Art: Art Newb needs guidance
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Newb needs guidance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Newb needs guidance

Hello, I'v been browsing these forums for a while and was really impressed with how helpful the members here are, and so I would like to request help\guidance.

I'm 24 years old from Israel and have recently discovered a passion for drawing. more specifically I'm drawn to concept art and it's beauty.

My problem is I'v basically never tried to draw seriously before in my life, and so around 2 months ago I'v started looking up free guides on Youtube and anywhere I can find for drawing.
    I'm also enjoying various online comics and so I'v started copying down favourite pages.
    I also read and practiced some from "Burne Hograth - Dynamic Figure Drawing" in addition to figure drawing guides online.
    finally, I'v started to attend a basic drawing course once a week.

What I would like to know is:
    -Where do I go from here? do I just continue to copy from other artist's work? at what point do I start drawing creatively?

-Do I need to look for guides\courses on digital software such as Photoshop or do I first work on my basics, and when will I know it's time?

-Is there a 4th dimension that i'm missing here entirely? my ultimate goal is to be able to do Concept art, any tools\guides\courses that i'm overlooking?

I'm very lost right now in a sea of information, please help!

Edit: If it helps, here are some of my works(sorry about the quality.. I don't have a scanner):

This was done using Pastel colored pencils.

Stuff I copied from Comics.

This one done by myself.

Last edited by -Absolute-; July 12th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basicaly The best advice I could give you is to try to find your own way to do things. Starting from copying others artist style might be usefull at first but in the end you will skip all the steps between accurate knowledge and stylisation ( is that a word in english ? ).
    Taking classes is definitly a very good idea. Keeping notebooks with real everydays life drawings is also something I could never push you enough to do.

There are no really defined road that will lead you to the place you want to go. Work hard everyday. Be sure to know what you draw. for the rest, I think that whatever works is good enough ...

The important point is to reach a very good basic drawing. You can add all the brushes or photoshop effects in the world, if your basics are not good, it will just not work.

But, that's my POV, not the golden rule of course.

Share your work, you will have more personnal reviews.

Keep up the good work !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ryuloulou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh you're doing this question right on time cause i've wrote a piece today on my blog on what are the best things to do to start to learn drawing. Give it a look and if you have questions just ask. Oh obviously my version is the truth, it's one truth, probably the best you can find for professional drawing but your objective could be different.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuloulou View Post
    Basicaly The best advice I could give you is to try to find your own way to do things. Starting from copying others artist style might be usefull at first but in the end you will skip all the steps between accurate knowledge and stylisation ( is that a word in english ? ).
    Taking classes is definitly a very good idea. Keeping notebooks with real everydays life drawings is also something I could never push you enough to do.

There are no really defined road that will lead you to the place you want to go. Work hard everyday. Be sure to know what you draw. for the rest, I think that whatever works is good enough ...

The important point is to reach a very good basic drawing. You can add all the brushes or photoshop effects in the world, if your basics are not good, it will just not work.

But, that's my POV, not the golden rule of course.

Share your work, you will have more personnal reviews.

Keep up the good work !
    Thanks alot for the help! I'm trying to draw alot everyday, but it's hard when I'm not sure what to focus on.
    There's so many guides online and I want to use them to improve my basics, but the problem is each of them differs in style.
    By keeping notebooks with me you mean so I can draw wherever I go? not sure I got that right.

I will add some of my works to the OP, thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Oh you're doing this question right on time cause i've wrote a piece today on my blog on what are the best things to do to start to learn drawing. Give it a look and if you have questions just ask. Oh obviously my version is the truth, it's one truth, probably the best you can find for professional drawing but your objective could be different.
    Thank you that's very helpful. I will start learning basics perspectives like you suggested with real life objects.
    but I do have a silly question though, when do I know it's time to move on?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by -Absolute- View Post
    By keeping notebooks with me you mean so I can draw wherever I go? not sure I got that right.
    absolutly. Life drawing, is, from my POV the really place to start. To help you learn to draw what you see, and find your own way to answer to the eternal question " how do I draw that ? ".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry, when you start to figure out the learning process about the things i've wrote you'll know exactly how much is going to take for you to grasp it. It will be tough but should be amazing enough to keep you interested. If you want a precious advice, don't copy stuff you that you don't know why they are like that, for example mangas or comics which they are highly stylized, until yo don't figure out why they are so different from the real things. Obviously you can draw whatever you want for fun from time to time to see if you understand better the technique but if you got caught too early in stylization you can harm your ability to draw things correctly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I will start practicing that right away!
    I'v uploaded some of my works to the OP if you have anything to say about those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bump.
    I would appreciate feedback on my uploaded goods.
    keeping in mind that i'm currently working hard on real life drawing starting from simple objects, proportions, perspectives, light direction&shade, anatomy and all that good stuff.

However I was wondering first, if there's anything else and second, how good are they compare to a beginner?(this one is especially important to me to ask professionals because you know how it is with friends and family.. you can never get a real opinion)

Last edited by -Absolute-; July 17th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok i'll be sincere, your drawings are EXTREMELY BAD.

This doesn't mean that you're worthless, it just mean that when you was doing those drawings you didn't understand. Getting better with drawing it's all a matter of understanding (forms, geometry, anatomy, light, perspective, rendering, proportions, etc), the more you understand those things and the more you're able to apply that to your works then the more your works will become good and appealing. Obviously to know if you're doing good you must ask to someone that does understand more than you, in general if you ask to someone that doesn't have familiarity with this kind of knowledges he will tell you that your work is ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks that's what I wanted to hear, just means I have to work harder

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see I'm not the only one from Israel here xD

You may benefit from taking on some personal projects such as making a comics or storyboard illustrations to guide your effort towards some communicative goal and also ensure your work have some kind of context that people can relate to , its also a great way to figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of composition.
    You may fail at first but it may drive you to gain more insight to solve the problems you encounter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good advice, but I think at this point since I'v just barely lifted a pencil in my life(for drawing ) I'm just not feeling confident enough to do stuff like that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.