ChOW#295 :: Fantasy Masquerade - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first CHOW, hope I can actually finish! Here's my initial sketch

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spastic_Potato; July 10th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spastic_Potato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I am drawing dryad like in warcraft universe, with deer body and woman top half, very similar to your creature, spastic potato. I hope that they will get different enough in the end. I'm on to work, good luck all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going the goblin route. I like the "I dont want to be here" idea of him. for now, Im sticking with the traditional masquerade outfit. I think Im going to change it tho, something that would reflect his homeland a little more. Just laid out the basic colors, still working with the idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept 2.
    Party girl fairy attends party for king. Barely let in because designer outfit is revealing, after the King approves, hot chick gets in and starts a party of her own which leads to her getting drunk/passing out/caught in bathroom by orc bouncer/doorman snorting fairy dust etc...lul.
    Lohan fairy
    every party has to have this chick or its just not a party.

haha!! goblin dont wann be there

cool!
    EDIT. less drunk more cool, thanks i was veering
    edit. ok time to start over with some clothes on and no ipod

Last edited by FROZ3N; July 11th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
    FROZ3N
    SKETCHBOOK
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...I-GRATIA/page9

Let go of your emotions
    and draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jager: Ahaa! Your concept's are great on both. Made me outright laugh when I saw the drawf, but liking how the orc's going too.

Hemlock: Hey, mate. It's looking good. Particularly like her hair and face. What fabric's her dress, by the way? I can't quite tell yet. Maybe it'll be a help to gather some fabric refferences just to strengthen your rendering in that area. Something I might need to do meself. ahaha.

Agent Melon:
    I really like that concept too. I'd love it if that 'head' goblin has some real bad make up job on it. It's got some real potential so keep polishing it, mate.

Pitch black: Hey, mate. See you're going for the sexy route, not bad. But don't go missing the concept entirely by making it like she's just come out of a seriously hectic fairy-themed club. It's a tough balance to get, but as long as you keep your mind on the goal I'm sure you'll churn out a great sexy masquerade fairy.

Nila: Like the costume so far, could use a fair bit more contrast though, many of the colours look the same depth of darkness. Maybe a bit more light in there can help clear up your design? Either way, it's a good start.

Potato: Your first one too, eh? I'm kicking myself for not picking a centaur. I love centaurs! It'll be interesting how you tackle it, so carry on the good work.

It's looking good, guys! Bet we'll have an amazing turn out this week.

Things I need to sort out:
    -crossed eyes.
    -Shading in generalll
    - hands are bugging me

Be sure to tell me anything else I'm missing!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ended up getting hijacked by my fiance and couldn't finish last CHOW, but the practice was great. Going way outside my comfort zone with this one, I almost never draw boys or anything to do with animals. So he looks extremely effeminate and the feathers suck, but I've only put in a couple of hours so hopefully I can make it better!

Naidy - Love your color use, great contrast going on

Havok Reed - Something about this guys ears make me really happy, haha. I can just imagine them twitching in annoyance xD

Parsakoira - Your color blending is great and she's gorgeous :3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RaynaCendre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YOu guys got som great ideas. I think they all would make a swinging masquerade.
    Janjager i just love your dwarf. That serious facial expression together with that silly costume just makes me smile.
    Keep going everyone, and remember to challenge yourselves.

Im going for the orc one. I'd just like to combine the orcs brutalness with the grace of a renaissance ball. I think I got to make his bird outfit to look a bit more like an outfit rather than a part of his uniform

Name:  Fantasy Masquerade smallsketch.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  180.7 KB

Progressive sketchbook

Stop wanting and start doing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dryleg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy - Was going for satin/silk I think. Soft and shiny. Might need to get out the bridal magazine... The only things bugging me on yours are the perspective on the feet, it's like they aren't sitting on a flat floor.

Rayna That left leg has an unnatural looking angle. The hips look short and the upper part of the legs a bit too long for the lower part. That might just be because the yellow bands are currently reading as "knee area" to me, though I can see the knees are higher, I'm just not "seeing" them there. If that makes sense. I like your concept though, the feathers are cool, and the mask is coming out well.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hemlock-key For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dryleg that orc concept is fan-freakin-tastic.

Parsakoira, your elf concept is looking lovely.

JanJager I actually really liked your Sunflower dwarf concept. The orc lady is pretty funny too though...and terrifying. Funny and terrifying.

When I saw this, all I could think of was fairies and Alexander McQueen. Posting this to motivate myself to finish.

ChOW#295 :: Fantasy Masquerade

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cumquat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cumquat Really like the color scheme there, it's so icy.

The variety of of entries this time is awesome.

Worked more on the dress and mask, started to detail the wings. I'm using a Golden Emperor Moth as inspiration, right now I've got the colors direct, but I think I'll fantasy it up a bit with some colors that tie more into the dress.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rayna: Ah, thank you! I'm loving the outfit you've designed. The owl look really works. In terms of the whole manly factor, perhaps his interned toes are making him look a bit too effeminate? Other than that, I like his pose but It's real lively compared to his expression. It looks like he's showing off, body wise and the cool smirk feels better matched with a more subdued pose. But maybe that's just me? Either way, I'm liking where it's going.

Dryleg: Nice start! I like the jaggedness of the outfit against the soft cloth sleeves/trousers. It will be interesting to see it finished. No crits, I'm afraid, maybe at a later stage ahaha.

Hemlock: Ahh, silk. I see it now. Your recent update is looking more like silk and less like shiny scales. And cheers for picking up on the feet! I knew something about them was bugging me. I had a go at fixing that up.

Cumquat: Looks like yours is going to be a very graceful fairy. Nice soft colours, her face looks good too looking forward to seeing that one done.

I messed up my elf's eyes and I'm completely alien with digital painting, but I'm getting there. ~~~
    Thinking of making his legs longer too.

Last edited by Naidy; July 10th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy: I like the illustrative style. Reminds me of mucha or however you spell his name. Kick ass autumn leaves. I'd have a little check on the feet though. Referense it with some perspective lines or something. And the whites in the bakground, It's not a big bother but i'd think your character would read better if you'd darken those whites. Or maybe ad some more shading on the pants. Just a matter of taste i guess.

I'm not that good with values and tend to waste a lot of time guessing them.
    I ought to do more speed paints.
    THe next step is to ad colour and render details, and correct some volumetric mistakes on the go
    Name:  Fantasy Masquerade smallsketch2.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  104.5 KB

Progressive sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dryleg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mondo competition this week, and I'm sorry, but I've come up with a little bit of story for this one, feel free to skip it.
    "Humanity.
    We do not possess the brute strength of the Orcs, nor the inherent tenacity of the Dwarves. The Elven gift of eternal life and their curious sorceries are mysteries to us. In all their eyes, we are a feeble species. Inert to the arcane, and cursed by weak limbs. We bleed easily, see poorly, die quickly and react slowly. And yet, we are stronger than all of them. It is the human mind that puts us one step ahead. We are cunning. It is humanity's knack for treachery that will leave us standing atop a mound of skulls; won not on the battle field, but in council.

The Royal masquerade ball. The event happens just once a century, and for one night, there is a universal parlay as the next monarch of the kingdom is chosen. Some would think me a man without honour once they hear what I am about to tell you. Maybe they'd be right. But what honour is there to be had, in the shadow of lesser beings? When the kingdom wars with another, am I to stand idle while human blood is spilt in the name of an Dwarven king or Elven queen? Ha! Not a chance. I don't want a title. I don't need a crown. I want power. We deserve power.

It has long been a rule that the members of the queen's council must be made up of seven of each of the four races. That way, the interests of the entire kingdom are taken into account. Except that the scum we share our land with do not treat us equally. A dam is built; it is a human town that is flooded. More weapons are needed for the war effort, they are forged by human hands. A slave tithe must be paid, always with human lives. We've had enough.

When the opposing faction members of the council cannot make an agreement, and a vote is tied, the monarch has the final word, the decision is his. But on the night of the royal masquerade ball, there is no monarch; a four-way feud cannot be resolved by conventional means. An Orc king once wrote the law of mortal combat: in such a circumstance, the leaders of each faction must fight for the throne. To the death.

I have already stated why I would not emerge victorious in a fair fight against an Orc or an Elf. But who says it will be a fair fight?

This leaves two steps, how do we ensure a four-way feud, and how do we secure the throne? The answers come in the form of a fine young woman. A woman unlike any other. She has been raised with one purpose in mind: She is an assassin. A tool.

What would happen, do you think, if the Orc chieftain was found dead? Murdered with an Elven blade and Elven poison? Do I really need to tell you that the Elf lords would not survive the hour?
    What then? We are left with two races without leadership, and a bunch of drunken Dwarves.

My father studied the lord of the dwarves, his techniques, his weapons, weaknesses, everything. I have been trained, since birth, for this fight. I am the dwarven anathema. When the Orcs and Elves are headless, and at each other’s throats, I will invoke the law of mortal combat, and they will laugh. Until they realise they are without combatants.
    I will strike down the diminutive Dwarf-lord and claim the throne for myself. And, with Her at my side, I will raise us up, and begin the reign of Man."

It needs some work, on the hand and eyes. Those are meant to be slits in the mask, but it looks like her eyes are just closed. I tried to hide the dagger a little to fit in with the story. Dress needs more fiddly bits / ornamentation, and perhaps I will change her expression. The part she is playing is a dim, innocent girl who's drunk too much, but I don't know if it looks right.
    Background incoming too. Still a way to go!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1341960305

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JanJager - thanks! I like your 2nd concept, but both of yours are pretty damm good.

Havok Reed - Love the pose and expression on his face.

Naidy - Thanks, I had planned on making his ear look painted a skin colour, trying to pass them off as elf ears, but the face painting idea sounds better. I like you colour choices and the style you've drawn yours in, try and get some reference for the hands if they are still bugging you.

Parsakoira Awesome as always, She has a big head but I think it might work with the whole petite elf.

hemlock-key Moth wings look pretty cool, like where this is going.

Fleshing out areas a bit more, taking my inspiration for the dress from roses and flowers in general. Been looking at a lot of Masquerade costumes as well and making sure the costume reflects the nature of a high class royal party.

website: www.agentmelon.co.uk [Sketchbook] Available for freelance work : [link]

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Agent Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work from everyone! Hope you don't mind that I share some thoughts.

Pixeltuner: Looking good right off the bat. The mask design is just perfect. What's with the radioactive drinking horn?

JanJager: Haha, Lovley. I like the hipbone on-a stick.

Parsakoira: Lovely. Great palette. Damn man, wish I had your kind of awsome.

CountBlackula: I like his expression, but his pose is a little static maybe?

NilaVanwolf: the movement in the lineart is great, so why did you change it in the colored one?

Havok Reed: I like the bored aristocrat idea. Something odd about the right legg in that pose. You probably ought to get reference.

Pitchblack: I would crop the image so that you can see the design of the wings, and maybe lose the ipod? Seems to contemporary.

hemlock-key: Good costume. The jewelry things on the robe look a little floaty/detached. Add some shadow underneath perhaps?

Naidy: Sweet lineart! The jaw looks a little crooked, maybe make it slope more up towards the ear. Also the grey disc behind his head is a little drab, and could use some color.

Dryleg: I like the concept, but I feel the character needs more of the orc brutality in the pose. Now it's just the tusks telling us what he is.

Barefoot: Nice story. I don't feel that it comes through in your design yet though. She doesn't look like she's been trained that much. She just has a knife behind her back. Maybe you could deck her out more like an assasin? Some cool hidden knifebelt on her underwear or something.

Agent Melon: Great concept. Wish I had thought of that.

I came up with this: The three unlikely companions. Ready to steal the elf queens diamonds at the great masquerade: There's the brainy gnome who's masterminded it all, the pretty dark elf cat burglar who will do the deed, and the brainless meatbag ogre for when the guards show up.

Don't know wich one I'll go for yet, but I'm partial to the ogres Harlequin waiter disguise.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all. Yea both legs were off for sure. It was just quickly sketched in. I cant find a good ref for the life of me though... But I will certainly try to fix the foreshortened one best I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things I liked about the pieces;
    Hemlock..I like the moth wings so far
    Pixel..your always has polish and is super clean lets see more
    Naidy..Im diggin the right hand it looks appealing and the rest looks cool too
    Pasakoira...Natural and beliveable...nice
    Jan Jager...hats off to your imagination
    Agent melon...the trojan horse Idea is super cool
    havok....I like when characters tell a story nice work
    Count Blackula..hell yeah the doorman needs to be there
    Nila Van wolf...initail work looks cool please finish
    Spastic potato...original/sweet
    Rayna...the owl mask is on point
    Dryleg...orc with feathers/cool concept
    Cumquat...my favorite ..i dont know it just looks killer
    Barefoot...Great idea and you captured that drunk goofy grin
    Obs..Your stuff is always good...push yourself anyway

FROZ3N
    SKETCHBOOK
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...I-GRATIA/page9

Let go of your emotions
    and draw

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FROZ3N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  cyclops_masque.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  135.2 KB

they never have cyclops sized drinks at these things...

wipwip!

Please PM me if you'd like an individual crit.

idrawyouonthesubway
    huxleycreative

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prepsage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I figured I'd give this challenge a go!
    You can't have a bunch of fae without the great mythical and magical corgis! haha
    Was looking at my own pup after reading this and remembered how corgis fall into fae lore so I figured why not incorporate a dapper little fae corgi
    he's much older than he looks, but he's just so cute people can't help but want to snuggle him haha
    also working on a mask now, only thing I have down is a Zorro/bandito style mask, gonna play with more italian styles to see how it looks and do some sprucing up to his doublet

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLuvableNerd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah agent. a very funny concept youve come up with. and a fun choice of reference with the roses. Gotta try refs more.
    Obst. Really dig you painting style.

I'd really like to sit down and try to crit all you guys stuff but I'm too tired to commit right now.
    Challenged myself to bring chow from concept to finish in one day. At least i got it within a 10h span, which is an improvement by my standards.

my own thoughts so far. The face is a bit underdeveloped and could use some more personality.
    The costume could have more detail. Some ornament on the chest maybe.

love art

Progressive sketchbook

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dryleg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Hey everyone, This is my second CHOW, pretty fun idea this week and since I don't spend enough time working on my designs I figure I should join in here more! awesome imaginations on everyone and a lot of cool ideas. I went with a goblin and decided to try to make him upper class and snobby. It was pretty fun. I'd like to say "here's what I've got so far" but I got a bit carried away and before I knew it I had him pretty much finished ah well here it is as well as some process stages

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alexanderjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the love. I did a recrop, resize, repaint, detailpass, lighting thing, whatever and gave her a proper glass Almost there ^_^

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hemlock-key - Thank you so much for pointing that out! I did my best to fix it
    Naidy - Super helpful and factored it in to the changes I made tonight, thank you so much! I was going for a sort of cunning smile haha
    PITCHBLACK - the mask is the only part coming out right! haha.
    TheLuvableNerd - SO CUTE! His little toes... d'aww.
    Pixeltuner - As always admiring your work :3

Fixed the stance and shortened legs, shortened neck, changed things a little and started working in detail. Still a lot of work to do but thanks to you guys it's coming along

(Now to work in some more elf-like details so he doesn't look like a pirate!)

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RaynaCendre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool work so far everyone!

some sketchers

Name:  partyelves_thumbs.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  184.7 KB

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fancy mindflayers love big parties. So many brains!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttermonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morning of feet studies and I think perhaps I'm getting there?

Dryleg: Ah thank you! I've had another fiddle with the feet, with a page of foot studies next to me. Think it helped! I think you're right about the pants. I'm going to be adding some more shading to them next. Yours seems to be going well, I like the contrast in the outfit.

Agent Melon: Cheers, mate! I'm liking how your's is going.

Obstfelder: Ah, I didn't notice at all till you said that! It might not be too obvious but I had another mess about. Changed the disc colours too. Hope it's looking better. Nice ideas on your side too. Think the beefcake's my favourite. ;P

Pitchblack: Cheers, mate.

Prepsage: Your one made me laugh. Almost feel he could do with a few more scruffy, or ill-kept items he'd have for these sorts of occaisions. He almost looks like a buisness man as he is. Maybe a vest or jacket? It's looking good though.

Alex: Really quirky one, that. I like it! No crits, I'm afraid.

Pixeltuner: Hey heyy. Sexy and refined. I like it! Lovely details on the frabic too. I think I've been staring at it a while. Good stuff!

Rayna: Ey, Looking better already! The overall pose looks much better now! The legs may want another look at though. I feel the structure might be a bit off. Other than that, it's looking good.

Howie: Ooooh. Your sketches have got me kind of excited. They all look pretty good! Be nice how to see how they pan out, good luck!

Buttermonster: Ahaha, Looks like the starting for a nice fun design. The curvyness of it looks real nice. I like the linework too.

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i thank you all for the feedback and nice words! heres my latest update, resized the head! She is getting drunk

49. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of good stuff happening in here guys!! Particularily liking Parsa's, Pixel's, Prepsage's, and Agent Melon's!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parsakoira: Really coming together! But the head is still a tad too big. I hope you don't mind, but I did a side by side comparison. If someone has a second opinion for this, do share! Maybe im just seeing things, who knows. Its really borderline.

53. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, guys! Some nice work I see here.
    I bit late start for me but here is a sketch of an orkish female. She really don't like the masquarade, but the king and the queen demanded her presence.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1