Sketchbook: Fear and Learning in ConceptArt (Updated not-so-daily!) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Fear and Learning in ConceptArt (Updated not-so-daily!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey!

WOooo!!!!!!!!!!Nice anatomy studies up there!!! Keep on posting and working hard! Dont ever stop drawing!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things are off to a great start, but I will refer back to what someone mentioned in an earlier post and say that perspective is the number one thing you should be concerning yourself with. Can you CONVINCINGLY draw a cube in 1 point perspective? How about 2 point, or 3 point? What about a sphere? A cylinder? These basic shapes and forms are what combine to make up EVERYTHING you'll be trying to draw from here on out, and if you can draw these in each of these perspectives, from any conceivable angle, then you are off to an enormous start when it comes to trying to draw something as complex as the human figure.

Also, when it comes to learning anatomy, I found myself completely lost when staring at an anatomy book and trying to draw what I saw. At the end of a "copying session" (since that's really all I was doing), I hadn't actually absorbed anything and felt just as confused as I was going into it. I recommend trying to learn the forms first, then after you've gotten a general idea for how the body is comprised of simple volumes (elongated spheres wrapping around cylinders for the arm and its muscles, for example) THEN you can go and add names, functions, and more specifics to these basic shapes you've become familiar with. Start with the most general idea you can then go more and more specific as you become comfortable. An excellent book to help with this is Micheal Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention.

Sorry for the essay-long post, but I hope some of this will help you out. Great start, and like someone else said, looking back I totally wish I could've started learning this stuff at the age you are now. Good luck on everything!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, thank you for the huge post Frenik. It gave me the kick in the butt I needed to practice perspective. I'm confused about how to draw a sphere in perspective though. Isn't a sphere just a circle until the lighting comes in? How can that be warped in perspective?

I also have Michael Hampton's book in my bookmarks, just one of those things I haven't gotten around to because I'm lazy. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I did only a little bit of perspective work tonight. I might come back to it later on. I found out I struggle a lot with vertical cylinders, so it's nice to know that's a weakness I can work on.
    Name:  Perspective sept 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  92.7 KB

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How the fuck do you do triangular prisms in three point perspective
    Name:  Perspective sept 22 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  56.5 KB

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started working through the Hampton book. I can't believe I've been putting it off so long. Lots of great new information for me in there. Didn't draw too much, just worked through some of the examples and then doodled a bit in my lectures. Still learning to get back into the groove of things. Apologies for the light pencil drawings.
    Name:  Hampton sept 24 2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  133.5 KB
    Name:  Hampton sept 24.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  81.5 KB
    Name:  lecturedoodles Sept 24.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much for updating daily! I've been assigned a 'zine project for studio art class so the free time I'd be spending drawing has been spent on this project instead. Here's the handful of stuff I've drawn, plus the 'zine WIP pages I've done so far. I'm not much one for layout and graphic design so it's a new challenge.
    Name:  sketch.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  82.3 KB
    Name:  sketch2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  130.3 KB
    Apologies again for the overexposed scans. I'll have to fiddle with my settings eventually.

Guess what this 'zine is about. Go on, guess. The right page is an old drawing I did from a photo, though I've long lost the reference.
    Name:  zinecover.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  265.6 KB

Left page still needs an image of some sorts. The right page also still needs a lot of work (the text is still in its first draft). What I didn't know was that when you switch a project from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop, it automatically compresses all your layers into the background. I lost a couple of pages to this switch. I might wipe out the entire page and start from scratch again instead of trying to manipulate individual pixels.
    Name:  zine progress unwritten.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  333.0 KB
    These two pages had text that continued from the last page. I removed it because I didn't feel like sharing my entire history on CA

Name:  zine progress2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  370.9 KB
    Not a huge fan of the left page, but everyone I've shown it to so far loves the handwritten text and the amateurishness of it. This was another page compressed to one layer by the RGB -> CYMK switch, which is a real bummer because it's a lot of work to redo if I change it later on. The right page might be my favourite so far, though obviously is nowhere close to being done.

I would LOVE any critique you guys could give me on this. As I said before, I'm really not good with layout and graphic design, and I'm not sure if I'm making one giant eyesore with this 'zine. I really want to try printing in colour, which I realize has added another difficulty level for this project.

Last edited by keeptime; September 27th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bird of prey rehabilitation group is on campus today raising money for a new facility. I was less than a foot away from some of these guys. Going to go back right away to get some more sketches, but these were the ones I did earlier today. Edit: Or not! They were packing away the birds when I came back. Oh well.
    Name:  hawk.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  192.8 KB
    Name:  kestrel.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  212.6 KB

Last edited by keeptime; September 27th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    I bought a small sketchbook so I can draw on the bus. Let me know if I should scan sketches like these or if it's okay if I just take pictures.

Something's bothering me about the jawline but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    The jawline can be a booger in that pose. My suggestion? Nail down the head and hands before going after the full Monty. You have a good start on proportion, but, for example, the ring finger gives the woman the appearance of a deformity. As artists we can be kind. If she has a deformity, we can correct it as a compliment to an otherwise pretty face.
    Look up Bertram Chandler "Redezvous on a lost World." The cover has a similar difficulty. As of this point, work on penumbra.

Does that help?

http://chronic.tempathy.net/page3.php

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...56#post3545456

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking the time to critique that piece, but it was something I drew three months ago. I've been working on heads and hands throughout this thread and any critique on those would be much more helpful as they're more reflective of my current abilities.

I was stuck in the waiting room for two hours today just to get a birth control prescription, so I took the opportunity to draw some people. Still really out of practice, but feeling a bit better than I was when I first moved here.
    Name:  sketch sept 28 2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  sketch sept 28.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  59.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Zine update:
    Name:  zine progress unwritten.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  365.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...46#post3545346

I could get along with you.

I've seen some of your anatomy, the skulls (cats?) the dinos?, yes, the people...

This is one thing I learned while working as an EE at FedEx during the early 80's. Some of the illustrators there became friends (Memphis, TN) and they had me do some airbrush work of dirigibles and such along with redesigning the wiring on 737's... (tedious)

Put your pencil or pen down and draw. I had the same sketching habit. One instructor told me I sketched like a sculptor. When learning to do signage, I had to learn how to pull a long straight line with a quill and just the right viscosity of enamel, or in using temperas with a chisel point brush, aka truck lettering brush. Doing lettering helps imensely in learning to put the point down and moving the contour where you want it.

Do you hold your pencil like you do when you write?

Dr. C.

http://chronic.tempathy.net/page3.php

This should allow for the largest I have of these images at the moment without re-scanning or even re-photographing them. I'll keep adding more.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...56#post3545456

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u might say some of the artists are amazing here but even those artist started somewhere and they were not so good in the beginning!!
    sometimes u might think im just bad but if u compare your current work to the time when you were just starting you will see the improvement ..thats the big picture!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do hold my pencil for drawing the same as when I write. Yeah, I know my sketchy lines are a bad habit I have to get rid of. I think a big problem is I don't draw every day like I used to, and so I always feel sort of intimidated now when I draw. I'm trying really hard to get my self-discipline back that I had from when before I moved.

Some gestures, more lecture doodles, and some 'zine WIP. I finished off a sketchbook! Took a year and a half, which is waaaay too long. I'm going to have to practice more often so that doesn't happen again.
    Name:  gestures sept 30 2.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  143.3 KB
    Name:  gestures sept 30.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  lecturedoodles oct 1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  311.1 KB
    Name:  Bont Jet.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  395.2 KB
    I made the frame too short for the skate which is squashing the wheels, so I'll have to stretch it out and start over again.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You know, its not cheating t do a drawing in pen and then scan it and manipulate in PS.
    At least, I do it all the time and it seems to work fine. Its certainly a more productive use of your time than
    starting all over again because you measured something wrong.
    you should alayws be trying to find ways to do things quicker, or do more in less time, not the other way round.

good luck!

Name:  dsadas.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  153.0 KB

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, thanks a ton VK. It's like God came down from the heavens and asked if I needed a hand with my groceries.

More lecture doodles, the work I did today in my studio class for my 'zine, and some more work on the skate that'll go on the cover. Crunch time! One week left and 13 more pages still to go. Aaah.
    Name:  lecturedoodles oct 2 2.jpg
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  lecturedoodles oct 2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  204.2 KB
    Name:  skate shelf small.jpg
Size:  286.6 KB
    Name:  coverWIP.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  51.6 KB
    Name:  PIC_1445.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  239.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Front cover for the 'zine.
    Name:  cover WIP2.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Hampton studies. Must draw more!
    Name:  hampton oct 6 2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  274.8 KB
    Name:  hampton oct 6 3.jpg
Size:  229.4 KB
    Name:  hampton oct 6.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  252.5 KB
    Why are my sketchbooks always too big for my scanners

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more gestures I've done over the past few days. Want to do some more perspective studies soon.
    Name:  gestures oct 9 2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  485.9 KB
    Name:  gestures oct 9 3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  392.4 KB
    Name:  gestures oct 9 4.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  273.3 KB
    Name:  gestures oct 9.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  332.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some two-point perspective work, plus the three-point cube on the left. The shading is sort of random because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to light.
    Name:  Perspective oct 10.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  234.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some thumbs in my lecture notes and then took the two I liked the most and ran them through photoshop. Started work on the one on the left, but I think I might try to do both depending on how my interest holds.

Name:  dragonthumbs.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  29.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, just keep at it! Like your landscape studies

Sketchbook -------- Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Certainly living up to my tag line lately. I drew my mouse at work today and that's been about it. I did some reptile gestures the other day but they're not really worth looking at since they're all drawn on top of each other.
    Name:  life drawing october 13.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  204.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff from work. Didn't have time to finish the cloth.
    Name:  life drawing october 14 2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  224.6 KB
    Name:  life drawing october 14.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  100.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drew a guest speaker during his lecture, then tried drawing my crocodile skull again before getting frustrated and giving up.
    Name:  lecturedoodles oct 16.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  393.8 KB
    Name:  life drawing october 16.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  331.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried painting some of the view from my window. Free-handed over about an hour and a half in the evening (around laundry, dinner, etc), so the light had changed outdoors a lot by the time I was finished. I found the orange light from the greenhouse very difficult to replicate, and even now I'm not happy with it.
    Name:  life painting oct 18.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  194.4 KB
    Name:  PIC_1481.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  241.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought it'd be fun to try and do a self-portrait. Really struggling with that forearm and not having it look muddy.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  51.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some reading on painting skin, then saw how horrible it looked and restarted. Still not really happy with it, but it looks better than before.Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 95
Size:  133.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bird and crocodile head sketches are my favorites. I wish I could give you a more detailed critique, but all a newbie like me can say is keep on going!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep forgetting to update. Here's some stuff I've done in lectures. I bought one of those fancy 4-in-1 pens so it's making doodling a blast.Name:  hampton oct 23.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  172.4 KB
    Name:  lecturedoodles oct 23.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  477.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick horse drawings.
    Name:  gestures oct 23 2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  285.3 KB
    Name:  gestures oct 23.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  444.0 KB

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6