Sketchbook: Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Never Give up Never Surrender: Learning is KEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a damn good shoe.. I did a shoe a while ago and it went terrible lol so gratz on that

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pete thanks for your comment. I can see that you have been bitten by the drawing bug and that your passion and enthusiasm is running high, which is great. One of the hardest things to do is to keep this going as time goes on. My best advice to help is to always keep it fun, never forget why you wanted to draw and always remember to enjoy yourself. Except that your bad drawings are just part of the process and always look for what you think is good in them, you might be surprised as there is always something. A lot of people don't do this and get despondent which then leads to those negative thoughts that aren't healthy at all. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will achieve all that you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hidalgo View Post
    Damian Levs: Thank you much. I definitely like to switch things up with what I am doing through out the day and I think thats bad. I need to pick something and stick with it. But when easily frustrated I fell the need to break away from it and loosen up my mind by trying something like a still or just line practices and oval practices.
    No no, it's good to keep things fresh by switching things up. The more you draw the better you will get. Keep switching things up, observe and soak as much as you can. You are an artistic sponge soak it all and tak it in. Keep going, you're already improving!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies, keep pushing those out and you will surely see improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArulaSky
    Thank you. I do lots of motions through out the day oddly enough. Most related to dancing. Something i find myself doing when i break from my work ha ha. I am probably going to start studying some dancers as they provide amazing dynamics in body language.

element1988
    Ha That shoe is CRAP!!! lol. I am going to do the other show with it sometime this week (As in Sunday to next sat)

Marian Rowling
    I have had the bite since I was a youngster. Always doodled in school, best friends dad in 5th grade was lead colorist on Beauty and the beast and The rescuers Downunder by disney. One of the girls that lived across the street from me was an artist and her dad was Phenomenal. But alway became discouraged that what I did didnt look like what they did. Let that get the best of me the rest of my life. Attempt after attempt Just became more discouraged. NOT ANYMORE!!! ha ha. Its time I dedicate life to understanding LIFE!

Damien Levs
    What I meant by it being bad was I move on from what frustrates me because it doesnt "Look Right", instead of reviewing it and asking myself why it does not look right and examining it to find understand why and how to correct it. But I definitely make every drawing fun.

kevin_
    Thank you sir. As the title says I will study, practice and draw. And I intend to do exactly that.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Here is just some of the stuff I worked on the last few days. Was busy with a project that I finally was able to finish so now my time is going right back to drawing ha ha.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the comment on my sketchbook. When doing 2-point perspective, try to keep the vanishing points far apart (sometimes even off the page, depending) or else your drawing will have a squished, warped quality to it.

Keep progressing!

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man thanks for stopping by my SB.

In response, I would say that drawing from memory will vary in its usefulness. I think that the whole point of studying to improve is just dual in nature. On the one hand you're training yourself to do things intuitively so that you can (hopefully) one day draw well effortlessly and painlessly. On the other hand, studying is actually memorising and internalising everything you do. So i'm trying to figure out that balance between doing alot of studies, and doing longer extended more elaborate ones. I can say without a doubt that short studies are easy, but spending 8 hours on something is much much harder; Something I've yet to achieve.

Its very hard to offer criticism at this point, you've just begun your SB and the only advice I can offer is to keep drawing and read and study as much as you can afford time to. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden: Yeah quick studies are super easy. I think the longest I have spent on a study has been a little close to an hour or so.

So I've decided to put together an influence map of the things that inspire me to draw. However this list is very minimal as I have so many things that inspire me. This was very hard and I had to narrow it down to these 6 things for this moment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Great sketchbook you've got here. You're on the right path just gotta keep that enthusiasm and passion running high. Those figure drawings you did last post look awesome. I can see improvement already. Keep at it dude. Also, do some more still lives and sketch outside/from life if you can. It will help immensely. And I like that influence map you put together. That's a really really good idea. Now I want to make one of my own. haha XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good sketchbook! and I say so because it shows your effort and interest on learning art stuffs and such. That is quite important, it will make you grow really fast. I can see you are working with construction stuff and what not, which is great. But I believe more observation drawing will make your overall skills grow really fast

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. You are off to a good start so far. I would recommend after a nice study session looking at reference that you do a doodle from imagination to see what you have picked up. Keep drawing!

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In only 2 pages i've already seen progress, impressive. I admire your determination to do the real raw studying. Its something I struggle with constantly.

And to that end, for what its worth, my only comment would be "Be mindful of rigidity."

I can appreciate the thousands of years of artistic evolution, history and the structure of the modern approach to emulating the old "Masters", truly. But we are a uniquely dynamic species who's arguably greatest attributes are our adaptability and non-linear thought. We excel under adversity. Exterior pressure and emotional conflict have generated legendary feats of artistic and scientific progress that would have otherwise gone unexplored. Don't be afraid to forge your own path. If marginal emulation serves your immediate purposes, by all means utilize it. But, for myself, I often fear I will lose that precious, glimmering shard of intuition though the repetitious recreation of long dead artist's processes for the sake of conformal diligence. You do yourself no disservice by bending and/or completely breaking some rules, it is simply experimentation, for which there is no substitute.

I mean no disrespect to our artistic benefactors, as they have paved a long and well traveled road, but I, nevertheless, honor our inherent responsibility to surpass them.

In the end, I suppose it can all be boiled down to your intent. Admittedly, no small task, but simply identifying that goal can clear a path for you all on its own. I do sincerely wish you the best of luck on whichever path you choose.

Sorry for that wild rambling, much of this is advice I try to give myself as well..... but thats what you get for saying something nice in my sketchbook. Thanks for that btw.

"All intelligence wanders; and has no rest." -Orson Scott Card

Blog
    Portfolio
    CA Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I like that influence map idea - I recall seeing it around but it was fun to see yours!
    Your map will grow and grow the more you get into drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Pete, love the determination! It will get you far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good practising any busy as it seems.
    Thanks for dropping by, btw.
    My advise on practising would be: If you want something specific, than go for it.
    Shadows ? Than draw shadows . Also do repeat stuff a few times.

For anatomy, I think it's essential to get the proportions of the body first and afterwards dive into anatomical details. Your body sketches seem promising, but could need a more confident stroke.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, im liking the amount of studies you put in, keep up with the studies(as I need to also) and i know you'll go far

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook!
    Good studies! Do more of them!
    And nice idea with influence map, I have to do one myself!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the comments and visiting my book.

Been a busy weekend with family stuff but always made some drawing time. Here are some things I have been messing with over the weekend. and yesterday.

I am also practicing some digi work but It feels harder since I am not as comfortable with a pencil yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now i want to see some star wars fan art!

nice studies.
    definitely keep doing life studies. lots of them!
    be aware on that one about saturation/contrast. its a little too much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, just keep it up, I'm working through loomis too ^_^ On that last mug though, watch out...and this is in general I guess...but watch out that you are actually putting down the colours you are seeing and not what you think you are seeing...for the outer part of the mug you, picked black for the base tone...which I mean the mug is dark...but it isn't pure black, and for the lights you just stuck to a grey tone...which I mean isn't a bad observation...the lights are fairly desaturated...but they are wamer than just a stark grey especially on the right hand side the, non handle side...there's this really warm orange coming in...I guess just watch out for those kinds of things, same with the inside of the mug...it looks almost like you just picked a red from the swatches, it's like a default red...in the picture, once again it leans more towards beeing desaturated, than what you have down,,,,okay wow I'm rambling ....haha sorry I uhm...yeah I really have trouble with colour...so I consitently have to keep thi sstuff in my mind when I paint...I guess it all just uhm spilled out haha
    Sorry if it's too much or doesn't make any sense...good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. Make sure to watch your ellipses on cups.

I'll crit more next post.

(subscribed)

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my SB man. There's definitely a lot of improvement here which is awesome. And thanks for the advice you gave me, I'll defs try to take that into account

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great @.@ love bones n pose doodles :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hidalgo View Post
    Just wanted to make a quick update. (no images) I will be posting my stuff at the end of this week. Maybe Wednesday and Thursday also. I just have a project in after effects to do that I have been putting off and It really needs to get done for the film festivals it is being sent to. Lol. Any way I am sticking to my goals and nothing will break that.

Yesterdays work. Was pretty busy but was able to finish a 30 min study of my shoe and quick little doodle from a stature I have.
    hey try to make outside lines of Shoes a little dark n thick to make it stand out ~ it will look awesome :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice start

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You started your sketchbook this July and now you have 2 pages?! Damn, great start and thanks for stopping by. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the visit to my sketchbook. And I agree with others, you seem to be making good progress even over a span of a couple pages. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I can give you any useful advice at this point (I'm more the "find the flaws in a picture" type), it seems you already do the studies I would recommend.
    The last bone studies are neat, it seems you put effort into them. Diligence, I'm always amazed at it as I'm lacking at that department.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see improvement!
    The best personal advice I can give is to draw from life, and if that not possible, draw from photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your energy is contagious... makes me wanna draw! I'm also 25, and just started doing art (very beginner). I like the figures you did.. they have such cool poses. lol What do you use for reference, or are they from imagination?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1