Spartan Camp #230 - 50 gestures + Optional "Long study: Knee"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 662 Posts

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 15th of July.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Long study: Knee", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background
    This is the second and final part of the knee anatomy optional studies (check back to the last thread if you want). You don't have to have participated in the last one, feel free to join in!

The exercise
    Goal is to do a longer study of the outer view of knee. Reference advised. Don't be confused by the "Long" in 'long study'. No need to spend ages, but this study is focused on the knee only so you can spend time on just that. Last week some of us predicted knee inner anatomy and function, you can use this week to put this knowledge to use and do a study of the outer view.
    The knee has very distinct protuberances and bulges that indicate musculature, bone and tendon underneath the skin. Remember that these are very mechanical and functional parts. Someone once said "The knee is not a bag of marbles". May have been Marshall Vandruff but I cannot find the quotation.

Reference

For examples of longer studies:
    [Some knee drawings]
    [Knees for artists]
    [Knee by van Gogh]
    [adding more]
    You can use photography as reference, or your own knee + mirror. Will post some photography if I come across them.

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #229

Animare
    SmallPoly
    AdrianNagorski
    Little-Maiden
    snacks ex machina

Last edited by Anthis; July 11th, 2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Fixed the date, thanks kayness

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for this community activity, but...12th July surely isn't a Sunday?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    V. rough 46 for tonight. I drew some of the top lefts from imagination, the rest from http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

I will be trying to catch up on my knee anatomy since I didn't do the 'under the skin' types and then some tonal knee studies for later this week.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by J8stine; July 11th, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J8stine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    J8stine, those are great! And thanks for the cool link! I only used posemaniacs in the past, but that tool on pixelovely.com is maybe even better. I'll be joining in on this spartan class! So is the deadline the 12th or sunday 15/07?

Studytime! Crunching down on Loomis and Figure Drawing
    My creative blog
    Figure Studies & Life drawing yay!

Thanks
    what a freaken hellish month, seems like i gotta try twice as hard to get
    back where i once was. . . .

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not really getting what the deal is with knees lately, but I suppose it's about time I do some studies. I mean, come to think of it, it's pretty much a neglected body part for me anyway.

I drew this yesterday with the new Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens which I just bought that day. They are some amazing pens!

combination of pitt artist pens and staedtler triplus fineliner pens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    J8stine great link. I used it for what I've done so far.
    I used the tool where the timer starts at 30seconds, then after a while increases. Most of these are under a minute, some poses got up to 5 minutes.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kayness; Just a 2-week special with knee anatomy followed by an in-depth study. We'll have a different topic next week .

Gestures and comments incoming!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These will be my final images for the week. I tried to do some knees ... Mostly pencil, Will Smith is in pen. I am aware that top left Will Smith is missing a chin... I found the side profile quite challenging.

Hamorhage and Animare Glad you enjoyed the link, I find it really useful for loosening up.

AdrianNagorski Keep it up! I especially like the bottom-right face of your faces.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J8stine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Everybodys work is great! I really like animare's drawings, they are so clean and concise, I can definitely learn a lot just by looking at them!

I did a couple of sketches aswell with that tool, did the 30 minute session: I'll get the rest done tomorrow.

The quality is quite bad because for some reason colored pencil doesn't scan very well, so I need to push the levels to the point where you loose all detail. Then again these are just sketches anyway

My creative blog

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anthis - you know, I borrowed some anatomy for artists book from the local library and went to the knee section, and they said that the knees are a neglected part of the anatomy! You know, I felt the same about knees, too. Like, they're just boring and bleh. I guess maybe that's why long knee studies are in order!

Animare, J8stine & Hamorhage
    : great job so far!

here I am studying from that book:

some images i found on google images

from glenn fabry's book

Last edited by kayness; July 15th, 2012 at 02:25 AM.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow Kayness! Talk about in depth studies! I'm inspired to hit the knee section too! Especially to have a look where the muscles connect to the bone.

EDIT: SO I did my studies today aswell It was actually really informative to study the knee. I think I'll understand drawing that part a little better now
    All my gestures were 1 minute, the references for the knee are from Bridgeman Constructive Anatomy and Hogarth's dynamic Anatomy

Last edited by Hamorhage; July 15th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    My creative blog

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Warm-up gestures using posemaniacs.

Digital, since I'm without a scanner once again....

Next up is the knee! As well as some critique.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, those are great Anthis! Can't believe they are from posemaniacs, they look so natural. Guess you have a lot of experience drawing from life that you can do that! How long did you spend per drawing?

My creative blog

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    am I too late to join in? I've been doing a lot of gesture drawing lately. I could perhaps join in the next round, but here are the drawings I've made this weekend. No knee though.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hamorhage - great gestures and those knee studies are impressive! Are they Hogarth? If so, you're rekindling my faith in Hogarth once again

Anthis
    - if you didn't tell me they're from Posemanics I would never have guessed - you captured the natural lines and rhythm of the bodies so well.

Obstfelder
    - great studies!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    J8stine; The anatomical study wasn´t specifically required, just useful. Also, images in your last post are not appearing! (edit: they are now!) Nice to have mixed imagination and reference! There´s quite some variation in your gestures as well. Some seem more focused then others, or perhaps you used a different method. For example in #26 the legs are really strong. You can clearly see how her left leg bends, and the right one supports the body. The foreshortening is very effective despite the the minimal lines. Very accurate. #43 has this as well. Note how slight differences can make a huge differences. Be conscious with those lines!

AdrianNagorski; I´ve seen those fencers before, are you using any specific reference source perhaps? Bottom left pose has fantastic legs with- ironically- great knees. Watch them! your second pose, and the ballet dancer on the far left in the middle have very weak knees. Despite this, the gesture is good in most of these. The sense of weight is strong in those fencers and the football player.

kayness; Yep, that's exactly why I wanted to do a knee 'special'. I may do this more often and I'll be sure to announce it properly, hehe. You did a great job on these, very thorough. Especially on those muscle masses. Note however that the patella/knee cap sits slightly above the actual joint. Here's a video demonstrating knee function, check from 30sec onward. Of course, its a 3d model and anatomy is subject to variation... You can actually feel your own knee, the round knee cap with the patellar tendon below feeling a bit like a triangle pointing down, attaching to the tibia. It's puzzling how a knee works. I think your studies are fantastic, I just thought this piece of anatomy seemed somewhat left blank.

Animare; There are several gesture drawing sites like that, do you need more links like those?
    You're doing a nice job on these - I've also noticed some of the 'Reilly method' in there, haha. You seem to be having trouble with the correct head placement. When you're doing your gestures and using a line to indicate the spine (as you've done in many of yours), try to continue through the neck into the base of the head. Don't skip that part! Great work on those lower legs and the transition into the feet in #13, 14, 15 - pretty strong!

Hamorhage; Always good to see a bit of Bridgman, especially combined with different 'schools'. I personally like Hampton and Loomis too, have yet to look into Hogarth thoroughly. Excellent studies. Your first gestures are a bit 'hard', with strong and straight lines. It seems that the later ones (#13 onward) are getting more and more dynamic. Perhaps because you're getting more accurate in using straight lines opposed to curved (like in #32, her right leg has both a well placed straight and curved line). I'm just thinking out loud though... is it a conscious method?

Obstfelder; Na, not too late. Though I am trying to get this thing running 'on schedule', but that will also depend on more punctual posting from me. You do have some strong knees in there - especially the woman lying down. Great exercise, do you just pick 3 base colours? I like the different methods in your gesture drawing. I'm trying to stay away from too much contour drawing myself, but I've heard they are useful. I like the gestures with 'squiggly' lines most, as opposed to the straight lines. They seem most effective in terms of gesture. But perhaps the latter serve a different purpose?

edit; added the rest

Last edited by Anthis; July 17th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    omigosh! I totally didn't know that the kneecap is there. That anatomy book gave me the impression that the kneecap sits right on the joints.

and thank you!

some non-knee anatomy studies & some cartoon expressions:

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thankyou for the valuable feedback Anthis =) I think I will do more practice on digital gesture studies, since I think it's not being used to my tablet pen that is causing quite so much variation in my quality of line.

I'm not sure if it's just your internet, but I can see the one attachment in my second post so I thought it had uploaded ok - can anyone else see it? It has traditional studies in it.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to J8stine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kayness; It's something that suddenly struck me. I love your new ones - I hope you noticed the new topic is already up as well though!

j8stine; No problem, I can see everything now. My internet was acting up yesterday, so the problem may have been on my side. I'd agree with you on the lines, I personally feel digital is much less natural. I still need to warm to it.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow this is great! I love your crit Anthis, and I think it's really beneficial. Even reading the crits on the other people posting was very useful with specific references to certain drawn poses. I consider myself too inexperienced to crit people, but I think from next week on I will share my thoughts as well, it will force me to look more critically to other people's work and learn both from my mistakes and others. I think I found a new home

PS: I actually did some studies of drawings of Stephen Silver before I did my 1 minute poses, it's because of that that I was experimenting a bit more with shapes and the use of curves and lines where I could.

My creative blog

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Obstfelder; Na, not too late. Though I am trying to get this thing running 'on schedule', but that will also depend on more punctual posting from me. You do have some strong knees in there - especially the woman lying down. Great exercise, do you just pick 3 base colours? I like the different methods in your gesture drawing. I'm trying to stay away from too much contour drawing myself, but I've heard they are useful. I like the gestures with 'squiggly' lines most, as opposed to the straight lines. They seem most effective in terms of gesture. But perhaps the latter serve a different purpose?
    Not really a different purpose to the straight lines, but I've been trying out different approaches, and the straight lines is something I've rarely done and felt I could try to practice.

It works better for drawing hard objects I guess, but I like the idea of drawing the human figure like you would sketch a mechanical thing.

About the colors, I've been making myself a bunch of swatches for skin color that I use for the gestures so that I can work as fast as possible. It's inacurate though, so I tend to tweak them if I can manage.

Thanks for the feedback!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    J8stine;
    Animare; There are several gesture drawing sites like that, do you need more links like those?
    You're doing a nice job on these - I've also noticed some of the 'Reilly method' in there, haha. You seem to be having trouble with the correct head placement. When you're doing your gestures and using a line to indicate the spine (as you've done in many of yours), try to continue through the neck into the base of the head. Don't skip that part! Great work on those lower legs and the transition into the feet in #13, 14, 15 - pretty strong!
    Thanks for the feedback Anthis, I will try that.
    If you have links to more gesture drawing sites that would be awesome They're so helpful!

Thanks
    Animare - These are the gesture drawing websites that I often use (plus the pixelovely one). Some of them use the same stock photography though, so you may see the same image every once in a while.

http://www.quickposes.com/
    http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.