Sketchbook: Forgot I loved art.... now I'm back! Help me grow :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Forgot I loved art.... now I'm back! Help me grow :)

I loved art when I was younger but lost my passion due to the influx of negative people saying, "You'll never make anything of your art" and "get a real job" etc etc. Maybe they were somewhat right, but I now understand it was missing the point of life... to ENJOY it!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and feedback you have. I have little interest in making a living from my art, I just wish to have fun, share my creativity and enjoy the ride

Here's a couple to start with. I've gotten back into art for about the last year so I'm yet to find a style I like so I'm just having a go at everything. Critiques greatly welcomed

Attached Images Attached Images        
    "I do not believe making money in order to consume goods is mankind's sole purpose on this planet. If you're wondering what I believe our purpose on this planet is, I'll give you a hintů it has to do with creating and sharing." - Bill Hicks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more focusing on people. I'll admit I haven't done a lot of studies but just referenced images. I've started to do face/figure studies in a sketchbook I'll post shortly.

"I do not believe making money in order to consume goods is mankind's sole purpose on this planet. If you're wondering what I believe our purpose on this planet is, I'll give you a hintů it has to do with creating and sharing." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple of landscapes. Any hints on techniques to make them 'pop' more would be great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You had me at Carl Sagan.

Great start! The monkey painting is especially good. Though I'm no expert on landscapes, I'd say you should consider values more when you paint them (or anything, really). Without using values to emphasize the right parts of the painting, it confuses what we should be looking at. For example, in the one with the building at night, the building is just barely visible compared to but there's a big bright galaxy shoved into the upper right corner. Maybe that was your idea, but as it is it looks a bit unbalanced.

I hope that helps!

Oh, and screw the naysayers.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks littlebones, greatly appreciate your constructive critism. I totally agree on the values. I'll have to learn to work on values as I can now see most of the pictures I've put up have no depth.

The painting of the Capitol building with the Universe in the background was supposed to be like that, emphasising the importance of life and the Universe over politics, though being a beginner I wasn't sure how to balance it.

I love monkeys, something about them brings me peace lol. They remind me of my little monkey 2 yr old daughter hahaha.

Oh yeah, Carl Sagan was the first person that came to mind when I thought I'd learn to paint people

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portraits are pretty good (maybe here and there some wierd simetry but overall good job). I can't say that for the landscape paintings because many details on them are off. In my opinion they look like unfinished and bit off from overall concept of the picture (like in the last one where, to me, nebula looks like it's not part of the picture). But I think landscape art could be much more better if you took more time on each one. Well, thats from me. Hope it helps.

I always imagined I could be what I wanted to be.

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/dariojart

My Deviantart page: http://dariojart.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have a good understanding of color. I would practice on improving your brush strokes though and making them more uniform and concrete in message if that makes sense. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastico - Thanks for the critique. I now see there are a few symmetry issues (or maybe I picked weird unsymmetrical people to paint lol). The landscapes are just quick sketches for me to get some feedback and learn from (like littlebones mentioning values) though I see your point as they do look quite unrefined.

Mr.Ebony - Thanks! I'm actually colourblind so I try to use lots of colour to brighten my world. I agree with the brush strokes and it does make sense. I see a lot of people's digital pictures look terrific because of the brush stroke technique. I'll work on that but I guess it will come with time, practice and experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.