Sketchbook: No more excuses! - Anne's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No more excuses! - Anne's Sketchbook

Hi everyone!
    After lurking around and following the progress of so many talented people here for over nine years I finally decided that it is time to start my very own sketchbook thread. Aaaaand (as you maybe already guessed) - here it is!

My name is Anne and I live in a small village in Germany (near Cologne and Bonn). Even though I've been drawing for as long as I can remember, my improvement curve seems to have stagnated over the last few years. I know that this may very well be due to the fact that I mastered the art of procrastination instead of actually sitting down to draw or paint (which is funny because I actually love drawing and painting). Even when I somehow manage to start, I'm mostly stuck in my comfort zone which is scribbling portraits. I have sketchbooks full of them...
    Today is the last day of my summer vacation in which I got almost no artistic work done (except for buying piles of art supplies).
    This really frustrates me and I decided that it is time to make a change. From now on I will try to draw for at least half an hour every day. This may not seem too much, but I want to start small and get some regularity into my work. Also, this won't keep me from spending more time if I feel like it.
    I want to keep track of my progress within this thread. Your feedback here is also much appreciated!

As for now, here is some stuff I made in the last few days:

Name:  Hellenthal Aquarell Web3_medium.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  307.2 KB

Name:  sketchbook-1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  145.4 KB

Name:  sketchbook-2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  92.0 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FinalDay; August 20th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adressed one of my (many) weaknesses and made some leg studies.

Name:  sketchbook2012070809.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  134.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some really impressive leg studies. I would love to see some life drawing, Keep up the work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really love that first image! That style of sketching tends to draw me in.

If I could think of one critique for it...I would say that the coloring seems a little too "same" throughout, leaving a sort of flatness throughout an image which in reality would have a lot of depth, being a field and all. I guess the way to I would combat this would be to try and let go of some of the contrast in the shadows and intensity in the colors as you move farther back from the things closest to the viewer. This would let things recede into the atmosphere and loosen the focus on the background. It seems like you tried to do that a little, but perhaps be even more aggressive with it next time.

Hope this helped .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work and the studies are good too ! post more please

keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your comments!

keevy39: I'll see what I can do regarding the life drawing.
    Drex: I totally understand what you mean. The "flatness" also bothered me while I was painting but somehow it didn't occur to me that I could work with Aerial Perspective. After one commenter in another board pointed this out to me, I roughly worked a bit with the color temperature in Photoshop and saw for myself that this would have really added the depth the painting is lacking. You can take a look at this edited version here.

Today I made some scribbles throughout the day. Unfortunately, the paper plane turned out to have two asymmetrical wings...

Name:  sketchbook20120710_2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  140.1 KB

In the evening I spend roughly half an hour doing 90-second studies over at The Drawing Script. Until now I had used this site only sporadically and with much longer timeframes. The 90-second studies are a bit more trickier in my opinion. I will need to develop a structured approach for them because most of the time I don't really know how i should Start and build up the drawing when a new photo appears. This also shows in the varying quality of these drawings. I will keep on doing them regularly.

Name:  sketchbook20120710.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  110.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates during the last few days. Speaking of Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I'm totally guilty of not sticking to my 30-minute drawing goal (I mentioned it in the opening post). It really bugs me so I'm pushing myself to go on and try harder.

These are my daily sketches from Wednesday:
    Name:  2012_07_15_image01.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  61.1 KB

Some scribbles from the last week:
    Name:  2012_07_15_image02.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  101.1 KB

And here are my daily sketches for today:
    Name:  2012_07_15_image03.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  106.9 KB
    Name:  2012_07_15_image04.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  2012_07_15_image05.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  102.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!
    Unfortunately, I had to discontinue my 30-minute-per-day drawing goal for now as I find it much too stressful to stick to it during the weekdays. However, I still try to draw as much as I can when I have the time left.
    At the moment I'm on an off-the-job training where I scribble a lot during the lessons. For a long time I tried to suppress it during such events, but now that I started it again I realize that I am able to concentrate a whole lot better.

So, here are some of the things I have drawn there (completely from imagination).

Attached Images Attached Images                  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand last week's sketchdump:
    Name:  2012_08_18_01.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  438.8 KB

On the last weekend I participated in a fantastic watercolor workshop held by Jenny Dolfen. This is my artdump from these great two days:
    Name:  2012_08_12_workshop_dump_small.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  531.5 KB

Since then I can hardly keep my hands off my watercolors, so I colored these sketches I made when my train's engine broke down on my commute back home from work:
    Name:  2012_08_16_01_small.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  213.4 KB

And finally, I made this painting from a sketch I had lying around for some time now:
    Name:  2012_08_18_Last_Breath_small.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  256.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really get you when u said on the first post that u found u'r self stuck!!
    So what r u doing different since then?

U'r sketches has so much likeness in them!
    and lovely work with watercolors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much!

As for your question: Even though I cannot keep up my "30-minutes-of-drawing-per-day"-schedule for now, I still benefit from the motivational boost it gave me. So I guess the secret simply boils down to this:

Start. And then don't stop.

I notice this in a lot of things: Once you somehow managed to overcome your procrastination, you always wonder what exactly kept you from doing it for so long.

And I hope this will also be the solution to being stuck on a certain subject - like with my affectation for head and portrait drawing. I still enjoy it but I'm also eager to explore new subjects to keep myself from getting bored. In contrast: When I have a low output and always draw the same subject, I don't really care because staying in my comfort zone and producing accordingly satisfying results will suffice me well enough.

So, these are my recent discoverys. I hope they are somehow helpful to you, even though they may not be the ultima ratio.

(And you always should keep this in mind: http://www.marcdalessio.com/wp-conte...provement2.jpg)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe.. definitely need to win those procrastination!
    Loved the graph.
    it's too bad u don't draw a lot (work and stuff?)
    So I guess you r keeping it as a hobby?

oh well - can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, work is eating up a lot of my time, unfortunately. Even worse, I spend about 4.5 hours per day on my commute. I always admire the artists who are able to draw on busses and trains, but for me it's just too shaky and headache-causing. Well, next month I'm going to move to another village which will divide my commute in half. So, more time for drawing! :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook here, I like your graphic style of drawing portraits. Keep going, try drawing more from life and read up on composition- what do you want to tell people with your drawings? Also, push the drawings of people more, all your heads tend to look similar, try out different expressions, different head shapes, different ages, different angles etc.

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @black-swan: Thanks a lot for your comment! I'll definitely keep at the points you mentioned.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.