TEAM CHAL: Tredminsters of the Brushymarsh - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    You guys are doing great, lots of activity going on here!!

I still haven't recieved word yet. If still nothing I'm content with 4 members, if that's the case I don't really care for the panels so much (personally), but if someone else wanted to do the panels, then we'd have to discuss what else to leave out instead. Or we could do everything if we wanted....

lets go with the 4 of us then!

I'd much prefer a terrestrial planet like Earth, makes things a bit mroe interesting, plus it leaves a little more freedom with the environments, rather than everything being a desert, or ice, or forest..
    earth kind of atmosphere but some sort of gravitational differences, what you guys say?

The Yuliari could work as more of a primitive race with very minimal technology, or even in more of a mechanical point in technology rather than super advanced.
    Story twist!
    Yuliari of Yulium are friend with human but humans are protecting them as well! this will let us push our selves to conceptualize humans being defeated and rising again for them selves and other species as well. So the guardians will be humans. the creature will be Yuliari people.
    suggestion?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sony View Post
    Story twist!
    Yuliari of Yulium are friend with human but humans are protecting them as well! this will let us push our selves to conceptualize humans being defeated and rising again for them selves and other species as well. So the guardians will be humans. the creature will be Yuliari people.
    suggestion?

The only thing here is that I believe the topic is a singular Guardian. I think to stay as close to the brief as possible, we could twist the story to have the Ancient Alien guardian passing down the torch to a Human deemed worthy to protect the citizens of this planet, sort of like a reverse Superman/Green Lantern concept. Though I liked the idea of having an alien Guardian, I think it gives the story more impact to have the alien protecting both races.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of ancient alien guard, can you please elaborate the word ancient more from your perspective

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I say ancient, I mean an old old alien race. Maybe we had a miscommunication before, I'll elaborate.

The Guardian is not Yuliari, but a far older being, from a race much more advanced than humans or Yuliari, and this Guardian was left behind to protect the planet.

When humans came, running from the Churians after their homeworld was destroyed, they made an agreement to follow the Yuliari laws to be protected by the Alien Guardian, (in the story known as Sentinel).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh that point was missed by me then, I think the illustration will be really interesting, humans & yuliari backed by the guardian and attacked by churians! so we need to design
    1-the guardian(character design)
    2-yuliari(creature design?)
    3-yulium(environment)

flame_unquenchable: Can you please re-write the story or collect the story from post and put a final word with that, so that we all agree on story and lets put that in the first post what you guys say?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress here, btw that logo design is awesome sony. Great job!

Rob powell a great start too, i'm liking 5,6 also. The more feral creatures will make more interesting designs i think in contrast to the humans.

The story put together is prity cool Flame. I was thinking at first that the aliens would be the guardians, but another 'god like' creature which watches over them is prity interesting. It kinda reminds me of the reapers from mass effect but the other way round =p

1 question that popped into my mind about this 'god' guardian though is whats its motive? Why does it protect this planet and its old and new inhabitants? Also trying to put this story forward through an illustration could provide quite a challenge as theres alot of elements to put together in 1 image.

At first (before Flame clarified in the latest post) i imagined the aliens and humans surviving by means of a symbiosis relationship. The feral and physically superior aliens with the intellectual and resourceful humans. The guardian even being a mix of the two races, maybe like a mech suit or something but with the alien planets resources. Maybe even some kind of organic armour or beast produced by the combined effort of two species. It could carry into the other elements of the design too, with alien landscapes or human tech but with other races culture and resources contrasting with each other. And now i'm rambling and should get some art finished, i'll get back to work

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, some quick thumbs for possible environments. I didn't really have much in mind other than some humans in huge unfamiliar/dangerous landscapes. I'm prity much a complete environment noob but its something i keep telling myself i'll improve.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted an explanation but I'm going to rewrite it again in a different format.

Ancient Alien Race creates or affects the development of the Yuliari. Ancient Aliens leave behind a Guardian to protect Yuliari.
    Humans are driven off of Earth by the Churians. Humans find the Yuliari and a safe place to rebuild. The humans agree to live by Yuliari law.
    The guardian protects both the humans and Yuliari now.

That's what I had in mind anyway.
    Hopefully that clears things up.

The enviro wips are getting me excited, I'm going to have to get some Wippin in after I bbq. The excitement about this challenge is building even more!!!

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; July 19th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame_Unquenchable View Post
    I posted an explanation but I'm going to rewrite it again in a different format.
    Flame_Unquenchable: Mate I got your point I was asking to put it in exciting narrative format, like a synopsis for the theme, so when we anyone visit from out side our team will also know the story
    or your guys think we should not leak the story at this stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Flame_Unquenchable View Post
    Ancient Alien Race creates or affects the development of the Yuliari. Ancient Aliens leave behind a Guardian to protect Yuliari.
    Humans are driven off of Earth by the Churians. Humans find the Yuliari and a safe place to rebuild. The humans agree to live by Yuliari law.
    The guardian protects both the humans and Yuliari now.
    so i think these will be our 4 major tasks then
    1-the guardian(character design)
    2-yuliari(creature design?)
    3-yulium(environment)
    4-The guardian's prop(Industrial design)

I will send all of you guys the branding PSD please use that in your footer you can also put your name under the logo as well.

b/w leaving for office will send my thoughts on the thumbs warburton & Flame_unquenchable

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great enviros guys!!

warburton: noob or not, still a good start bottom right seems the most interesting to me at the moment. Could be a neat thumb to accompany the final enviro!

Flame: you may want to boost the lighting on your ship to make it pop, remember the direction the lighting is coming from based on your planets/moons; for the stars try using more of a specular approach with a hard round brush, about a minute of stippling should be enough to get the point across. for the brighter stars applying a soft round brush lightly to show that it's shining a bit...

ok, enough with the crits, haven't really got the chance to paint up some enviros yet, but I'll see if I can wip some up right now!

Also some thoughts;
    the guardian could be more machine like, sort of like an Automaton created from the ancients, it was sort of configured to guard the planets inhabitants. It could remain dormant until the planet is threatened.

Some more thoughts on the tasks...
    Character
    -guardian (obviously)

Creatures
    -Yuliari
    -Churions (if an invasive species can be shown then it could also be looked at, but we can show multiple creatures anyways so we could use both and get away with it, methinks)
    -other fauna of Yulium (just for gits and shiggles, don't need to be more than small thumbs just to showcase the life)

Environments(possibilities)
    -Yulium planet
    -Ancient's ruined cities
    -Guardian's sleeping quarters
    -Colony of humans and Yuliari
    -Other landscapes and terrain around the planet

Industrial
    -Guardian's Prop/weapon

Illustraiton
    -Guardian vs. invaders
    -Guardian's awakening from dormancy

no need to do everything here, just suggestions and thoughts really....but some things could be considered...

also scrounged up some pictures that I plucked from all over, including some concept art from halo, mass effect, and metroid. Had an idea of some kind of shell/conch looking housing for the inhabitants, perhaps they live near an ocean using remnants of extinct molluscks for housing...could be interesting (thus is the reasoning behind the conch and nautilus shells)...if I was any decent at drawing building I may have already had some concepts ready, but I'll try to wip some up either tonight or tommorrow!!

Keep posting those ideas peeps!!!
    Name:  mood board.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  453.0 KB
    oh, on a side note, I took sony's awesome logo and splattered it across the first post!!! Now we look all prufeshmunal!!

Last edited by Rob Powell; July 20th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "this team is of to a flying start!"
    "like a telecommunications analyst in a boxing match
    he just knows when to ring the bell. . . ."

(insert old man laughter here )

Attached Images Attached Images  

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...also scrounged up some pictures that I plucked from all over, including some concept art from halo, mass effect, and metroid. Had an idea of some kind of shell/conch looking housing for the inhabitants, perhaps they live near an ocean using remnants of extinct molluscks for housing...could be interesting (thus is the reasoning behind the conch and nautilus shells)...
    i like that direction for architecture. shell/conch will be give cool shapes. Humans have integrated columns and pillar from their input on architecture as its the third generation of humans living under Yuliari law

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sony View Post
    Flame_Unquenchable: Mate I got your point I was asking to put it in exciting narrative format, like a synopsis for the theme, so when we anyone visit from out side our team will also know the story
    or your guys think we should not leak the story at this stage?
    Communication error on my part again, I wrote a full synopsis in that post, then it was pretty vague so I went back and rewrote it trying to make the points very concise, should have said that was why the post was edited. I didn't think you had missed anything from my 1st explanation.

I will write up a narrative and if we don't want it public I can mail it to each of you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick set of enviro thumbs...getting the hang of it basically, don't really do enough of it...
    Name:  enviro thumbs.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  162.8 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet thumbs Rob. I also took one of your thumbs and did a sketch of a possible Yuliari. My designs are shit so i used yours =p The body is kinda generic but at this stange it was more for fun and to get ideas flowing.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff I was doodling with in my 4x6 scratch pad. Trying to look at composition and get a feel for architecture.

Finally got the branding to look right. Never branded anything before, just signed my name on the final copy. heh

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; July 21st, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress. I may shelve this concept and go back and do more compositions. Have work for a while, so I'll catch you guys later, probably try to drum up some more thumbs this afternoon. The more stuff we have to pick from the better it will be.

Also, How do we want to actually work together on these? Do we want to pass one enviro around until it's done, then do a character, then do whatever? Or do we want to split each task up and just take something until we feel like we need someone else to work it?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flame_Unquenchable: nice new avatar, second composition in your sketch looks nice. For the ship composition, the perspective on the ship is making it looks small, try the scale and less skewed version and you can have some nebula somewhere in background

Warburton: very nice start, rob did really cool heads, the head from rob has extended and forward feel when it connects to the neck, those army belt looks aakhh, I know they are just there for some thing to start, keep it coming cheers

Rob_powell: cool thumbs, what you think about the landscape basic material, sand, rock water? your mood board has very interesting stuff

Did some sketches these two looks with potential: feedback?

[Quote] Also, How do we want to actually work together on these? Do we want to pass one enviro around until it's done, then do a character, then do whatever? Or do we want to split each task up and just take something until we feel like we need someone else to work it? [/qoute]

I think we should hit everything simultaneously and settle at some style and structure we should do passes and passes with each otherís pieces as well. Once we all are synched on basic direction and shapes, After that we can divide the tasks, what you guys think?

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am thinking loud: this is yuliari native, these guys will have clothing inspired by humans as its the third generation of humans living with them, very rough though. will upload the clothing in a while, might give a mechanical arm for symmetry inspired by humans as well.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far guys!

Neat designs for the Yuliari, however I think a less savage look is more appropriate, considering humans wouldn't want to live along side savages. You guys could even work with non humanoid figures for the Yuliari.
    These designs might work better for the churions however.

hey sony, nice enviros, try to make the shells look less Earthly, experiment with some neat shapes to see what you can create.

Unfortunately my internet is currently down (communicating with the phone right now) so I can't upload any sketches I have so far. Keep up the good work though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing around with one of the thumbs I did. Going to generate more today.

Name:  Teamup-ewip1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  280.8 KB

Brain farting on canvas.

Name:  Teamup-ewip2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  417.3 KB

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; July 22nd, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff over lunch, don't have the logo at work.

Name:  guardian.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  169.5 KB
    Name:  enviro.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  158.1 KB

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flame_unquenchable: nice compositions, i would suggest you take your camera close to ground level or at human eye level. try more dynamic framing

did some shapes for shell types

45. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... I think a less savage look is more appropriate, considering humans wouldn't want to live along side savages. You guys could even work with non humanoid figures for the Yuliari.
    These designs might work better for the churions however...
    good observation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sony: haha, not really the shapes I had in mind, but it looks neat. Thing is square and triangular shapes may turn out to be a bit too stylized, those straight edges are very unnatural for something that is supposed to be the remnants of animals, it is most likely that any straight edges may be artificially contructed onto the shells by the humans/yuliari. what I might suggest is think about how these extinct shelled creatures looked like, maybe even make some quick 1-2 min thumbs of these creatures then experiment with the shells to see what you make out of it.

flame: I really like your first enviro thumb, maybe with a little less foreground, but I actually had a similar idea where the colonies of the humans and yuliari are on top of these little plateau-like formations, perhaps part of some group of oceanic atolls or islands. I may do a little paintover of that thumb and see what comes out of it...

before I continue, I just wanna apologize though guys, I haven't done much outside of those head concepts and shitty enviro thumbs, I feel like a coach yelling from the sidelines while you guys are busting your ass on the field....I've been pretty busy with work and haven't really done much at home, cuz I haven't felt like doing much of anything...

but I did however create another little moodboard here...lemmie just explain my intentions here...pretty much thinking aloud here mostly....

highlighted in blue: yuliari and ancient race, I was thinking of some kind of a friendly looking face, the tortoise comes to mind as a very friendly face since they always look like they're smiling , I like thier neck as well, because it has a very alien look to it, think of this small head moving about on the end of this long neck prodding and sniffing at foodstuffs and other objects. also I think the Birrin created by Abiogenesis makes for a good source of inspiration when thinking of intelligent non-humanoid alien races, check out his gallery if you haven't seen it already, really good stuff!

red: churian, creatures such as the xenomorph come to mind as well as the reptilicus from metroid prime 3, I also thought of raptors and the rachni from mass effect, I chose a pic of the raptor from jurassic park 3 cuz the crest looks fairly interesting to me...

green: guardian, found a neat painting of this massive golem, and also thought of the leviathan from the Atlantis cartoon. His weapon could be some sort of giant beam sword, similar to the one off of Halo or something like Optimus Prime's weapons. Perhaps it is built in with some sort of beam projectile-like thingy for distance ass-kickery and stuff (man don't I sound so professional!? XD)

magenta: other thoughts, image on the left is by wayne barlowe, it is a skull of a Emporor Sea Strider (giant alien), think of something like this for the housing with added human and yuliari tech to make it more liveable, other image is 'IT'S A TRAP!!!' haha...those fish headed alien dudes, sort of comes to mind for the ancient race possibly...
    Name:  mood board2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  394.5 KB
    I'll see if I can start getting to work on something actually useful....haha

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I did in the sculptor.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

53. The Following User Says Thank You to sony For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8