Sketchbook: Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY! - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a really rough week. Lots of unforseen events and well Life issues. I was still drawing and still studying. Been reading some loomis as well as some Michael Hampton.

I made some edits to my Photoshop WIP of a cup. Removed the pure black and red and tried to get as close to the color as I could. Spent about 1 hour redoing the color after staring at the freaking thing for 30 min trying to tune my eye to the colors. Also worked on a bunch of spheres and cone studies from photos. Did some Plane practice on images. Trying to study planes on top of head images.

This week I will be all free from other projects and will surely sketch study and draw my ASS off. I have time to be making up ha ha.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pete.
    Cool sketchbook you have here. Good job with keeping up with studies, keep doing them and go further in the Loomis books and try to draw those too. And also do some imagination stuff, sketch some stuff just to change it up from studying . Maybe i'm not the best to give this advice cause i got lot's of studies in my sketchbook too.
    Keep it up and thanks for checking out my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies keep practicing. As I've read from many threads on here. Anatomy is important but you need to reach a certain level where you have knowledge of perspective in the sense you draw while thinking in 3D basically. You draw through the objects. Basically once you have that down then you'll start seeing how things are and break them down to construct it.

Though to do this you need a lot of observation, which life drawings the best route for that so keep those up.

But keep cranking them out mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you are doing good with studying loomis,
    but a little problem is taht loomis isn't really detailed with explaining the face features, try to use other books too, I personally like the explanations of john h. vanderpoel in his book the human figure

visit my Sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for stopping by my sketchbook!

Looks like you're working really hard on the fundamentals; something I need to get back to working on too! I like how you're really getting to observing bones and anatomy and doing gestures and life studies. I think drawing from reality is the best way to learn stuff, especially perspective.

Do more gestures! Especially those one minute gestures where you're forced to sketch down the person real quick before he/she moves away. Gestures are really important in learning to keep lines loose yet precise. Work on pinpointing the landmarks before sketching in the body.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    razvanb08: Thank you: I do try to draw from my imagination but I am always Disappointed with what comes out. Its like graphite vomit everytime I try.

JFierce : I do need to get away from my photo crutches and draw from life. Something I have been meaning to do for a few weeks.

Neyut Yeah Loomis is great but does lack in some additional information on things. I actually picked up that book you recommended. Gonna give it a look see and see if it helps.

cherlye : I will definitely keep up with my gestures. As for fundamentals....I always rushed those in art classes through high school. I just wanted to draw a masterpiece. Now I know, its not about drawing a masterpiece. Its about showing the understanding of the fundamentals.

Thank you all for the feed back. So far since I have started this book I have drawn 27 out of 29 days this month. It is EFFING hard especially on those days you don't feel like drawing but you still push to draw something. Even if it is just a page of lines and circles.

Well here is what I did today. It wasn't much FAIL. But I did get to the nose studies I wanted to do. Some reference and some imagination. A lil Burne Hogarth and mostly Loomis. Also worked on understanding the proportions of the head a little better. Though still need some work it was the first one I did setting up the guides. I think ever. Last thing is a 45 min value study. (Please Grab a Brown bag in case you end up vomiting. lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep drawing dude!!! I see you are improving really fast.
    Thanks for your comments in my sketchbook
    Subscribed to your threat
    yeahhhhhh

learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just remember the basis of painting is drawing!

I'd suggest trying to push a variation of values more. With your recent pencil sketch I see about 3 values. Gradation, sudden light in dark values. also notice when you are painting women's breasts (or drawing) there is light that bounces from the skin below up to the bottom of the breast making a little line of highlight that contrasts between the two values.

Don't be afraid to shade deep, maybe try out some new pencils if you are just using a HB pencil. 4B, 7B, 9B - the softer you go the darker values you will get.

Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hola!

Grinding out those studies i see!! Remember to never give up and never stop drawing!!! Even i come upon times where for a day or two i cant draw, but dont worry, sometimes its hard when you see great artists out there that make it so easy but always remember, they put thousands of hours in foundations to get there that we dont see when they draw. The more you draw the faster you get. I would say try to stick to some areas you want to see yourself improve in and work the hell out of those areas. For me, thats anatomy and perspective. Right now i am obsessed with these two subjects. My lighting and tones are suffereing but im at least getting decent at something. Baby steps are always good Keep up the amazing work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap, three pages already
    Loads of good studies here Tip for still life stuff - keep some distance between you and what you're painting. If it's right in front of you, the tiniest movement of your head will completely change the perspective and mess you up.
    Also get up every few minutes and look at your work from as far away as possible. You'll see differences in shape/colour/value/etc much more easily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! Holy moses you progressed really quickly. You're inspiring me to keep drawing because I need to catch up to you now Keep it up!

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Thx for passing by my sketchbook...you are doing a really nice work as I can see, really want to learn to draw better, as I try too. Well I'm not the best one to give tips since I'm learning too, but one of the best things that have been taught to me (at least for me....xD) is that when you break a draw to it's basics shapes it's really more easy to draw it, specially in perspective, be a body, an environment or a building...if you do first the basic shapes, and then over that draw the final lines you get a better drawing, and later with practice will not need anymore to start with the basic shapes. And another thing that have been said to me, and I agree, is that we don't have to stay "locked" to the rules, like 8 heads body or so...just get the principal references and landmarks and draw.

I hope this tips helps you as are helping me! xD

Sry for the bad english!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates, on the last one it seems off. just spend more time planning out where things will go and how far apart they will be. i know a lot of people, including my self, just wanna jump into it but trust me the planning is a way better route!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates. Drawing the guidelines over photos are a good way to really nut out positioning of features in different perspectives. Keep on practising! Your progress is quite outstanding

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you're totally improving! Keep doing your studies, only thing though, is the mug haha Another crit on that, the new one. I see that you're taking into account some of the stuff I said, only thing is though, you're using a pure grey for the highlight on the outside. Now from what I remember, the mug was porcelain, it's fairly reflective. If you were shining a light on it, even if it's just an ambient light, the highlight is going to veer towards that colour. Say you were shining a desk lamp on it, those lights are typically orange right, the highlight is going to be a fairly strong orange colour. Just keep in mind the surroundings, for what you're drawing, it really helps to define that it's real, and that it's actually in an environment. Anyway, I'll check back again in a bit, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ajtabril Thank you.

liquorbleu I totally agree. I was actually trying to just focus on the 3 values to see if I could atleast get them from the photo. I have a bunch of actual graphite pencils so I will definitely be doing some more value studies to push the values more. Gotta get a better lighting set up cause I dont really have one.

Joe777k7 I love you perspective works man. And I agree. I need to buckle and focus on something that I am lacking in. But that is hard when you know you are lacking in EVERYTHING ha ha. Thanks for stopping by man.

Kvetch You have a good eye man. And read my mind. Right now I am maybe a few feet away from my subject.

keeptime Ha ha. Thanks for your comment man but dont push because of me. Push for you and you alone.

hermanoc I know exactly what you mean. I recently started going through some Vilppu stuff and am working on getting the raw form/gesture and building up from there. Next I am going to apply it to any perspective and object I draw.

kevin_ That was a rushed job. I am learning to take time and actually think about where I put what and why I did. Thanks for your tip.

Jaik Thank you very much!

Psychobuddy: I definitely took your advice man. And will totally look again at the surroundings of the object. I really need to learn more about color, but should really start with grey scale values I think. Any way thanks again for the tip man It really helped.

Again Thank you all for the comments.

Here are the not so horrible things I have been doing the last few days. Most have been figures.

NOTE TO SELF. YOU NEED MORE LIFE DRAWING IN YOUR....LIFE!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Pete, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been having problems loading parts of the site.

Your figures and gestures are coming along nicely. If I may offer some advice, be careful to relate the parts of the figure to each other as well as the negative space between them. That'll really help ground them and make them feel connected.

Value studies, you and me both man. Can be tricky to get out of the three-value mindset. Keep at it though! We'll figure it out, eh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have been going to town man! love it! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim and Keevy Thank you for the comments: Tim I will def keep the relation of objects to their relative counterpart in mind.

Ok so After realizing that I am really into drawing characters or at least figures and a figure really means nothing without an established environment, I have made myself a flow chart for this month. I know there are a lot of things I could have put in here but these for some reason seem to sum up everything important for my goal. If there is something else that could be added that I may have overlooked, by all means speak I want to get better and if my noob-ness has missed anything please SHARE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I like your approach to study. I can also become a bit calculating at times with with planning how to go about developing my drawing skills and scheduling my time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man. I really dont normally think like this. But I have really started to see that I like drawing Characters and I love nature in general so Environments are really a no brainer for me. So I figured If I have a focus then I am more likely to progress in that area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really diggin that bird skull, where did u get it?

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol Google a hawk skull. it should be a top search.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pete -

Re: August flow chart.

Line Control.

I would say:

1. Line Control
    2. Shapes
    3. Proportions
    4. Perspective

On perspective really the main thing at this point is to be really really comfortable with
    foreshortening and gauging foreshortened proportions. More rigorous perspective can
    wait, and even then you want your use of perspective to be as quick and freehand as possible.

I wouldn't worry about light and shade too much yet.

Anatomy is mostly useful at this point to help you get familiar with the figure and come
    to grips with its shapes. Anatomy is one of those details that can be kind of layered on
    top of a design just like clothing or props. Its the shapes and the 'construction' of the
    figure that matter more.

For line control: be aware of your posture. Don't slump. Try to draw from the shoulder
    not from the wrist. Do lots of boring exercises to get the muscle memory down.

The only other thing I would say is just MORE DRAWING. The studies you are doing so far
    are very good, a solid approach, you just need to pick up the pace.

Keep up the good work man, you've got a great attitude!

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BludHund: Thanks man. I will definitely work on more line control. Thanks for the tip. I will be switching up my flow to focus on that sort of stuff for sure.

And I really need to not slump. I find I tend to lean forward and get in close. Every time I do and realize I move back so I have a better view. I am constantly in a Back and forward battle to stay back and see the whole image.

Okay guys here is some stuff from today. Not a lot but tomorrow will be a new day and I will be picking up the pace for SURE!!!

1st up some PS stuffs.

Then random scribbles ha ha.

3rd some anatomy stuff from "Stephen Rogers Peck" Atlas of human anatomy for the artist

4th is a quick sketch of my room mate (Stabbs eyes out!!!)

Last is some 5-8 min sketches of figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for knock knock, you'r improving for sure, just stay with it and time will show you!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Eclip-se. I just hope I am going about it right ha ha. if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing all the right stuff - make sure that you aren't just copying from those books you are studying from though. This means maybe even taking something you just drew and trying to draw it from imagination without reference.

Rock on!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates, you are on the right track so nothing much to say except keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LiquorbleuA Thanks man. And I will definately test myself to see if I analyzed and not copied.

Kevin_ Thanks dude. I left a comment about your recent works in your book man.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.