Monoprice Tablet vs Intuos 5

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Monoprice Tablet vs Intuos 5

Recently, my Bamboo Fun died so I've been looking into getting an upgrade. Currently my first choice is an Intuos 5 (medium probably), but I've been hearing about the Monoprice tablets and now I have trouble deciding between the two.
    I've done some research and what I've gathered is that Monoprice tablets work very similar to the Intuos. However I have a few main issues:
    1. there are reported lag issues in Photoshop (important to me because of laptop does not have the greatest performance)
    2. the pen requires the use of a battery
    3. the pen lacks an eraser nib and buttons are easily pressed (I prefer the nib to the eraser shortcut)
    4. it feels cheaper (my main concern is I don't know how long it will last for, and I trust Wacom's sturdiness)

If anyone's got any helpful information, that would much appreciated.

EDIT: However, after reading reviews on the Intuos 5 I'm shifty. I could really utilize the touch features, but that seems to be a no no. I'm looking for a tablet that won't lag a lot with my laptop that has "okay" performance. Do you guys think I'd benefit more from an Intuos 4?

Last edited by BeenaMistry; July 10th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Recently sold my intuos 4 medium because of the horrid "shoelace" bug that was making me ragequit manga studio/photoshop left and right.

I have to say, if I would have known about monoprice before I bought my Intuos 4 new, I wouldn't have purchased the Intuos.

1024 levels of pen pressure, plenty.
    The hotkeys aren't that easy to press on the pen by accident, unless you have huge hands I guess.

The pen battery doesn't concern me, it's lasted longer than the one in my keyboard thus far, so...there's that.

"feels cheap" sure but since it's sitting on a desk it just feels like any other tablet.

I don't find it to be lacking in performance at all in any program aside from Illustrator, the pressure doesn't work correctly, I've tried to remedy that so many times but gave up, trying different combinations of wacom drivers installed next to the monoprice ones. But in manga studio/sketchbook pro/photoshop, it works like a dream.

the pressure curve, to me, feels a million times more natural without any tweaking than my intuos 4 felt after hours of fidgeting. feathered strokes are a breeze instead of this nervous dance like they were with the intuos, and even more so since the 4 is plagued by that terrible bug.

for ~50 bucks, you can't go wrong. I'd suggest giving one a go, if you hate it, you can just return it and go to the nearest store and pick up an intuos.

good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
    Recently sold my intuos 4 medium because of the horrid "shoelace" bug that was making me ragequit manga studio/photoshop left and right.

I have to say, if I would have known about monoprice before I bought my Intuos 4 new, I wouldn't have purchased the Intuos.

1024 levels of pen pressure, plenty.
    The hotkeys aren't that easy to press on the pen by accident, unless you have huge hands I guess.

The pen battery doesn't concern me, it's lasted longer than the one in my keyboard thus far, so...there's that.

"feels cheap" sure but since it's sitting on a desk it just feels like any other tablet.

I don't find it to be lacking in performance at all in any program aside from Illustrator, the pressure doesn't work correctly, I've tried to remedy that so many times but gave up, trying different combinations of wacom drivers installed next to the monoprice ones. But in manga studio/sketchbook pro/photoshop, it works like a dream.

the pressure curve, to me, feels a million times more natural without any tweaking than my intuos 4 felt after hours of fidgeting. feathered strokes are a breeze instead of this nervous dance like they were with the intuos, and even more so since the 4 is plagued by that terrible bug.

for ~50 bucks, you can't go wrong. I'd suggest giving one a go, if you hate it, you can just return it and go to the nearest store and pick up an intuos.

good luck!
    How does painting with opacity feel? I read in one post that it's not so smooth and the author doesn't recommend the Monoprice for digital painting

Thanks
    I have a monoprice. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this tablet and save tons of money and just like wiggins said you can return the tablet if your not satisfied. I have had it for 6- 8 months now and have no issues with lagging or opacity. Its awesome for the price. There is also a huion tablet for a decent price that boasts 2048 levels of pressure. I have not tried that one but plan to. http://www.huion-tablet.com/product/...t.php?sku=1004 I do love my monoprice though.

Thanks
    It's nice to finally see some competition in the field of drawing tablets.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    It's nice to finally see some competition in the field of drawing tablets.
    A+ on that!!!
    knocking on wood, I haven't had any trouble with gesstures at all on my intuos 5 med units. Works as advertised. It is by far the most intuitive tablet I've worked on with touch.

altho I am on a mac so I am not praying for windows 8 like a lot of the world.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Sorry to chime back in so late.
    I don't notice a huge difference with the opacity, but I keep mine really really low and build up slowly. When there's a large "range" of opacity to cover I would imagine the monoprice would perform like an older Intuos before they upgraded the pressure levels.

I felt like my Intuos 4 was just so damned jumpy, there was never really a nice smooth transition of pressure even with heavy tweaking. I'm a stickler about my lineart, and the monoprice does wonderfully.

It's worth trying since it's so cheap.

Thanks
    I was thinking about getting this model: http://www.amazon.com/12x9-Inches-Gr...xp_grid_pt_0_2

But sadly, amazon says they cant deliver it to my country (Spain)
    I looked in amazon uk and es but i didnt found that tablet there.

Maybe someone knows a way to get this tablet in europe?
    Cheers.

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Montana View Post
    I was thinking about getting this model: http://www.amazon.com/12x9-Inches-Gr...xp_grid_pt_0_2

But sadly, amazon says they cant deliver it to my country (Spain)
    I looked in amazon uk and es but i didnt found that tablet there.

Maybe someone knows a way to get this tablet in europe?
    Cheers.
    There is currently no stock, but I believe you can get it from the official site

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to glasswithwater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sonico648 View Post
    There is currently no stock, but I believe you can get it from the official site

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    thank you!

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    I just bought a Monoprice tablet: 4000 LPI, 200 RPS, 2048 Levels. It is my first tablet. I've been trying to buy a used large Intuos 3 online for about 2 years for apprx $60 without success. I just came across this tablet, it had fairly good reviews so I got it. Heck, after shipping it only cost $55. That's about 1/6-1/8 of the cost of a new Intuos. Unless your a Wacom stockholder or something, you'd be crazy not to give it a try.
    It only recognizes pen touch so if you want to use your figures I guess your out of luck there. The pen with the battery just feels like a decent quality ink pen, it's nothing noticeable. I haven't experienced any lag. No problems installing the drivers, and I am not a tech guy at all. I don't think it recognizes tilt of the pen either so that might be an issue for some. No eraser nib but it has a handy Hot key on the side for the eraser that works great. Also replacement nibs are 10 for $1.
    Now I've never used Wacom, but if none of that scares you then try it out, what do you have to lose?

Members who have read this thread: 29