Chroma Control
    Wip/Discussion thread

Team members:
    1. Shorinji_Knight
    2. JDSart
    3. penciltipred
    4. TobbA
    5. hekatoncheir

I'm not set on the team name. It is still open for discussion. I just did this as chroma control because I had to write something to open the thread and since I already mentioned this name I figured it would be easier for the other members to find it.

I'm posting this now because so far the topic hasn't been posted and I'm not sure I'll see it until tommorow evening (real world obligations). I wanted to get the ball rolling on this for the other members who may have more time in the mornings to get a start on this.

I think the first order of business would be to settle on a team name.

The second would be to develope a logo for our team.

The third thing would be brainstorming after the topic is posted and finding inspirations. Posting ideas and inspirations here to start getting everyone used to each other's thought processes.

Anything else?.. feel free to add!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shorinji_Knight; July 16th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to penciltipred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool

I had nothing on my desk when i got to work this morning so in the meantime i played a little with a first idea.

Awesome levels just over 9000

I haven´t read the topic yet, just logging in, later on it´ll be nice to start introducing ourselves and get going with ideas to get the ball rolling

Last edited by JDSart; July 16th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The brainstorming has to being somewhere so here i go. Just trowing some thoughts so we can discuss and start digging deeper on this

First thing coming to mind as i read the theme is that the guardian (Character) as a pilot/ engineer of a giant mecha or something like that (industrial) defending a metropolis ( enviro) against a giant monster (creature)

It seems quite obvious and is hard not to remember the cliche gundam, evangelion, etc and all that have been done to death. But there could be an interesting twist in visuals if we think a little. Maybe the metropolis is not Tokio, not NYC or a really advanced looking place, but a derelicted rundown post apocaliptic city, maybe the landscape looks like this for example

Thats Petare, a slum in my city, very much the equivalent of the brazilian Favelas. Thats how i picture a post apocaliptic, densely populated urban areas would look like, The people are still there, in pieces, but haven´t dissapeared, all the infrastructure has gone to hell, same as the economy but life keeps on going and new organizations keep developing technology to make it possible.

Similar to that but using fantasy instead of sci fi, the guardian could be invoking a force of nature to fight for the city, maybe using a special device to awaken that power. could be a powerfull priest invoking a Leviathan in a coast city or a dragon spirit in a place where rivers converge.

Maybe the guardian is the force of nature himslef, like an ancient avatar that has relation with the nature of the landscape. Like an ice giant in the Nordic Mountains protecting the kingdom of an invading force.

Edit: Hey, was just reading "The Canterville Ghost" how about the guardian being like a ghost or a dead persons spirit that haunts a sacred place for for some historical or personal reason, like a castle or ruins. Maybe a celt warrior . Ghost are nothing but the proyection of the past of a place.

Theres a local story of a damned soul that carries chains and not just haunts but is forever haunted himself by a demon dog, creature idea, he could be tomrmented by demons, he could be delaying his passing to the otherworld by clinging to the homeland and wathever rules beyond is not happy about it so he sends subordinates

Last edited by JDSart; July 16th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know wotcha mean
    well for the character male or female
    i leaning to a sci fi -trend such as they what we would consider to be high tech but its still salvaged stuff
    i like the ghost thing maybe its a like a regular guy possed by the spirits of several entities that had a sworn duty that exceeded death to prtect the land

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how like far off do we want the creatures to be from nature?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I read the brief, my first thought was of Dune. Dune had cool technology, but it also had freeman worm riders, spice that had almost magical properties, and a very harsh environment. My other thought was of Blade Runner. The world had such an alive futuristic grittiness to it.
    I like the idea of a science fiction leaning on this, but with a somewhat fantasy interpretation.

JDSart: Nice logo! I like the first story idea better. It has more potential for epic awesomeness than the more introspective story of a ghost. I feel like to stand a chance against some of the heavy weights we're up against, we need to move beyond our usual safe zones and reach for something big.

How about this (loosy based on JDSart's first suggestion) something like an old powerful druidic like order form the distant technological past. The world has almost forgotten its past because it was plunged almost into the dark ages during the 'sundering' (the world was invaded by evil sentient creatures). The druids barely saved the world in the last time. Society has gone on to replace the old ways with a post-apocalyptic society (This could have like a final fantasy feel to it). Anyway, now the evil has returned and the last remaining guardian has to command the Golems (used by the druids during the sundering) to save the world.

Edit: Just reread the rules. The creature has to be from the homeland...

Last edited by Shorinji_Knight; July 16th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by penciltipred View Post
    how like far off do we want the creatures to be from nature?
    Whatever looks cool, but is still believable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright i like it shorinji
    im liking dune for inspiration as far as design wise but environmentally the blade runner aspects like a the outskirts of a populated city its has grown since exponentially since the sundering and has forgotten about the past a=instead of groom its children to protect the land they live for pleasure consumption like akira is youve seen it (great movie) for creatures since they still live on the outskirts they rely on old ways also for travel depending on where u want this to be placed the creatures for travel could be horse based or flying

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penciltipred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking along the lines that maybe the country the guardian lives in has an evil ruler/dictator that supresses the people, and the guardian has to become a vigilante character that protects the people from the ruler and perhaps even leads a rebellion against him...

And if the guardian is some kind of force of nature/spirit that guards the land, maybe it'll rise up against the ruler because he's mistreating the land. The ruler has been using magic/technology to supress the spirit, but something happens which lets it loose.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool guys

A branch of the Spirit idea.

Its interesting that a big deal of those kind of deities in different cultures tend to have two sides to them.

It makes sense seeing how nature is. For example people need water to grow food; too little and the fields die, but too much and it floods and kills it all. So everyone is basically helpless to the wimps of these forces are never evil or good per se, they always need to be respected and revered to try and keep them on human´s on their good side because by themselves they don´t seem to care much for our antics but will quickly act if cross.

What i´m getting at is that the guardian can be both the fair goddes and the beast(creature/monster) at the same time and it depends on humans what version they get.

Think of a thug that ask you money for protection, which he kind of delivers but you don´t have an option since if you don´t pay he`ll be the first one to beat you up. The good side is basically the guarding against his own bad side.

Maybe on the same vein as Tobbas idea, The conflict is not against an external factor but in the homeland itelf, i liking this better since it remains all about life in the same setting.

There are two opposing forces against each other with one in power, and both are deciding the future of the homeland by who can put this element on their side. Each may be appealing to a different side (creative or destructive), and maybe each one has its own devices (industrial) to leverage their cause.

The totalitarian guys try in its nationalistic war-seeking attitude to use the spirit of the city to line up with its cause which he passes as the cause of the motherland who´s interest need to be guarded The opposition tries to get to the creative side to defend the spirit of the place they live in. So both sides think of it as a "Guardian" each in their own way

Last edited by JDSart; July 17th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dictator idea could give some nice visuals, i imagine this city with propaganda on it and narcisistic gargantuan monuments and buildings in the mist of the poornes and grit that normal people live in. Even some rebellion graffiti here and there

We could have the nature of the landscape were the homeland is set in and where the guardian draws its elemental force contrasting with the derelict city suffering with all these social problems.

Mixing past-future, sci fi with magic, all cool, depends, like with everything on how cohesive we make the images, buts that the challenge.

The people in power´s background may come from an ancient order, that has always managed to retain certain power, and used a catastrophe and chaos as leverage to gain political strength, parting on Shorinji´s idea.

Last edited by JDSart; July 17th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we're mixing technology with magic, we could have a highly technological society that's not based on electricity, but some kind of magic force that exists within the land. Maybe the rulers misuse of this power has caused it to start draining. Suddenly it's becoming more and more difficult to supply the city with the power it needs to sustain itself. The only way to set the balance right again is to awaken the guardian.

I like the duality idea. Perhaps we could make the guardian/s have a beast form... That way we'll have the creature and character as one.

Maybe the guardian is actually just a regular joe living in the city. But he somehow finds out that he's the one who's supposed to reset the balance. In the end he transforms into the guardian beast, and also finds out that the ruler has the destructive aspect of the spirit. So they both transform, fight it out and end up merging into the complete being with both aspects to it. (Kinda cliche, i guess, but still)

Maybe the ruler is even trying to be a good guy, albeit with a bit extreme idiological ideas... But he also knows that he has this evil beast within him that he does his best to supress.

The backstory could be that somehow the priesthood of the city got miscontent with the spirit, so they figured out a way to destroy it. But they only thought they killed it. In actuality it just split in two and hid away inside those two people.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick intermission----

Because If the other teams have their soundtrack we so can too!

Weerk it!

At this exact moment i´ll go take care of a few things, later i´ll come back to start researching for visual ideas and getting into it more. My main times of activity are in the morning for logging in and reading the thread/ commenting and so on while i´m at work and and nights when i sit down to sketch with more calm. Hope to read from y´all soon

Last edited by JDSart; July 17th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys have been throwing out lots of good stuff here! Keep it coming.

Ok I've been trying to get some ideas down. I wrote this out this morning I was trying to incorperate all of the ideas mentioned so far and I added a few of my own. I'm pleased to see that for the most part we're all thinking along very simular lines.

Here's what I got:

The creatures have always been considered sacred, but have recently turned hostile and have been attacking the cities.

The civilization transformed almost overnight (about 50yrs) from the dark ages to almost futuristic. Because of this, everything is constantly being retrofitted resulting in a historical yet futuristic look.

Since the collapse (or sundering) of the past technologically advanced civilization the world reverted into being controlled by regional governors many of them war lords. Almost everything was lost from the past yet there are plenty of megalithic artifacts to attest to the wonders of the lost epoch.
    An archeological dig surfaced a treasure trove of knowledge (some artifact for the industrial design purposes). The lead scientist wanted to use the information for the betterment of all, but his financers saw a potential for profit and they formed a corporation.

The creature is secretly being used as an energy source that is the basis of their technology.

Since the company controlled the new technology and because nobody existed to keep it in check, it quickly consolidated its power of the homeland.
    There is a minor resistance from those who are suspect of the technology. Together with the threat of the creatures and the resistance, the company is forced to employ a strong military.

The character is a member of the military. He has an encounter with the spiritual essence of the homeland. With his new found faith he must lead a growing rebellion against the powerful world corp.

Thoughts?

Once we've pretty well settled on our idea, I think it would be good to start thumbnailing and posting reference/inspirations to get the awesome flowing. We can still tweak the concepts if we have better ideas later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    If we're mixing technology with magic, we could have a highly technological society that's not based on electricity, but some kind of magic force that exists within the land. Maybe the rulers misuse of this power has caused it to start draining. Suddenly it's becoming more and more difficult to supply the city with the power it needs to sustain itself. The only way to set the balance right again is to awaken the guardian.

I like the duality idea. Perhaps we could make the guardian/s have a beast form... That way we'll have the creature and character as one.

Maybe the guardian is actually just a regular joe living in the city. But he somehow finds out that he's the one who's supposed to reset the balance. In the end he transforms into the guardian beast, and also finds out that the ruler has the destructive aspect of the spirit. So they both transform, fight it out and end up merging into the complete being with both aspects to it. (Kinda cliche, i guess, but still)

Maybe the ruler is even trying to be a good guy, albeit with a bit extreme idiological ideas... But he also knows that he has this evil beast within him that he does his best to supress.

The backstory could be that somehow the priesthood of the city got miscontent with the spirit, so they figured out a way to destroy it. But they only thought they killed it. In actuality it just split in two and hid away inside those two people.
    I like this idea and I think the idea that JDSart had about the spirt/ghost would work well here also. We just need a way to intigrate all of our ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by penciltipred View Post
    alright i like it shorinji
    im liking dune for inspiration as far as design wise but environmentally the blade runner aspects like a the outskirts of a populated city its has grown since exponentially since the sundering and has forgotten about the past a=instead of groom its children to protect the land they live for pleasure consumption like akira is youve seen it (great movie) for creatures since they still live on the outskirts they rely on old ways also for travel depending on where u want this to be placed the creatures for travel could be horse based or flying
    I kinda picture the creature as being something special. Its big, but not a Colossus. It should have a certain predatory nobility to it. Like a lion. It is something to be respected and feared.

So for transit I think the rebellion would make use of the creatures, but the regime would use its tech.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it shorinji
    and i agree on the creature the creature should have more importance
    no idea what i was enviosionig i basically imagined a big strong creature but so common and domesticated it almost equalivant to a dog:/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to penciltipred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The civilization transformed almost overnight (about 50yrs) from the dark ages to almost futuristic. Because of this, everything is constantly being retrofitted resulting in a historical yet futuristic look.

Since the collapse (or sundering) of the past technologically advanced civilization the world reverted into being controlled by regional governors many of them war lords. Almost everything was lost from the past yet there are plenty of megalithic artifacts to attest to the wonders of the lost epoch.
    An archeological dig surfaced a treasure trove of knowledge (some artifact for the industrial design purposes). The lead scientist wanted to use the information for the betterment of all, but his financers saw a potential for profit and they formed a corporation.

The creature is secretly being used as an energy source that is the basis of their technology.

Since the company controlled the new technology and because nobody existed to keep it in check, it quickly consolidated its power of the homeland.
    There is a minor resistance from those who are suspect of the technology. Together with the threat of the creatures and the resistance, the company is forced to employ a strong military.
    I like the idea of a corporation using the creature to draw out its energy and by doing this made themselves the most powerful men in the country. They could either become the countries rulers, or just essentially rule it anyway because of their huge influence and corrupt politicians. This would also account for a lot of fast technological progress, because they essentially have access to limitless power. But of course nobody knows they're using the creature to get their power. If that secret came out the people would probably rise up and try to stop them.

This could still tie in with the duality idea. The guardian creature was split into two when it was thought to be destroyed. The corporation found the boy (or girl) with the creative aspect of the creature inside him, and took him to use his powers.

The main character is actually the person with the destuctive aspect of the creature inside him. And he has to overcome it in order to do the right thing and stop the corporation so that the creature can be remerged and become the true guardian. (The destructive aspect of the creature doesn't actually want to reunite with his other half.)

Perhaps this 'sundering' was when an evil force that threatened the land, and in the end the guardian creature sacrificed himself in order to save what was left of it. The society before was a highly technologicaly advanced civilization, which there are lots of legends about, but noone remembers how the technology worked. The corporation claims they've rediscovered the power that drove all the ancient machines, but in fact they're just 'cheating'.

As for the creature being a common domesticated animal... I don't see how one thing excludes the other. Perhaps we should focus on the one that is the most relevant to the story to begin with, though.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

31. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hekatoncheir come party with us bro!

-----------
    I browsed for refs and visuals, next post will be images.
    For the meantime while i set it up. more ideas on this. So many words

I think the Homeland is the real main character in all of this. Is imagining the world that will give us everything else i believe. So from what all have shared this is where is taking me:

So this is a world that went to a great disaster, countries, organizations, goverments, economy, all to the ground.

Years after society starts rising again as the different population groups that are left start coming together for survival.

This coming together of the population and building of a one big world society is kickstarted and made possible by a driving group, one man maybe backed up by an organization that would have the force to do this task.

This people are using force for bringing order for what has become complete anarchy. ( think a bit on how Ghenghis joined all the mongol tribes together).

Once unity is accomplished the developing of a new society starts, and keeping so many people, all in a boiling pot of races and cultures under control would take a very strong regime.

And the succes of this regime comes from the massive and rapid development that is made possible by a new never before seen power source, a mineral which on itself does´nt hold energy but serves as a conductor of energy from another plane , magic! they had gods and priests, and warlocks before the catastrophe, and now this sacred power on their side. IT could have elemental qualities, it would be something that can be molded and transformed to a million and a half uses and it actually has the possibility of being used for creation.

So this is basically a group of ancient people suddenly jumpling to a futuristic world in a short span of time (so the mixed elements on the visuals would have a base also). All thanks to this resource which is basically like oil, coal, electricity, gas, steam and boobs together, everything is powered by some form of it thanks to the mineral production and refinement industry.

This is the background to our setting, now to the main elements

The Homeland more specifically the main city where all of this is happening, a great capital of this new society. It could be a port, center to commerce and industry with very important strategic location for resource extraction. And of course a boiling pot of people and the first place were all development takes place.

The bad side of all this is something like what happened in the industrial revolution, technology advances faster than this people can cope with and properly adapt to so urban social life here is a heavy matter . It also places a lot of power and confidence in the regime , that creates a nationalist and absolutist actitude toward this brave new world they are making.

My idea for the Guardian , it is actually a man-made, phisical manifestation of this pure power. Is a being made entirely by this energy. The portal is not bringing an existing entity to this world but amassing all of the huge ammount of energy that need to be taken from the other plane at once to be then transformed into this semi ethereal being.

The idea is to make a Self sufficient, titan protector of the realm against any new apocalipse, against all possible enemies, this thing is something like Dr Manhattan from Watchmen. A guardian to perpetuate this new society till the end of time and ensure the future of mankind under this new and ultimate regime.

Their basically making a God. And it would make sense to give him the aspect of a deity of ancient or one that is no more. The idea of trying to make a copy of the god that sacrificed himself in the catastrophe seems nice.

Divinity
    Destruction

Of course you´ll need an inmense and dangerous device to make this happen. It could be the main industrial design. Even tough this is a place with lots of industrial elements on the landscape(Factories, industrial complexes, mines, construction)

But as to be expected this being gets corrupted and becomes the beast, an amorphous horrific creature ultimately set to destruct itself and end life for good, in an Akiraish manner. What i imagine is a monstrous melting quimera.

This chat is very , very fun for getting immersed on the subject and getting on the same page, after all we don´t know each other from before and is a good exercise to get going but more than plot we need to outline the setting in a more "to the point" kinda way and end up with our own concise and ready to go brief to base our design choices. Things that show and make an difference on the visuals.

I propose first to look for real world reference, look mythology too, settings, people, all that. And then visual styles, already existing works by other artists that will serve for guidance.

Last edited by JDSart; July 18th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm fine with either story route, both have strengths and weaknesses. The only concern I have is that we hit all of the design requirements with the story line. I think the goal we should focus on is the panels. That has the most work and requires a script. If we knock that out of the way early we can concentrate on what we all do best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some inspirations!

Attached Images Attached Images  

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres many ways to make a comic,not necessarily all panels need be fully rendered figure + backgrounds in high detail, we can make a it with a limited color palette, and simpler inking or we can make it black and white with a noir feel. Maybe something like Otomo, with just linework.

We can make like a propaganda add for this regimes "birth of the guardian" in black and white, WWII style, that at the end zooms out of the tv to show the beast exploding this city to pieces in the background far off.

If the other parts of the challenge are complicated then we need to make something simpler, with idea over rendering in the comic. The main pro that i was thinking with something the ghost that haunts a place idea is how it is much simpler to work with and holds less burden of all the elements.

Some more images
    (Some Akira, Moebius, classic film Metropolis, Syd Mead bladerunner art and Craig Mullins)
    Name:  ref.png
Views: 913
Size:  1.28 MB

Last edited by JDSart; July 18th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice refs!

Yeah The panels themselves aren't really the issue. I'm thinking in terms of the panels because that is where the story arc really comes into play. Also all of the other requirements are all rolled up in one with the panels.

We could simplify some things and that might be the smart thing to do in terms of the contest. For me this isn't so much about winning as it is artistic growth, so for my part I wanta try to push it to the max!

I can't wait until I have a little free time to start painting! This weekend, I want to start loading this thread with art. Lets give the other teams something to sweat guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

41. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the idea with creating a god could work. But I think since it's all about creating a character, we need to make it a bit more relateable than just this huge energy based being. So perhaps it's the ruler of the nation that uses this huge machine to make himself into a godlike being in order to, in his own mind at least, become the guardian of the homeland while also furthering his own power. (And yes, still stuck on the story But I think it's an important aspect of making things interesting designwise as well...)

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I think the idea with creating a god could work. But I think since it's all about creating a character, we need to make it a bit more relateable than just this huge energy based being. So perhaps it's the ruler of the nation that uses this huge machine to make himself into a godlike being in order to, in his own mind at least, become the guardian of the homeland while also furthering his own power. (And yes, still stuck on the story But I think it's an important aspect of making things interesting designwise as well...)
    I think you have a point here about making the character relatable. I like the idea of the idea of the dictator having awesome powers, but for the character, I think we should go with a bit of an underdog. Like David and Goliath where good has to surmount almost impossible odds, yet triumphs in the end. The story that we have is very strong we just have to nail down the details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like an another perspective on our story direction. Hekatoncheir: If you get a chance, what are your thoughts on this? Like it?... hate it?... ideas to make it better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there can be many characters in the world of course... Definately a hero as well, who needs to stop the evil ruler at some point. But we need one character who is the guardian, because that's what the brief says.

As far as actually writing a story, I think that's only needed for the panels. And we could really decide exactly what kind of story we want to tell within the world we've created when we reach that point.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe hekaton is having a busy week, it happens.

I like the approach of everyone taking a stab at everything, we may need to divide the work for the finals but i´d personally like if we can pick and choose from everyone´s sketches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22