Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear and Learning in ConceptArt (Updated not-so-daily!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Fear and Learning in ConceptArt (Updated not-so-daily!)

Newest stuff on the last page (duh)!
    Ignore this, just the thread thumbnail
    Name:  sugar baby april 2 crop.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  32.5 KB
    Original post below.

Hey all,
    A year ago I signed up and posted some stuff in a sketchbook. Then I looked around the website a bit, got scared at the realization that my skill level is a lot lower than most of the regulars around here, and took off with my tail between my legs.

Well, I'm back. I'm still scared, but I'm back. And I want to learn, draw, and experiment more.

I'm entering first year university for studio art this September (2012). I want to get the most out of my classes as possible, and I know a lot of that lies in myself. Anyways, enough jabber. Here's some work from the last week.

(next post)
    Last edited by keeptime; July 16th, 2014 at 09:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Name:  environment with value push reduced size.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  fw3mmv.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  41.1 KB
    Name:  cat_skull_by_thisismyboat-d579n60.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  130.4 KB
    Name:  birds.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  112.8 KB
    Name:  allnightout.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  345.7 KB

I bought a small sketchbook so I can draw on the bus. Let me know if I should scan sketches like these or if it's okay if I just take pictures.

Something's bothering me about the jawline but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Last edited by keeptime; July 16th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    I bought a small sketchbook so I can draw on the bus. Let me know if I should scan sketches like these or if it's okay if I just take pictures.

Something's bothering me about the jawline but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    The jawline can be a booger in that pose. My suggestion? Nail down the head and hands before going after the full Monty. You have a good start on proportion, but, for example, the ring finger gives the woman the appearance of a deformity. As artists we can be kind. If she has a deformity, we can correct it as a compliment to an otherwise pretty face.
    Look up Bertram Chandler "Redezvous on a lost World." The cover has a similar difficulty. As of this point, work on penumbra.

Does that help?
    http://chronic.tempathy.net/page3.php

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...56#post3545456

Thanks
    Hey Ive just started my own sketchbook for the exact same reasons goodluck!! I like the skull and the environment piece real sense of depth. With that jaw line, with the way her head is id image the right side of the jawline to go up rather than down, and for there to be a gap between the neck lines and jaw lines (drawn lines). Because its such an extreme angle. Just my 2 cents

Thanks
    how do i show my avatar in the main forum thread?Mine is blank,help please?
    Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, njc.

Started another environment piece. I learned how to adjust my Photoshop brush to be more pressure-sensitive and it's made things quite a bit easier. I wanted to start a new one because I don't think my first one is very solid compositionally, and now that I sort of have the idea of how to scale values there's no reason I shouldn't try to step it up. Forests are so much harder than mountains! Still working on this one, about two and a half hours in. Right now it reminds me of the old school Pokemon openings for Gameboy.

Thanks
    I like the new environment, composition is much better. I can imagine this looking awesome with some parallax movement on the layers.
    Also welcome back to CA

Thanks
    Thanks Jacky-Boy! I'm unfamiliar with the term parallax movement. Do you mind explaining it a bit?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the term parallax movement. Do you mind explaining it a bit?
    Have you played Angry Birds?

In that gameplay video, when the camera moves, you can see that the background islands move in different speed than the midground red rocks.
    Basically it just means that there's parallax layers (frontground of the sea bottom, midground of the rocky islands, background with the tree-islands/clouds, etc) and they move at different rates, the things in the horizon move slower than the things in the frontground and so on.
    Same effect can be seen while driving/on a train, the bushes that are nearest to you zoom past very fast but the things far in horizon move a lot less.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Oh yeah, this. We actually talked about it quite a bit in a psychology course I took because we had to understand how the brain perceives visual cues (including but not limited to: light, texture, line, perspective...who would have thought a psychology course would help so much with art?). Who knows, maybe I'll see if I can pull this off when it's finished.

Scrapped A LOT of stuff. All the pondside bushes, the pond lighting, and pretty much all of the grass in the foreground. None of it was doing it for me. Only spent about an hour and a half on this today and I don't feel like I made much progress. Somehow I don't feel like the pond and the bushes beside it are reading very well. Maybe too many midtones? Also I'm struggling with making the pond look like a still pond, rather than a body of water with a current to it.

Drew some raccoons today to prepare for the little guy in the painting. Got lazy with the fur for the one on the left and now it looks like he has some lion/porcupine genes in him.

Thanks
    At my dad's place for the rest of the week. Here is a page of sketches I did maybe about a month or two ago. The first two are from images of Christina Applegate back in her Kelly Bundy days. I'm not really a fan of the big one. I think I went overboard on the shading in her face which is making her look very old, and turning her into a brunette was pretty dumb. The other two images are just from the figure drawing tool over at pixelovely. Not sure how much time was spent on these. They were all done with a regular ballpoint pen.

Thanks
    Did more art reading than art creating today. I was out on the town and tried to draw some strangers but I just couldn't seem to get it. One of those days, I suppose. The dog skull was quickly referenced off the internet. I wanted to just get the main contours down and then shaded it on my own, hence why the lighting is pretty bad.

Thanks
    I don't feel like I understand anything.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast