Sketchbook: Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, great updates again. Those arm bones are a bit on the short side though
    I'd strongly suggest that you get really, really confident with a simplified mannequin construction before going too in-depth with your anatomy studies. I recently found to my cost that I haven't absorbed 99% of the anatomy I've studied, because I had no scaffolding to hang information on. I was drawing, and getting better at drawing, but I wasn't internalising the shapes, masses, planes, etc. because I didn't have that underlying framework to hold everything together.
    If that makes sense
    It's a bit difficult to articulate. I don't mean framework as in an anatomically correct skeleton. I mean framework as in a simplified conception of the volume of the body in perspective.
    Anyway, keep at it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvetch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're on the right track. However, BludHund gave you some very solid advice but I donīt see enough drawings of basic geo shapes yet.

Show us (from all angles and in different combinations): cubes, cylinders, cones, and flat circles. Don't draw these from imagination but find / build the real models. Use dinner plates for the circles (and the elipses they make in perspective), cardboard boxes as cubes, empty toilet rolls as cylinders etc.

The one thing I don't agree with BludHund on is his remark about concentrating on the bones. Sure they are important, but try to start with even simpeler masses. Don't focus on the details of the bones too much in the beginning. Read "Figure drawing: design and invention" by Michael Hampton if you want to get the best book on figure drawing. It blows the competition away in my opinion, even better than Bridgeman and Loomis. Edit: just saw you've already read that. Nice!

Also: do you draw from life models from time to time? This can really help your progress. It's harder than drawing from a photograph for some people, but don't underestimate the value of being able to walk around a model and thus really understanding the form. If you are already drawing people from life: ignore this last comment.

Post #85 has some cool studies. I hope this helps, keep it up!

Ps: the plane studies from post 61 look like an awesome way to learn and detect them. I think I'll try some myself.

Last edited by Kapri; August 6th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kapri: thanks man this is really helpfull advice. To answer I am reading through michael hampton chapter by chapter pausing to focus on that chapters important topics. At the moment I am strictly trying to stick to using c and s curves for gestures (started applying last night)

I did a still life of my digi cam yesterday and have been feeling that I need to do more shapes. Hence my flow chart thats has shapes as one targets for the month. This week will be dedicated to that specifically. As for drawing from life, I do from time to time. I really need to do more. Last month I used a ton of photos and not much life so I think I will focus on that to this month. Thank you for that sound advice man. Really hits home because its been stuff I felt I have been lacking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kind words on my SB, and glad I could nudge you in the direction of imaginative works a bit.
    But you've inspired me to do more life studies! lol

Nice head studies man, that tracing is something I'll definitely try! I need it.
    Keep up the studies dude, they're so useful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work dude, that's how you do it! Keep pushing this stuff out man, you'll be rocking it in no time. AND, keep working at that colour, it's getting better, but there's still room to improve. Nevertheless, you know what you gotta do, keep going man!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the comments.

Here are some things I have been messing with the last few days. I have a bunch of stuff in my sketchbook but I am waiting to fill up the pages.
    First some studies. and then some Photoshop.

Attached Images Attached Images            

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, well, i see that you're studying a bit of everything ( drawing, painting, anatomy, values, colors, characters, enviros, etc ) but i suggest you to be more specific in your studies in order to improve faster ! for now you should draw a lot from life and study anatomy, and that's all, until you can draw the main body shapes from any angle, then, you'll see that learning values will be easy when you'll be able to draw well and see in volumes, so you're gonna improve even faster, etc ! that was my 2 cents, keep it up dude, and thanks for stoping by my sketchbook !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kikindaface I know what you mean. I feel like I don't have the right direction I have been to jumpy and haven't focused on just one thing. Although I am making a conscious effort to do more life studies. Another big issue is pushing things to a finished state.

I know of these flaws and yet I still fall into them. I need to take more time to do these studies also. And find interest in even the most mundane subject matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook is coming along nicely.
    I have the same problem you mentioned with the sticking with something till finish. If you are able to try your hand at painting traditionally, acrylic or oils, because it takes longer to get a painting to the same point as it is digitally, I find I dont get as bored of an image as quickly and it sort of teaches me patients.
    Just my thoughts, dont have to listen to them
    Keep up the studies regardless!

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pete,

Looking good, but I've got a few suggestions for ya if you'll take em.

In that fifth image (the side-by-side comparison of the woman) the head doesn't really feel like a form in space, feels a little flat. If you're having trouble, remember to draw through the form and build from there. Also, take another look at the area right above the bellybutton. At the moment the overlapping you have going on shows a twist in the torso, but if you look reaaaaal careful you can see that the lower part (the hip section) is overlapping the upper part (the rib section) on both sides, not just the right side.

I'd show you what I mean, but I am just...awful with a stylus and nobody wants to see that. Keep it up bud!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pete! Great to see all the hard work you got it here. You've got lots of energy and drive! Please have fun in doing those works and try not to overwork or force yourself lol. You're doing great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaik Yeah I totally want to Paint. I need a better setup and money for the materials. My set up not is probably really bad. Dinky ass desk with barely any arm room to move..But I manage.

Tim Murphy: Dude you are totally right!!!! Arrrrrgh! I realize that after you said something and after reading through Design and invention I feel even worse about that ha ha. Le'Sigh! Badk to the drawing board! Thanks for the tips.

LongJh Thanks man!

Ok Here is the stuff I have been messing with The last few days.
    The Hampton studies I really need to try and apply moar! A face which needs some serious work. A few Still Lifes which I need more of also (NOTE PRACTICE SHAPES!) an imagination drawing. Nothing special and HANDS in PEN!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for welcoming me here. Bring on the studies you say? Shit, after browsing your sketchbook you better believe I'll be bringing'em! Seriously, you've got an inspiring sketchbook here. Skimming through here has been highly motivating. Clearly you've been hard at work with the studies. I can definitely see progress. You must be drawing with your whole arm now and not just your wrist cause your lines look a whole lot more confident; nice clean strokes.

I like those last pieces you did with ink. Lets see some more of that. At your rate, you'll be great in no time. I'm going camping for the weekend, but when I get back I'll update my sketchbook. I gotta get my sketchbook to look like yours, haha! In the meantime, keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jonathan L. Thanks man! But no praise here dude. I am far from someone you should look at to aspire your book to be man. As for drawing with my whole arm, I still find I am using my wrist but I am becoming more aware of when it happens which is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We don't need to be the must skilled artists here to inspire others. Your perseverance and dedication is inspiring itself, and contagious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work here, those latest hand studies look very, very good! and thanks for the suggestion to have a look at Michael Hamptons books. just keep at it

Last edited by Steeliebob; August 10th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great hand studies! looking like a big improvement. keep going im sure you will get better fast! try loomis for simplified body construction, hes always worked the best for me, very easy to understand.

Remember to draw the nose when drawing faces, With ur value studies seperate the values into different boxes. The value thing is really important keep at it. Do loads of gesture studies and then combine those studies with what u learn from loomis etc to do it from your head. great stuff keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent studies so far Hampton is a very good source of reference and vanderpoel if you haven't seen bridgman stuff or peck check out those books also I recommend imaginative realism and color and light by james gurney.
    Also continue with anatomy and also practice more with values and experiment with different brushes from photoshop and increase your visual libary as well good fortune

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. You have some nice hand drawings but it looks like your faces could use more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies here! Don't have anything to crit now, because it seems to me that you are doing the right things here.
    Just keep pushing out those studies! Oh and also thanks again for the idea of drawing the planes on the photo, hehe. Keep it ups!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man , great sketchbook !
    I see you've already pointed out your own mistakes. That's a really, REALLY good thing (:
    Keep doing dem studies, you're definitely getting better any second you're drawing :p
    And ..thank you very much for your feedback in my sb !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love the last update man ; great studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies keep getting better and better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those hands are killer. Keep at it!

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice studies, good anatomy going on. in regards to your perspective still lifes, if you keep in mind a level horizon line it will be easier. try placing two objects (i use an eraser and a die i have lying around) and aim all of your lines towards them as vanishing points, it really helps considering most of the time the VP's are off the page

Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook too, as always

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the comments. I will try and get back to you guys this week.

Here is the sad excuse for work I did this weekend. I got caught up finishing season 4 of Breaking bad. Now that that is done This week I think I will focus on some faces. Expressions especially. Even if I do not have the construction of a head accurately yet expressions can still be placed on basic circles in preparation for the head.

On a side note I picked up Color and light and Imaginative realism for some read through out the week.

Some randomness, Then a portrait fail, some skulls from Anatomy for the artist, and a banana still (I NEED TO push my values and study more.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some heads from last night. Got some serious construction methods to go over and apply. I understand the basic construction of a face. but still the faces look like crap.

Looks like some application is in order. Need to take time to apply this to life drawings.

on a side note. I notice a repeating pattern in my studies. I am going to have to break this real soon to progress. My pattern of study but no real lif application. Got to get away from photo crutches.

(Edit I forgot this. It was to big to scan)

Last edited by Pete Hidalgo; August 14th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More head studies for today. Got 12 of them. Wasn't trying to rush but I definitely felt more comfortable with front views and profile. I will have to work on lots of other angles.

Any crits would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn Pete you got a great work ethic, you are on your way! I really like these last portraits
    they got great character in them. I suggest maybe goin back into them with a softer graphite like 4b or higher to get some real darks in there and give them more range in value. Or you could just do new portraits too
    keep grindin on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1