipped from his grip.

At that moment Ijil'in went for his last attack, he shot from the ground, and pulled up the halberd to strike, but the thorns upon the haft caught in his
    matted sleeve and he tripped and fell. The momentum of the handle kept moving forward and the blade turned, and there ended Ijil'in with the blade of
    Kai'ma in his breast.

It is said that Kai'ma buried his student with his blade, and planted his Rose-thorn staff as a marker. The monastery of Kai'ma and the Rose-thorn tree
    are said to stand upon the spot where Ijil'in was laid to rest. The monks who tend the tree say that it is the ancient staff of Kai'ma left as a reminder to
    all who see it. To this day they uphold his oath. If ever you come upon a monk with a Rose-thorn staff, know that the spirit and duty of Kai'ma reside
    with him.

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; July 16th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool story, fits the topic perfectly and is definitely a good starting point for inspiration!
    For this topic however I was bit more eager for more of a sci-fi approach.
    Or perhaps even some thing more post-apocalyptic, with zombies and stuff.
    It could also be cool if it was an underwater world kinda like Atlantis
    Let's get some more ideas in!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice story, but its very linear and the character kai'ma needs more back story,i feel it some how misses the point when a reader is hooked or if a movie then the audience will be on his side. He just seems a lucky guy with a magical halberd. and that student part so kung fu panda "the dragon warrior".

oh god i am being so finicky, let me think less and see visuals more

thanks for sharing the story

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you guys are killin it already! Its inspiring to see.

I noticed you're waiting on confirmation for Snafu and Friend to join your team, but if for any reason a slot becomes available it would be an honour to work with you guys if your interested.

If i'm too late i'll stop 'spamming' your thread with annoying request messages and leave you too it. (Sorry for the s*** pun, i'll just leave now )

22. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no prob, dude! If there's still no word from Snafu and his friend then your in!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mas wippage

Just because he looks like Mum-ra the everliving doesn't mean he can't be a guardian.

Name:  Teamup2.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  83.3 KBName:  Teamup3.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  68.6 KB

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool start, but at this point I think it'd be better to think about the environments and settings first so we get a better grasp on what to go with. So try doing some comp thumbs rather than characters and creatures.

some other ideas that popped to mind
    -Golem guardian protecting ancient tomb from intruders, living statue beasts assist golem who uses massive ancient sword
    -Survivor protects other survivors in a village from onslought of undead and mutated using modified weaponry
    -Link defends Hyrule from Ganon using the Master Sword while mounted on Epona (My original idea, I swear....)

Also any ideas for our team name???

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YaLL RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKK XDXDXD

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spam ninjas is fine with me, unless you want to go Madlib on the name, which always produces stunning results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SMILEFACE: YALLLROCKKKKKZ SOCKZZZZORZ RaWRRRrWWR!!!! \M/(>.<)\M/

another....
    fleet commander pilots space vessel to protect his space colony/planet/homeworld/city from alien invaders, he has an alien dog....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wipola, just trying to think futuristic, I'll do more tomorrow, plus I need music, I work better with tunes in my head.

Attached Images Attached Images  

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok last one before bed.

I'm really working that spam name.

Attached Images Attached Images  

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff guys; to start with, some point i need your opinions and suggestion on this too

We also need to focus on the points, since we are going to be great team we need have excellent coordination and collaboration as well, as a team we need to be on same page.
    1)TEAM NAME
    2)PROJECT MANAGEMENT
    2.1)documentation/wiki (will really help us)
    3)TASKS
    3.1)THEME
    4)STYLE IDENTIFICATION/art direction
    5)MOOD BOARDS
    6)GRAPHIC PRESENTATIONS FOR FINALS

anything more pop in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    A)-Golem guardian protecting ancient tomb from intruders, living statue beasts assist golem who uses massive ancient sword

B)-Survivor protects other survivors in a village from onslought of undead and mutated using modified weaponry

C)-Link defends Hyrule from Ganon using the Master Sword while mounted on Epona (My original idea, I swear....)

D)-fleet commander pilots space vessel to protect his space colony/planet/homeworld/city from alien invaders, he has an alien dog....
    "A" seems interesting
    B is no from my side
    C wow look at the names man awesome
    D thumbs up

note: lets put this thread link in our signature guys

40. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually gonna post a little checklist for our tasks at hand, but it was too wordy, but this one works, Give me a few and I'll put it on the First post. If other points need to be made in the mean time I'll address them when made...

shame about B, I kinda liked the idea of a zombie esque post apocalyptic theme, but if you object then idea goes bye bye...one thing for sure we need to make sure the theme is unanimously agreed upon.

edit: btw it seems Snafu has started his own team...meaning a spot has opened up...aaaand that means welcome aboard WARBURTON!!!
    ...also I've asked someone if they'd be interested! so the last spot is currently unavaible until I hear back from him! We can still do a waiting list however...

Last edited by Rob Powell; July 17th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

44. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thhhhhanks dude, i can't wait to get started with you guys!!

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8