Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY!

Last edited by Pete Hidalgo; February 13th, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    One full figure study for the end of the night.
    About 10-15 min- there is a lot of work to be done and will have to wait untill the morning.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I was at work today but as soon as I got home at 5 and I have spent the last 4.5 hours doing as much as I can. I really need my own space with no distractions to focus, study, and nurture my creativity.

Here are some loomis drawings of the figure from memory to test what I could recall from what I did yesterday.

Some 60 second gestures which I was attempting to keep a long line and not nit pick to much as well as create the form and shapes.

The brown bag I spent about 30 min on purposely timing my self to see how much information I could see in with a dead line.

The Hand signs I wanted to do since I started work but I did not have the chance to reference the Alphabet in sign language. They were done pre reference and hand studies to gauge how close I could come. Lol Epic FAIL. Well tomorrow I shall Work on Values and tones cause after that Bag exercise I really need to focus on form and the effects of light and shadow.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by, and the words of encouragement! You have some great stuff. Nice idea drawing the signing hands, Learn the language while you draw!

Thanks
    nice start, keep up the energy!

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    thanks for stopping by! Since your'e just starting out to draw seriously theres very little critical advice I can give on what has been put down so far. The most important is to keep drawing every day and never give up. You'll inevitably have ups and downs but if you can keep it to about 2 hours a day you'll improve loads!

Remember that drawing is more about thinking than just moving your hands. The more you can internalise what you're doing, the faster you will progress. So even if it means you take a long time to do a simple study; you'll get more out of it the more you keep analyzing what you're doing (before, during & after) when drawing. Keep it up!

also in regards to what you asked in my SB:
    my studies were done digitally, just using a 15% Gray and a 85% White. Its a good way to study silhouette and negative/positive shadow/light spaces.

Thanks
    keevy39- Thanks man the idea was very frustrating though ha ha. Especially because I didn't use reference (Well REAL anatomy reference) before HAND!!! ha ha. Ahh Im so not a comedian.

element1988 Thanks dude- I will indeed. I know I need to just stick with it no matter what. And I will for sure.

Little-Maiden Ha ha! I had a good feeling they were digi's but again Cant always be sure. And I will make sure to keep posting so there will be plenty of stuff to show. I am trying to focus back on many fundamentals so I can build a better foundation.

So here are the things from today. Very light in the art area mostly my fault but work doesnt help. (Not an excuse) Just a reason for me to remember to draw every second I am free.

First are some loomis heads which are HORRIBLE!!!! ha ha ha

Second is a sad excuse attempt at a sphere. (PS Any good shape/form/shadow links to reference would be awesome)

Third is a pic which is lacking any understanding of light and form. Gotta move away from drawing what i think I see and actually draw what I see.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook :>
    I really like the variety of stuff you're doing here, keep it up! :>
    (sorry that I don't have any suggestions or anything, that's something I'm very bad at haha)

Thanks
    Read up on some Value and light information trying to hone in on my understanding of values. Though creating a solid 10 shade value scale is pretty difficult. Attempt after attempt I could only hit a range of about 5-7, although I feel I really only managed to make a solid 3-4. Honestly I can not wait for the weekend to hit the park and Draw. I need some life in my drawings ha ha.

Any who. From top to bottom:

1: Horrible attempt at a Value Scale

2: A few form studies of light and shadows. (I actually learned a bit from what I read which prompted me to do this.) The lighter side should always be lighter than the darker side (Common sense I know ha ha) and the dark side should always be darker. Given that even reflective light on the dark side (Of an object) should not be lighter than the mid tones on the lighter side.

3&4: just the good hand studies from reference. I did some imagination and stopped to use my own hand.

Any advise on bettering my understanding of light, shadow, shape, and form would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Keep it up man! My value studies are also weak, lemme know if you discover anything useful!

MY SKETCHBOOK OF CRAPTASTIC CIRCLES
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Hi mate, thanks for your comment
    10 values is a lot for pencil, it's probably not worth worrying about too much. 3 or 5 are way easier to keep track of. E.g. with 5 you can just say 3 is the midtone leaving you with 2 shadow and 2 light tones for modeling.

Take a look at this; I rendered a few spheres in blender for comparison. Look at how the reflected light works. The first one is a matte sphere as you've been drawing. The core shadow is pretty subtle. Also look at the dark area above the cast shadow - almost no reflected light comes from the cast shadow, so we have a dark area before the reflected light begins.

Now check out the second ball, this is all exactly the same, except the ball is more reflective, and the ground has a texture making it easier to see what's really going on.

Again you've got the dark area above the cast shadow, and you can see what it is... it's the reflection of the cast shadow, almost no reflected light gets in here (reflection of a shadow is a bit of an oxymoron, but whatever ).

Also check out how the horizon line is visible on the reflective sphere (the ground plane is actually a square which is why this is a bit bendy). This is basically all the reflected light the sphere is receiving. I think the reflected light moves up into the top hemisphere because of diffusion, but I'm not really sure how that works. At any rate, in the last one you can see where the reflected light is strongest, and how it gets almost everywhere.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvetch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man I am not drawing as much as I would like to be. Need to broaden my studies or pick something and focus on it. Not much worth showing tonight it was a lot of chicken scratch and failed attempts with my tablet and photoshop. So I figured might as well stick to pencil and paper until I am comfortable enough to carry over.

1: Doodles from work. Was playing around with placing the head in different posistions. (NOT TO SELF: PRACTICE MORE FACES AND HEADS)

2-5: Figure studies timed from 3-20 min. I was not concerned tonight with just pumping out tons of gestures. I wanted to take some time and study what I was looking at and focus on understanding WHY I was drawing the lines I made. I might have babied my lines a bit but It will be something I work on in the near future (TOMORROW)

On a side note I think my XP bar just gained .000000005 points Ha ha ha ha.

Thanks
    Its always great seeing you do studies. If I were to throw my 2 cents in, I would suggest to pay more attention to the model than the actual drawing. It helps me anyway.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.