Tablet / computer purchasing advice needed!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet / computer purchasing advice needed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet / computer purchasing advice needed!

Alright guys, here's the deal. I've been attempting to paint digitally and animate with a 2009 version bamboo small for three years now. I've been getting in to digital painting more recently and am at the point where I feel like my tablet is what's holding me back the most in my workflow. (some of my stuff)

I'm going to be a senior in high school this fall and know I want to get a degree in art/animation (hopefully Calarts!). I've loved drawing since the 3rd grade and really want to make it my career. I've spent the last month moving furniture for my school district 10 hours a day, and have made it out with about $1300.

I want to use this money to buy an new tablet and build a descent computer that doesn't crash when I get more than 8 layers going in Photoshop. I really want to get a used Cintiq 12, but I don't know where to find the best deal on one, and I'm not sure what kind of computer I should be building for my budget.

Any help would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure a cintiq is going to be out of your price range. Wacom products are tough to find used, and tend to not be all that heavily discounted compared to new ones. You're not likely to find one for less than seven hundred, and a decent workstation is going to be at least eight hundred (more, if you want a laptop and/or need to buy peripherals like mouse and keyboard). I've also encountered a whole lot of people who tried the 12 inch cintiq and found it too small to be very useful.

If you're not comfortable building your own computer, I'd recommend buying a computer in the seven hundred dollar range, investing a hundred or so to upgrade the RAM (normally the biggest bottleneck in Photoshop), and spending the rest on an Intuos.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any kind of computer with a big graphics card. Don't let the mac people tell you that you need a mac (Even tho I am one). Once you're in photoshop, you never know the difference.
    Right now you can get an intuos4 medium for 215.00 at macmall NEW with free shipping. Surely someone around you is upgrading their system and can pass down a computer that you can "trick out". ask around. I was at an ad agency once that had a room dedicated to their old dead computers that they scavenged for parts...

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know Macs, so can only comment from what I do know, and more as general advice.
    You don't need the "latest and greatest" computer to run Photoshop or Painter, so you don't have to spend a fortune to have a good digital art rig. Let the gamers spend the big bucks! That said, gamers update their rigs every year or two, and there are always plenty of used gaming rigs around on the used market, that will be high-end for your needs. Use common sense and a bit of caution, but look at your local Craigslist, and local classified ads papers, they go by a lot of names like "Penny Saver" or "Thrifty Nickle" in my area.
    Memory is cheap these days, and you can get a good computer for $300.00 or so used with an i5 processor, or better. I recommend win7 64 bit, so you can put in plenty of memory, as that is where you don't want to scrimp if you can help it. A large second hard drive for data storage is a big plus too, but not necessary right away.
    You don't really need to put big bucks into a high-end graphics card, my desktop runs any graphics software just fine with a Nvidia GX260, and also runs all but the newest games without a hitch as well. I think you would be better served to put the money you save into a better quality monitor, and a used gaming rig will likely have all the video card you need already installed.
    If you don't know computers that well, take a friend with you who does. You should still have enough left over for a decent Intuos board, and those can be found at a reasonable price used as well. The size really depends on your work style, some like bigger boards some like smaller. The general consensus seems to be not to go smaller than a medium. From my experience with them, I agree with that, as the small boards felt very restricting to me.
    Another avenue is a (Wacom) Pen-abled tablet, which is the closest you are going to get to a Cintiq on a budget. I personally have a Fujitsu Stylistic 5112 I got off of E-bay with the docking station for $300, and added more memory and a bigger hard drive. I can draw in either PS or Painter just fine with it, and use it as my portable drawing station. I could have put more into a better system, and there are certainly better ones out there these days, but for me, I just wanted something to take with me to work or when traveling, that wouldn't break my heart or my bank if it got lost/damaged/stolen. I know of a number of people who only use a tablet, and are satisfied with it, but you have to do what works best for you.
    Finally, you don't have to have everything at once. Being patient has it's rewards, you can take your time to put together your system by taking advantage of opportunities as they arise. Just be aware of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), you can get caught up in updating, upgrading and tinkering to the point it becomes a hobby/job in itself!
    Just my .02

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Faelwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    Any kind of computer with a big graphics card.
    Photoshop doesn't really use the graphics card that heavily. Ram and processor are much more important.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Photoshop doesn't really use the graphics card that heavily. Ram and processor are much more important.
    I use illustrator and my gradations are much better because of it, but you're right.

Oh, If you do want a mac, look around for a pre intel g-5 mac. I would still be using mine if creative suite 5 and the new OS didn't mandate intel. That machine still rocks, it just won't run the latest software.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, Thanks for all the awesome input guys! Looking on craigslist for older gaming machines was an awesome tip! I know my way around a computer, and I feel like I can keep it under $700. I got a 120gb SSD from the amazon daily deal yesterday for $80, and am trying to talk down some pretty nice "Best of 2009" machines to see what the best deal is. It looks like I'll pay around $500 for one of those, and I can upgrade/replace whatever needs it after that.

I know an Intuos seems like the logical next step in tablet choice, but with the new Cintiqs just announced for later this month, it just seems like a really good idea to wait until then and grab a previous gen cintiq on ebay on the cheap.

I really want to be able to draw on the screen, mostly for speeding up animation, and later this month seems like a great chance to do so (I still have a job, and will have another $800 by the end of this month).

How does that sound?
    Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but with the new Cintiqs just announced for later this month, it just seems like a really good idea to wait until then and grab a previous gen cintiq on ebay on the cheap.
    this most likely aint going to happen very soon. the 21" didnt drop in price significantly yet.

not saying you absolutely need one of those, but im very happy with my asus ep121 .

i had friends (professionals) ask me why i took this over a cintiq... and the #1 reason is its portability and decent hardware. i just finished an entire job on it 2 months ago. the files were quite small 1200 px on the long side or something, but i never noticed any lag, even with 80+ layers. everything thats neccessary included in one tool, weighting less than 2kg... winner for me .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    this most likely aint going to happen very soon. the 21" didnt drop in price significantly yet.

not saying you absolutely need one of those, but im very happy with my asus ep121 .

i had friends (professionals) ask me why i took this over a cintiq... and the #1 reason is its portability and decent hardware. i just finished an entire job on it 2 months ago. the files were quite small 1200 px on the long side or something, but i never noticed any lag, even with 80+ layers. everything thats neccessary included in one tool, weighting less than 2kg... winner for me .
    That might work well, but I think I want something with more power, mainly because I will be using it to create animated shorts. I just figure I'd run into some memory issues editing video and such.

Right now I'm waiting for the new tablets to be released to make my decision (I mean, they're not going to get more expensive, right?) and weigh what I could do with the money i'd have it I just got an intros 4.

On sort of a side note, what would you guys think if I got a Cintiq 15x or something like that. Would that still make since for what they're going for on ebay now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there have been quit alot of first generation 21ux go for 800 on ebay. read carefully cause usually these 800 dollar machines may be missing the stand or pen. but you do save money in the long run. a fully equipped first generation 21ux is usually 1000. the first generation 21ux machines have been encroaching on the 12wx. so i would go for the larger model if you can. everything fluctuates so much. best to keep an eye out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kangum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys, You've broken me and I'm going to get and intuos rather than a cintiq.

On a side note, I build my computer (3.4Ghz core i5, 8 gigs of ram for now, Nvidia Gforce GTX 560, ISP monitor) with some good sales for $800.

Now I just can't between between a referb. intuos4 medium (which worries me a little) for $210 or an intuos5 medium for $300?

Resizing and rotating in photoshop would be nice but is it worth $100?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by snowballin View Post
    Now I just can't between between a referb. intuos4 medium (which worries me a little) for $210 or an intuos5 medium for $300?

Resizing and rotating in photoshop would be nice but is it worth $100?

Let me know what you guys think!
    Personally, I love the pinch and grow/rotate. It is so natural after doing it on my phones, and such. I don't even think about it, I just do it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WELP, I just ordered it from amazon. I'm a little sad I wasn't able to get a cintiq but you guys were right. After some soul searching and research I realized windows and my hand would make working on it not worth the extra $500.

Thanks for your help!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.