Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Flying Ink

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremerton,WA
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 109 Times in 96 Posts

    Flying Ink

    So I'm going to New York City this Friday. I'm real excited to go and be able to draw in a whole new place. To be safe about flying with my art stuff I called the TSA. Gouache, Pastels, colored pencils, charcoal etc were all ok'd (except fixative). Even my dip pens as long as I kept the nibs in a separate container on the flight. The only issue was with my ink. I use speedball calligraphy ink.
    I'm curious is anyone knows if it is toxic or flammable or dangerous in any way, shape, or form. Also, should I wrap it in plastic wrapi n case it explodes?
    Sorry if this is dumb, I'm just really confused.
    EDIT: Ok, I found the MSDS sheet (http://www.speedballart.com/cms_wfc/uploads/60.pdf) and it looks okay. Should I bring the sheet with me if I carry it on? or enclose it with the ink in checked luggage?
    Last edited by Zephyrion; July 10th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Yes, you should carry MSDS sheets for all art supplies, just in case.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Flammable? Explosive? I guess it's good to take precautions...

    The first thing I'd worry about is if the altitude could mess up the consistency of the ink. No idea, just the first thing I'd think of instead of any explosive properties. That's just me.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremerton,WA
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 109 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Yes, you should carry MSDS sheets for all art supplies, just in case.
    Wait, are you being sarcastic? I kind of have a hard time telling with you

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    That didn't sound sarcastic to me. Looks like a good thing to have.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremerton,WA
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 109 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    That didn't sound sarcastic to me. Looks like a good thing to have.
    ah ok. I presume I should at least have it for paint tubes and ink and pastels. Maybe not pencils and charcoal?

    also what could be the effects on the inks like you mentioned? And they shouldn't explode in the cabin, right?

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    I didn't mention anything. I was just saying what I'd think about before something like explosions. The altitude thing is just something I made up off the top of my head.

    What I mean to say is explosions are a pretty extreme thing to ponder over, and I'm pretty sure if there was a risk for something like that, it'd be printed very clearly on the materials themselves.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    No sarcasm. Pencils etc should be fine, but it can't hurt to have a MSDS for anything liquid, or that looks out of the ordinary. Make sure the bottle is tightly closed, and put it in a sealed ziplock bag. It's highly unlikely that anything would happen to it, but do you really want to take any chance of a bottle of ink leaking all over everything in your luggage?

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ypsilanti,MI,USA
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 444 Times in 226 Posts

    Unhappy

    Yeah, unprotected ink in transit was the ruin of my copy of the 1977 Hildebrandt Brothers Tolkien calendar.
    "Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I know with this kind of higgins ink, the lid does not seal if you throw out the thin styrophoam thing. I had to learn the hard way.
    Flying Ink

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremerton,WA
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 109 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hinman View Post
    Yeah, unprotected ink in transit was the ruin of my copy of the 1977 Hildebrandt Brothers Tolkien calendar.
    how did you not go insane?! I would cry my heart out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I know with this kind of higgins ink, the lid does not seal if you throw out the thin styrophoam thing. I had to learn the hard way.
    Flying Ink
    yikes. Thankfully, mine doesn't need a Styrofoam ring to seal, but that's bad luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I didn't mention anything. I was just saying what I'd think about before something like explosions. The altitude thing is just something I made up off the top of my head.

    What I mean to say is explosions are a pretty extreme thing to ponder over, and I'm pretty sure if there was a risk for something like that, it'd be printed very clearly on the materials themselves.
    Yeah, true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    No sarcasm. Pencils etc should be fine, but it can't hurt to have a MSDS for anything liquid, or that looks out of the ordinary. Make sure the bottle is tightly closed, and put it in a sealed ziplock bag. It's highly unlikely that anything would happen to it, but do you really want to take any chance of a bottle of ink leaking all over everything in your luggage?
    Its bagged and sealed firmly with the MSDS sheet enclosed in the bag. My watercolors are the same, but in my check in.

    Thank you for all the advice!

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
    I'm a little concerned that I could carry on a lighter and several 3 fluid oz containers of hairspray, but you need the MSDS for nontoxic, nonflammable ink.

    Yeah, that seems balanced.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremerton,WA
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 109 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    I'm a little concerned that I could carry on a lighter and several 3 fluid oz containers of hairspray, but you need the MSDS for nontoxic, nonflammable ink.

    Yeah, that seems balanced.
    Yeah, it is. But I'm glad to say I didn't lose anything. Someone in baggage had sticky fingers for my dads camera gear though. They did ask me what my dip pens were. Guess they see lighters and such more often than art things.

Similar Threads

  1. Flying WIP
    By hypocalvin in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
  2. Art: flying 2/5
    By xirus in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 9th, 2004, 12:58 PM
  3. Flying Man WIP
    By NoodleBoy017 in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 24th, 2004, 05:06 PM
  4. Art: 1st flying
    By weltol in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: March 4th, 2004, 09:42 PM
  5. Art: flying bot...please take a look!
    By I.was.ink in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 31st, 2002, 08:14 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.