How to get this effect?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to get this effect?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to achieve this effect in photoshop and to learn more about it, but I don't even know where to begin searching for this particular style.

http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/specials/029ps3.shtml

I'm talking about the brush-like strokes on the trees and bushes. I noticed at the end of some animes there is a final image that kind of have this effect, but I don't know what it's called, so I don't know what to search for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Uhh... maybe they're just brushstrokes?
    Are you asking me if they are called brushstrokes? I don't know what the art style is hence why I'm asking what direction to begin my search. I tried searching for "brush stroke effect in animes" and didn't quite get anywhere. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk_nite View Post
    Are you asking me if they are called brushstrokes?
    Sometimes, a brushstroke is just a brushstroke (Sigmund Freud)
    When I see an effect that walks like a brushstroke and swims like a brushstroke and quacks like a brushstroke, I call that effect a brushstroke (James Whitcomb Riley)
    You see, a brushstroke is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And a brushstroke operates exactly the same way: you send brushes here, they receive strokes there. The only difference is that there is no cat (Albert Einstein)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque@xs4all.nl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Making a search of your posts. You make too many "what style, effect, etc is this?"
    Style is created not learned, effects mean nothing if you don't know the foundations behind it. Just draw man, there aren't any magic shortcuts or styles people take on that make them good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Making a search of your posts. You make too many "what style, effect, etc is this?"
    Style is created not learned, effects mean nothing if you don't know the foundations behind it. Just draw man, there aren't any magic shortcuts or styles people take on that make them good.
    I'm not really looking for a shortcut. I am aware that I asked "what style is this" 3 times, however, I was merely looking to see if there were any documentation on those art styles. I don't particularly like asking for help on this forum, I only ask when I don't know where to begin or what terms to use in my searches. When I see a style that I like, I try to copy it before expanding on it but I would like to read any documentation (if they exist) to see if rules apply. I hope I make sense. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't a style as such. What you have is 'stylised' trees. It looks like they might have masked off the bushy leaves and used either motion-blur on textured brush marks or just faded-off a textured brush or maybe one with a dual brush option. Stuff like this you learn as you play with Photoshop yourself. Try things... serendipity can be your friend.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some people can't see the forest for the trees...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Some people can't see the forest for the trees...
    Thanks for all your help .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    This isn't a style as such. What you have is 'stylised' trees. It looks like they might have masked off the bushy leaves and used either motion-blur on textured brush marks or just faded-off a textured brush or maybe one with a dual brush option. Stuff like this you learn as you play with Photoshop yourself. Try things... serendipity can be your friend.
    Thank you. I was playing around with photoshop earlier and I did manage to get some simliar effects. Your posts confirmed I was somewhat in the right direction. I was doing some research and found out about a painting technique called "Scumbling" which I thought might have been used in some form here.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk_nite View Post
    Thank you. I was playing around with photoshop earlier and I did manage to get some simliar effects. Your posts confirmed I was somewhat in the right direction. I was doing some research and found out about a painting technique called "Scumbling" which I thought might have been used in some form here.
    No its not scumbling; scumbling would be taking real paint and applying it to a real painting using a drybrush technique, that would be scumbling.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1