Character portrait.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character portrait.

hey guys!

heres a portrait I've been working on for about 1-2 hours now. It's still in the rough stages...right now, this is where I'm figuring out the colors I'm using, and define the background.

im...i dont know. you know when you have a painting and you like it well enough but at the same time theres something about it that you know looks off or hasn't been pushed far enough? I don't know. Theres something off about the colors of this piece to me but I can't place it. I feel like i can push it to make it really dramatic and aesthetically pleasing but I don't know how. Instead of fighting with it until I give up I figured I'd throw it at the art community and see if I could get some feedback that I could then learn from before i move onto the rendering process. I would really appreciate any and all help -- critiques, overpainting, suggestions, tips.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is his face angled to the side or fully towards us? I can't really tell as overall his face seems to be straight from the front but his nose is angled. Also overall I'd just get proper refs for the hands (seriously to have the pinky finger bend like that always feels so unnatural, I can't bend the farthest pinky joint alone without really concentrating on it), and think about whether you really want the dude's head to be so huge or his shoulders that low (he just ends up looking like his has a giraffe neck) and actually draw more of his arms and body before you crop the image, his hand doesn't seem to relate too well to the position of his shoulder/upper arm, nor can I see any real sense of distance between his chest and the hand, as it's hard for me to get a clear sense of where exactly is his hand position.

Also the orange and blue light doesn't seem to be affecting things consistently (the orange light is strong enough to reach his face but not the other side of his chest? the blue light lights the side of his face but not his hair? Actually if the light is coming from behind his hair then his hair would probably have the halo effect too.) and are those hands what? Ghost hands, angel hands, woman/man/child hands? I'm guessing the hands belong to two separate beings but who knows.

Overall I can't say much about the colours, except that I personally would make the orange bit stronger and concentrate it on the part that you want to showcase.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.