TeenChallenge: Wurm WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TeenChallenge: Wurm WIP

Can a user show their WIP from a Community Activity Challenge here in this section?
    I could really use the help/direction.
    This is only my post from the Teen Challenge #171 thread

It may be too long to read, but at the end is my last WIP which I'll just post here.

This was the challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post

Teen Challenge 171: Wurm

Topic
    This week's topic is Wurm. A wurm is a giant creature reminiscent of a worm or a snake. They are enormous and very, very dangerous.
    Wurms come in different sizes, shapes and colours.
    Magic: The Gathering has a great collection of different wurms that you can use for inspiration.
    Other examples of Wurmlike creatures are the Midgard Serpent and the Sandworms from Dune.

Focus
    This weeks focus is composition. What's a wurm if it looks like a worm?

Deadline
    The deadline is Sunday 15th of July, 23:59 GMT

Finals thread can be found here.

I could copy and paste all my concept ideas from my post in the TC thread, but it's all here<- same link from above

Also a huge thanks in advance to anyone who helps. This is probably asking much. I'll take any input, I just wasn't getting much from the original thread.

My main questions are:
    -Did i go to outlandish with the "sky-wurm" or does it still fit the challenge
    -How do you guys work large scale, because I really want to get my composition right but the image above is like 25% zoom and things get a bit laggy
    -I'm trying to do white pink fleshy thin skin on white clouds... is this just a bad idea or worth it if i can pull it off? I was thinking an orange sunset sky maybe or making the clouds darker and greyer. The creature with pink venules and capillaries all over.
    -Anyone have any examples or expierience painting white fleshy creatures like this. like Daryl from Hellboy.
    Basically I'm finding it hard to do translucent skin that pink near edges and... idk how to describe hopefully the image shows it.

Also if it's not okay to do this with a Community Activity challenge then I'm really sorry.
    I'm just looking for any input at all, just please read a little of the post..

I'm working on this at the moment in the original .PSD which doesn't have the sunlight and birds, i did that at the end for posting and because it was easier when i made the image smaller.

Also Here are some head ideas. not even sure if thats the position i want to gow ith, but this was good for design... whadyou think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shahan; July 11th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may have taken a step backward here...
    messing around with things I don't understand.. lighting and color..
    still a rough WIP and dont really have a decided light source...
    does my Background on the bottom make sense?
    any input would help

i gotta make the clouds like orangish or brown green.. all light shades.
    maybe a sunset sky..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think of time of day and weather. do you want to make it look like a stormy day? I'd make a tiny thumbnail of this on a separate document or piece of paper, and just play around with various lighting situations. Also, my first magic the gathering deck was all wurms and I won so many games because they're so versatile. Awesome memories.

I'm new here. My young-adult sci fi webcomic, Firework, may be found here. It's not very good. Thanks in advance for helping me become a better artist.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powerful.pineapple For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I will answer a few things that I have time for:

Yes, it's okay to ask for help here for a challenge.

No, its not too outlandish. In fact, making something original is so difficult these days that you pretty much have no choice.

I used to have some laggy issues with large files too. I replaced my 2GB of DDR3 ram with 4GB of DDR3 ram and that solved it. So the answer is more ram.

I think the second image panned out is a step backward too. The composition is way too boring and static and divided in half. The first composition I think is nice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys for the input. finally goin to sleep. heres my latest stuff on this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Welp... there's my entry. Would appreciate any crit for improving in the future.

You can find this in the Teen Challenge section of the forum as well... the whole shibang

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.