Sketchbook: Fear and Learning in ConceptArt (Updated not-so-daily!) - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time I've ever done one of these. It was meant to be quick but I think I spent longer than I intended to on it. Original is here, just uploaded it for sizing reasons. Not sure who took the photo.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one! These are tough. Clouds really kill me.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drew some animals at the zoo. I went back with photoshop just to make the lines clearer on some pages.
    It's not hard to guess what class of animal is my favourite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sb, the digital studies are coming in nice! keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the difis aren't looking too bad, the colours are pretty accurate. Justt keep up the hard work, it all pays off in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, don't do figure drawings for a week and suddenly it's like doing them for the first time again. I don't think I can do the shorter time limits with a tablet. I find myself putting a lot of pressure in my arm trying to stay within the boundaries of the tablet while working quickly. Going to have to switch to paper for these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study of my art supply graveyard on my desk (ie pencils, pens, etc. I'm too scared to throw away on the off-chance I'll need them). I was so terrifying of messing up the line art that I took five or six pictures of it just to make sure I had at least one good photo. Ink is my favourite medium but I never practice it due to being unconfident with it and afraid I'll ruin my line art. I don't think I did too bad of a job though. Probably could have worked on defining the forms better.

Last edited by keeptime; August 19th, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I like that you're doing a lot of different studies. I'm currently stalled because I've been doing the same sort of studies for too long, so variety is a good thing to keep in mind.

An exercise I've found very useful when doing gestures is to draw the pose from memory. For instance, say I'm drawing a figure from a photograph: I'll spend a minute or so looking at the photograph, then put it away and draw what I can remember. This makes my bad habits pretty obvious.

Keep up the good work and have fun!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The picture idea is a pretty good one. Never heard of it before! I might have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the kind words on variety. I've been sort of worried that by doing so many different studies I wouldn't really learn anything because I'm scattered too far all over the place, so it's good to hear the opposite isn't the best method either. Good luck with your studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to do the microphone on my desk. Probably went a bit too soft and large with the brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dilemma of the day. I'm hoping if I concentrate hard enough, I'll be able to wrap up puberty by tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice to see you do so many studies and also draw from life, it definitely helps
    Be careful with your facial proportions - you tend to make the chin too small sometimes. If the Loomis head confuses you (it does confuse me), maybe Michael Hampton helps:

Name:  Michael-Hampton---Figure-Drawing-(Design-And-Invention).jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  44.2 KB

Hope you'll have a great time at university!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyraina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the helpful diagram! You're definitely right about my chins. I'll have to practice more heads and figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can never tell if it's a nose issue or a lip issue.

Did all the line art for Janet and Rocky last night and then shaded Rocky's body this morning. Will keep working on it. I swear I'll scan this one when it's finished. Original's here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies!
    definitely seeing improvements from post 1 - keep going!(I try saying that to myself
    as well..hehe (: )

on the last pic - her face is out of proportion(eye is too much to the left and down
    and her face need to turn more upwards, head too big)
    and his body need to go more dark
    but itis in a good direction!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pffft, of course I didn't see your comment until after I had rendered Janet's face. I tried fixing the eye a bit but didn't want to completely redo the head so far in (booooo lazy artist booooo). I went back and tried to darken the values all around too. I need to figure out how to blend graphite properly because I feel like I lose my values like crazy when I blend. Anyways, think I'm finished with this piece now. Probably spent somewhere between 3.5-4.5 hours on it.

Last edited by keeptime; August 20th, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Suppose it would help if I attached the damn photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe..yeah now it will be difficult to erase the head, cause it will smudge it all.
    I would have started a new one - just to benefit from the practice and learn my mistakes..=P

about the rendering - I think u should start with simple hatching, and now smudging and stuff..the render will go naturally as u keep going
    I think thisis easy
    to read

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improvement since the first post is already becoming clear, great work!
    What you might wanna do to further improve your figure drawing (apart from the perspective bit already mentioned) is looking up arm and leg bones+muscles. Right now the proportions, length and shape of these limbs vary greatly from sketch to sketch. On Loomis FDFAIW page 50 and 51 he talks about 'Landmarks'; important places where the human figure has certain bumps, dents and overlapping lines, memorising these might be of help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Compi'n, hatching is actually how I start when I render with pencil! I always worry that it looks messy, so then I smudge it and lose my values/definition, haha. Reading through your link (helpful, thanks!) I realized that I don't really follow the contours of the form. I'll have to remember to start doing that.

@Heyriel, thanks! Arm/leg bone/muscles are actually on the menu for tomorrow, believe it or not. They're part of the newbie study group assignment due Wednesday. You're definitely right about how shakey I am with them. It's been bugging me for a while but I've never gotten around to studying it. Ooh, you reminded me about how I've been meaning to work on perspective too. No rest for the weary! Thanks for going through the trouble of getting the exact page for "Landmarks" too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legs! Not sure if this was the best way to present it. Did the bones in ink and then went over the muscles with pencil crayon. Arms to come later.

Bad crop job in MS Paint? Nah, you must be imagining things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Annnd the arms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The piece with the man holding the woman... the shading is really blocky and fake looking. The woman's hair also resembles plastic wrap. Nevertheless, still a great image and nice sketch book. I DEMAND MOAR.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you mind clarifying what you mean by blocky and fake looking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like it doesn't progress smoothly from one value to another, so it makes the surface look like metal or hard plastic. Whenever that happens to me, i just touch up the edges where the dark meets the light with my shady thingy (lol, i don't even know the name) until it looks smooth. Did you use a photo ref?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TheApprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, now I see where you're coming from. That makes sense now. Yeah, I don't own one of those things you're talking about (the name is escaping me too!). I used a bit of rolled up kleenex to blend. The reference is here: https://thegeekymommy.files.wordpres...ckytouchal.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to photo shop or something like that and change the color scheme to grayscale. It gets more values out, especially if you're using a pencil. Also, you should get some shady thingies. Some are super narrow and i imagine more accurate than kleenex.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TheApprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was feeling lazy today so I did some torso sketches and then a half hour of gestures. I keep seeing this torso in other people's sketchbooks and I think it makes more sense to me than Loomis. Does anyone know whose method it belongs to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy moley, I think it's workin'!

I moved cities, jumped into a studio art program at the local university, and totally forgot to eat or practice art. I'm trying to get back onto a regular schedule now, but as you can see I'm completely out of practice. Most of my drawings nowadays are done in lectures with pen, just trying to get the swing of things again. I did a bit of Loomis + gestures yesterday and today in my dorm as well. Sorry about the cluttered nature of all of these.
    Name:  Microphone 2 sept 15 12.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  74.5 KBName:  gestures sept 19 2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  87.2 KBName:  gestures sept 19.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  123.8 KBName:  lecturedoodles Sept 15 skeleton.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  74.1 KBName:  lectureDoodles Sept 15.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  349.8 KBName:  lectureDoodles Sept 19 2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  116.5 KBName:  lectureDoodles Sept 19 3.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  69.5 KBName:  lectureDoodles Sept 19.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  284.7 KBName:  loomis sept 19.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  108.1 KB

As a side note, this was done during the third hour of critique in my first-year studio class:
    Name:  lectureDoodles Sept 19 4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  54.8 KB

Last edited by keeptime; September 21st, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't do much last night, just practiced a little bit more Loomis and then played around in Photoshop without any direction.
    Name:  loomis sept 21.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  161.7 KB
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  15.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Thanks for the comment on my sketchbook~

You're making a lot of progress in your studies! For your shorter poses though, I would recommend you try to use more confident lines. By that I mean don't be afraid to press hard and make a long stroke. What helped me a lot was drawing in pen, because it forces you to think more carefully before placing your lines (since you can't erase them). For your gestures, keep in mind the line of action!

As for your paintings, I think learning up on color theory will help you a lot! Things in real life reflect the color of objects around them so keep that in mind.

Keep up the good work! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks pangolin. I tried your pen advice tonight but for some reason I wasn't really feeling like doing gestures. Then a pack of idiots came around banging on my door, so I picked up my pencil to try to calm myself down a bit and somehow I end up producing one of the best heads from imagination I've done since I've moved here. Typical.

Name:  gestures sept 22.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  sketch sept 22.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by keeptime; September 22nd, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6