Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TEAM CHAL: Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sony View Post
    flame: this is for yuliari?
    Yah I was thinking Yulian when I sculpted it, but I think I'll go back and use some of the refs that Rob sent and try to just make a head, I have some ideas from looking at those photos.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Possible look for the Guardian species. I was thinking frog/fish/porpoise. The airsac under his chin gives him this sort of beard/wise look. I thought it was appropriate for our Guardian. Plus a fishlike species has the potential for badass armor coverings.

Also, arm Cannon/Arm energy blade are my thoughts for weapons. Was thinking heavy armor with some sort of devestating beam on one arm and a energy blade on the other, something that says this guy is deadly no matter what range.

Name:  guardian2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  161.5 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff guys, Flame i like your environments, they have lots of potential!

sony The sils and thumbs have got some interesting shapes and ideas within them. These could be exciting to pursue.

Rob Great reference and explanations on your thoughts. I think your on the right wave length.

Sorry for my absence, ive had a few complications at home which have meant that ive been left homeless for a while. I'm staying at a friends till i get some stuff sorted but i'll try to keep up and see what i can do.

A brief sketch done at the weekend before Rob's refs =p
    yuliari

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flame: that's looking too cute at the moment, the proportions of eye are making it look like a baby. Sentinel the guardian i think must have energy in it that i can destroy the enemy.\

Warburton: Nice colors and form, not sold on the tail and center of mass yet though, like the friendly look
    b/w wish you the best in your life too

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guardian concept in armor. Going to take it home tonight at put it photoshop and see what I can get out of it. Feel free to do the same if you like it.

Name:  guardian3.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  133.5 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    did some sketches....
    two variations for the churions, one is a quadruped the other a biped, I was leaning more towards the biped, looks more interesting, also looks more capable of handling any sort of technology that they may possess. They're hands should really have opposable thumbs, but these are still just sketches

also a couple other sketches for concepts of either the yuliari or ancient races the middle concept looks interesting cept it's legs kinds suck...and a quick head study...

keep up the good work folks!
    Name:  alien sketches-head study.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  269.5 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the biped with 4 arms. That's badass. I was moving more toward turtle with each guardian concept I drew, with the exception of one. I'm always impressed by how clean your linework is Rob.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a quick paint over. I just realized that I have such horrible anatomy that it's hard to paint my sketches. I found it easy to pull the muscles and shadow/hilights off of this sketch.

Name:  Teamup-churian.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  154.2 KB

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff guys,

flame: loved that, would suggest you try more surface types, the claws might be more harder than the rest of the body, just a food for though

rob_powell: that's cool for churians, scale is awesome with ref to humans, that yuliari is also very cool looking buddy. friendly !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did the color pass on rob_powell's sketch for yuliari,

the smilie version is
    1-when they meet humans they just love us they need humans smell to be happy
    ------0r-------
    2- yuliari needs this plant/air/smell to be happy

Attached Images Attached Images  

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok lets see about turtle heads. I looked at some turtles for reference, and changed up the dimensions a bit, and the size of the neck mainly. What do you think of these for the guardian?
    Name:  guardian4.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  162.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think that the bottom center one has got the most potential from all of them. i still think the eye is relatively large

look at the board Rob_powell made the guardian feel that he can save us 4http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...2&postcount=87

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually decreased the size of the eye for the green turtle type, the matamata ref was about the same size, and I increased the eye size on the snapping turtle type a bit. All in all they are close in anatomical scale to what I used as a reference. Also sea creatures tend to have larger eyes than land dwelling creatures. Look at the eyes of a squid, octopus, shrimp comparative to it's size, sea turtles, etc. There are a decent amount of sea creatures that have large eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rough guardian shape & scale, i numbered them wrong, 1 is yuliari,

head adaptation from flame's studies

Last edited by sony; July 28th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry again for my absence again, things have improve for now so i'll be able to contribute more now .

Ive been reading abit about the tasks rules and thinking about the time we have left. We have till the 23rd, which is on a Thursday so that gives us just under 4 weeks, and we have 4 tasks to do. I think it's fair to assume we are all up for doing the character and creature, and my vote goes towards the environment and the illustration also. (Though i'm really cool with doing something if you guys feel differently.)

So far we have a good background story, some awesome ideas and some good direction as to where we're heading. How do you guys want to handle doing the tasks? Do them say 1 at a time, during a week period or so or rotate the different tasks simultaneous throughout the duration of our remaining time?

Also, heres a few thoughts/ideas/issues/blah i thought i'd voice.
    1, The guardian must be humanoid, but at the same time has to be a 'homeland' guardian. That means i think we'll have to make it relate to the creature race. Basically it must look like its from the same world as the creatures, while at the same time making it look humanoid and unique (as in theres only 1 guardian.)
    2, "Creatures can not be humanoid, and may only have accessories which the character might have put on them." So that means cloths and garments might look abit odd, unless their also visible on the guardian i suppose. But this also makes human interaction kinda tough to incorporate. In fact, part from the illustration theres not much opportunity to have humans in the designs, and its gonna make our jobs a lot harder incorporating them.
    3, A consistant theme or art direction which flows through all the designs. Whether its how we push colours, or shapes, rendering blah blah or the species (creature/character) being consistant with the environment, eg, swamp world with turtle like creatures etc etc, you know what i'm dribbling on about
    4, i think so long our designs look cool and read well we don't have to worry too much about making a massive back story. We should just keep it simple, and let the cool ass art we produce together speak for itself.

Thats about it, i'll stop rambling now, and please feel free to voice your thoughts if ive fucked up somewhere or you dissagree, and heres also a sketch i did which contradicts me entire essay above which i did quickly a few days ago at my mates

I think the most important thing now though is to set some kind of structure or timetable for the next few weeks for our tasks. Voice your thoughts and we'll sort something out.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good suggestions Warburton we've had time to brainstorm and warm up. I think its time to get down to business.

I suggest we nail down our ideas on environment and illistration. Those are very broad and will have major implications on our deadline if we cant solidify something. I havw some ideas for illustration. Not sure what mood we want but I know that seeing the Guardian in action will probably be the most dynamic. Illustration will also take the longest because it incorporates all of our other ideas.

The enviro will need to tell some sort of story as well but can be more generic. Our flavor text can identify whats happening there. The creature, industrial, character will be quicker to get produced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A consistant theme or art direction which flows through all the designs. Whether its how we push colours, or shapes, rendering blah blah or the species (creature/character) being consistant with the environment, eg, swamp world with turtle like creatures etc etc, you know what i'm dribbling on about
    you just said what i wanted to say
    how we will finalize that now? whats the way forward? how to make our things consistent?

any ideas guys?

we need to finalize the look an feel are going asap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

I agree, it is time to start getting actual ideas down for painting and submission. Though first of all we have 5 tasks to complete since we have 4 members on this team (basically one task more than amount of team members) of course if we get another addition we'll have to do everything, but basically we can focus on these tasks for now...

Character
    Creature
    Environment
    Illustration
    Industrial

I'd recommend working on the illustration last so we can get the designs of the characters/creatures set then working on the illustration can be a little easier if we know how everything will look. So long as we set ourselves at least two weeks or so before the deadline when we start painting, then we should have plenty of time, of course a bit of an overlap could be allowed for more breathing room so we are not rushing the other tasks.

The enviroment can be worked on first since the other elements we need don't necessarily need to be in the environment so basically the order we should focus on are as follows:

-Environment(E)
    -Character/Creature/Industrial(C)
    -Illustration(I)/Panels(P) if needed

E-deadline 12th (give or take)? gives us about two weeks to get that done
    -Once we settle on the idea for the main environment we can even work on some rougher secondary thumbs showing other environments around the world, we could do about 4 or 5, but it will help give a better understanding of our world...
    C-can be worked on during the environment painting but hopefully get all concepts established before working on I, and P(if needed)
    -Remember we only need design sheets for these with at least two views, probably side and front should be good enough, I'd say front and back for the guardian though since it is going to be humanoid
    I/P-start at around 12th should give us enough time to work on for the deadline...of course no reason why we can't start sooner, designs for E and C should be in the finishing stages a day or two before the twelth so I and P can be started even earlier....
    so yeah hope that wasn't too confusing, but sunday August 12th will be our magic date if that's good with you guys...like I said it will be easier if we have the designs sorted out before working on I (and P if needed)

We haven't really discussed the industrial item that much...
    -weapon? like I mentioned with my moodboard should it be like a energized beam sword/arm cannon weapon?
    -if the guardian is going to be dormant while there is peace, should it have like a stasis pod or some kind of sarcophagus it sleeps in?
    -shrines for praying to the guardian/gods/ancient race?
    -armour design? a little more difficult but could be interesting to show the guardian with(character sheet) and without armour(industrial sheet)

an interesting point warburton came with is the human interaction, should we still incorporate humans? can the yuliari be a human-like race (though still creature-ish maybe) with a similar tech? or even similar to less advanced human technology such as medieval times?

well enough blabbling, I have the day off tomorrow so I'll see if I can get some rough environments wipped up...

one last thing I wanna mention I'm glad a lot of ideas have been swapped at this point (this thread has over 100 posts so lots of brainstorming going on)
    Great work guys!! let's get some awesome art done for this final stretch!!!

Last edited by Rob Powell; July 29th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an interesting point warburton came with is the human interaction, should we still incorporate humans? can the yuliari be a human-like race (though still creature-ish maybe) with a similar tech? or even similar to less advanced human technology such as medieval times?
    this is the time we finalize creature matter as well to be on same page

will be our creature design be Yuliari or churians ? or if the yuliari are humanoid as well then we have the room to discover the deadly churian, our design sheets will be more interesting and have variety so does our illustration, like hundreds of churian marching for the battle and the guarding striking back with the ultimate power, and yulairi are backing him up. Humans could be skipped then i suggest.

i will do environment studies n upload too

I'd recommend working on the illustration last so we can get the designs of the characters/creatures set then working on the illustration can be a little easier if we know how everything will look. So long as we set ourselves at least two weeks or so before the deadline when we start painting, then we should have plenty of time, of course a bit of an overlap could be allowed for more breathing room so we are not rushing the other tasks.

The enviroment can be worked on first since the other elements we need don't necessarily need to be in the environment so basically the order we should focus on are as follows:

-Environment(E)
    -Character/Creature/Industrial(C)
    -Illustration(I)/Panels(P) if needed

sounds like a good plan!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to suggest skipping the humans at this point as well, they seem unnecessary. The churians can be the creatures attacking. Bloodthirsty and ravenous, and our guardian can protect his people from those beasts.

Now it seems a lot like Alien, with creatures fairly intelligent swarming a race of humanoids the guardian is protecting.

The environment idea I had was a summoning of the guardian, or sort of his sleeping area/shrine. We could also do enviros of the Yuliari homes, just to give a feel of what this planet is like.

Lets get a good feel for our guardian, and how it protects. I like the beam sword and cannon idea, something to overwhelm the bestial churians. But it can be massive as well, towering over the smaller Yuliari.

If the Yuliari are human sized or smaller it makes the churians that much more menacing with their size difference. I will do some skin adaptions to the churians from what I already have, try to vary the concept to have options.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    exciting progress guys,

good by human, muuuhaahahahahah, see you i nthe CHOWS

i am working on the layout and crossections of the Yulium and its turning out really nice, it has waterfall, old remnant shaped home colony and the but and carved shrine and ........... update in a while

37. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "5 tasks to complete since we have 4 members on this team"
    - Maths was never my strong point, counting past 5 confuses me :p

"can the yuliari be a human-like race (though still creature-ish maybe) with a similar tech? or even similar to less advanced human technology such as medieval times?"
    - That sounds cool, so long they are recognisable as creatures and not humanoid. Also any tech on them has to be something given to them/ or are from from the guardian i think. Something to bear in mind, if they are intelligent enough to interact and carry tech would'nt they be wearing garments and cloths? Then they might look too humanoid. I think we have to find a fine balance between them being intelligent enough to interact and worship but not as intelligent for them to be assossiated with humanity.
    If we use the churians as our creatures and keep the yulairi more human we have to remember the creature design has to be from the same planet as the guardian. Just a thougth again :p

I love that idea of having a stasis pod or something holding the guardian. Could make an interesting panel piece too, the guardian busting out while all the Yulairi prey for his/her protection. Would make a cool environment piece too.

I like time deadline Rob, i think thats a prity solid idea. I don't see any reason why we can't achieve the set tasks with 4 of use.

"Now it seems a lot like Alien, with creatures fairly intelligent swarming a race of humanoids the guardian is protecting."
    - Lets not worry too much about making a super original story. The idea is kinda generic but so long the art and design is awesome nobody will give a shit ;D

Now, enough chatty chatty, time to bust out photoshop.

Sony Nice little teaser there, i'm lookin forward to your update!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yulium is the planet and Yuliumantis has 5 major areas,

1- the top mountain, rich yuliari people colony
    2- the slums / colony of regular yuliari's and the entrance to yuliumantis
    3- the sacred shrine after the legends of the guardians which is adjacent to the top mountain.
    4- the precious reserves,connect by a large scale bridge almost 20 km long
    option a - crystalline chunks
    option b - reserves of the oils
    5- the down side but above the reefs

The water fall runs from the 4th area to the outskirts of the yuliumantis, the main areas are walled.

Churians also belongs to this planet but they live out side the yuliumantis. Churiuns want to take charge of the a/b thing from yuliaris.

These races have been here for 1 million years and they possess the OPTION A/B thing. they have Pretty basic technology, architecture for colony/slums is based of the fossils of the race lived there before them 20 billion years before.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutely fantastic environments sony!

Although east and west are backwards....

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys!

i was thinking that the flying ship could be made out of old shell shape and simple leather wings strapped like dragons wings, open cockpit and dual sitting plane, the yuliari sitting in the back seat will thrust the simple engine and the front yuliari taking down the other flying or locomotive churian with bullets and metal spears carved with delicate work of art by the guardians fellows, this could also be our industrial design, just a thought what you guys think, or we can give full advantage to yuliari and let them have high tech sci fi planes with lots of metallic and matte looking bodies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess this is sorta relevant...a quick study from today...
    Name:  Spiky Sea Shell.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  372.2 KB

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This brushymarsh is teeming with intriguing creatures...

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B/W of a Shrine concept.

Name:  Teamup-shrine.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  144.1 KB

Edit: Spend an extra little bit touching up.

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; July 30th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8