Sketchbook: Jones's Sketchbook - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Few days since I posted unfortunately. Did not get around to much art. Mostly sketches in my sketchbook.

Been into a Giant theme, I want to do a full illustration type thing. so these are ideas, seeing what I like. So far I'm thinking big, bulky human type guys, with rough/hard skin. Some helmet idea's there to. Also for some reason I thought they would bath/loungein lava tubs, that's what that hut thing is on the mountain.

Also some armor studies I did today, studying how it works. Seem's a lot of armor is like overlaying panels to allow movement.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's work. Did a bit more on the one giant, and started painting another one from a pencil sketch I had previously done, I need to keep on reading that Loomis figure book, I think it has perspective and stuff in there. Had a bit of trouble starting it off in that angled pose. worked on it in 75 res the whole time I noticed after, idk but I don't like working in lower resolution just because I have less options with it after I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First thing I did was turn down the contrast a lot (Image->adjustments->brightness contrast). The original had contrast going on everywhere, you don't want that. You want the most contrast to be at your focal point.

I also tried to get rid of most of the texture brushes. Try to paint with the basic round brush for awhile and learn painting with that. In my opinions texture brushes are all good and fun, but are best used when you have more experience.

On the giant: I tried to create some more interaction with the giant and the figure, in the original image I think the pose of the giant was a little lackluster and it looked like they were just standing there. Er well I guess in mine they're kind of still standing there too but hopefully there's a little more tension visible haha.

Take this all with a grain a salt, I'm by no means a pro, blah blah. Hopefully it helps you in any way possible and I apologize if I deviated from your original concept at all!

Jones's Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skMOP - Thank's for taking time on that post, I haven't had such a thoroughly helpful post like that yet in here. When it comes down to many factors, I'm still a complete newbie, I barely know what contrast is - so I tested what you said, and It seems to be the difference between the values (?) lowering it sort of made the lights and darks closer in tone.

Again thank's a ton for you comment, I think I may be able to make my focal points catch the eye more now.

-----

Head's tall figure studies book, Hand studies, clown sketch, some rabits with mcdonalds - still want to finish it lol.
    two last ones are covers, They told me what they wanted, while I livestreamed them. first is for my friend Niko's song (almost 2 hours), and the second is for my buddy Tommies mixtape cover (nearly 5 hours). We were on a tight schedule so when i had issues with the head and legs/shoes from behind I just traced those parts quick (from a ref he took) - I know that's not a way to learn, but had time constraints. Hopefully that figure drawing book will have perspective from behind as well, need to clearly learn that.

Last edited by Jonesoda; August 17th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothin to say aside from a lot of live streaming lately, helps me keep motivated it seems. Finished rabbits and started a samurai type guy, don't dig the spacey warrior thing going on though. so will probably change that.

Last edited by Jonesoda; August 18th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Livestream paintings from today and a study -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very slow day - was quite tired from the past two days, was to ambitious I think. I enjoyed painting for 7 hours yesterday but I think it was too much. Gotta slowly get into a good pace and increase the time. Just felt my creative energy wasn't there today.

Hand drawings from reference, then a few hours later hands from memory. Also a lame sketch I did tonight, tried to do it a bit differently.

Last edited by Jonesoda; August 20th, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new portraits, applying hat I've been learning.

Attachment 1598369Attachment 1598370Attachment 1598371Attachment 1598372

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1