Evil Offspring WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Evil Offspring WIP

Can I get some critiques on this let me know where I am going wrong and how I can make this painting more interesting.
    Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I wouldnt add the rain till near the end. Focus on the subtle values of the water merging into the background. I would look at maybe embryo of animals etc to get some real cool information in the Egg or whatever form hes holding. I would look at some more references for holding the "offspring" because the arms don't look quite right. The idea is really good though.

Thanks
    Hey Mick,

I like what you have goin on here. To make this better, you'll need to tighten up the rest of the image like you did on the face. The hands especially. Take your time on them.

Also, the water looks totally fudged. Find reference, and overlay some photo if you have to. Of course the trick is to lower the opacity of the photo, so it doesn't look like a photo. The rain also looks fudged. Don't make the drops taper like that or they look like meteorites. Just make them straight lines.

You also need to think about the horizon line. As it is, it looks like he's standing right behind an above-ground pool of water instead of him being IN the water. That is because there is no water behind him..where does the water recede to the horizon line?

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the advice I will apply your suggestions to this image and update (this it will take a few days) but I will keep you updated when I fix these errors on this image

Thanks
    I'm going to try to hit on some of the major things and give you a jumping off point...

1. Composition: The cropping on this piece is bizarre. You have a ton of unused negative space while you're cutting off part of the guy's horns. A canvas that's taller than it is wider would work to your advantage.

2. It really hard to tell what's going on there. Is he holding a ball of energy or something? Maybe post something with some simple lines drawn in so we can see the placement of the arms, etc, so we can be more useful.

3. Ditch the rain. That would be the last thing you add, and there are a bunch of cool tutorials for doing it really, really well. Also, I was wondering about the water like fading into the background (what Artfix mentioned).

Looking forward to an update! This thing looks weird!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,211 Posts
    It's hard to tell what's going on because you didn't think about acting at all. There's an alien guy and he's holding a larva. He's looking at us straight on, fairly blandly for a toothy evil guy. There's no sense that anything is happening, no definite body language. You might as well stick a frilly hat on him and put him in a window display.

What was this guy doing immediately before and after the pic? What's that light? What's he going to do with the larva? Is he protective of it or is he stealing it? Is he offering it up for us to eat? Your stuff all tends to be fairly formal and stiff, I think you'd benefit from studying action and acting and expression.

This is a good go at lighting, though. You're doing a lot better in that department.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.