Considering the 22 HD Cintiq...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Considering the 22 HD Cintiq...

I've been tablet user since 03' but I'm considering a Cintiq. I'm just looking for some reassurance that the 2k price tag will pay off for me. Has anyone else went from a tablet to a cintiq and loved it? How about the reverse. Has anyone went to a Cintiq just to find it not worthwhile and went back to a tablet? I had a cintiq 12wx that was way too small for me but that's the only experience I've had with a direct on screen tablet. Any pro's can con's will be of great help.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the ones who will benefit mostly from Cintiqs are the ones who do a lot precise line work, advanced perspective drawing and such. There's no arguing that the Cintiq will make it easier to draw the lines you want.

When I think of artists who benefit greatly from a Cintiq, I think people like Callum Alexander Watt and Hidetaka Tenjin: extremely detailed and precise, or retains a very linear quality in their art. Compare these two to the likes (for example) Jaime Jones and Craig Mullins, who probably wouldn't benefit much from a Cintiq when taking their very loose painterly styles into account.

Then you got such as things as the fact that the Cintiq DOES get hot (although the 24HD is better; can't say how the two new models are yet though), and using a keyboard can be unwieldy sometimes (I've never used the buttons on a tablet, the keyboard has always been more intuitive to me) to consider as well.

All in all though, don't plunge on the 22HD just yet. Wait for some good reviews from people who know what they are talking about, and then make your decision. Perhaps the new Viewsonic offerings (they are releasing three digitizer displays measuring 10.1, 22 and 31.5 inches respectively) will prove to be good rivals.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoromC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'd definitely try one before spending the 2k. After the cool factor wears off, the only benefit I've noticed is more efficient linework. So if you're in the animation, or industrial design industry, then it's a "necessity".

It's an alright product for the cost, it just depends whether it fits your needs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelismo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PoromC View Post
    I think the ones who will benefit mostly from Cintiqs are the ones who do a lot precise line work, advanced perspective drawing and such. There's no arguing that the Cintiq will make it easier to draw the lines you want.

When I think of artists who benefit greatly from a Cintiq, I think people like Callum Alexander Watt and Hidetaka Tenjin: extremely detailed and precise, or retains a very linear quality in their art. Compare these two to the likes (for example) Jaime Jones and Craig Mullins, who probably wouldn't benefit much from a Cintiq when taking their very loose painterly styles into account.

Then you got such as things as the fact that the Cintiq DOES get hot (although the 24HD is better; can't say how the two new models are yet though), and using a keyboard can be unwieldy sometimes (I've never used the buttons on a tablet, the keyboard has always been more intuitive to me) to consider as well.

All in all though, don't plunge on the 22HD just yet. Wait for some good reviews from people who know what they are talking about, and then make your decision. Perhaps the new Viewsonic offerings (they are releasing three digitizer displays measuring 10.1, 22 and 31.5 inches respectively) will prove to be good rivals.
    Ditto pretty much everything he said. If you're an artist that likes character driven stuff like Anthony Jones (Robot Pencil), Stanley Lau (Artgerm) or pretty much any comic book type person, than a cintiq 22/24 may be the thing for you. I like my 24hd, but there are times that I miss (while I'm on it) the benefit of just a blank canvas with just the cursor point and no hand in the way. I like the comfort of seeing everything at once with no blockage while I paint. The other bad thing I noticed is the I can get sleepy real quick if draw on it for prolonged periods of time. I have to give my eyes a break more often due to eye fatigue than when I was looking at a screen from a distance. All in all though, there is no denying the speed increase and more intimate feel of hand eye coordination while drawing on it. Based on some of the stuff I've seen you do, you would most definitely benefit from it. Take care man.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1