Art: Mila's portfolio review

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mila's portfolio review

Hi !

My name is Michiel van den Heuvel. I'm 22 and currently involved in a graduating internship as 2D digital artist Game Art in the Netherlands.

I am considering TAD simply because it is a professional and dedicated way of enhancing one's skills. I've come to realise that this is not merely a hobby anymore and I want to see how far I just can take this endeavour. I really hope to develop my skills and be guided by professionals, whilst knowing I'm sharing an amazing oppertunity with other likeminded students.

Thank you for your consideration and your time!

Portfolio: www.m-paints.com
    Blog : www.m-paints.blogspot.com

July 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

June 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

April 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

June 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

September 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

April 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

October 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

October 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

November 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

November 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

January 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

June 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

Last edited by Mila; August 7th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey!

Awesome work so far. In brutal honesty, it still looks like you're learning a lot of the basics, which is completely awesome. You have great color and mood, and while I can't see a lot of specific design work, there's still a potential for something really awesome here.

Your city bar club image has a bit of a two point perspective thing going on, and some of the angles don't look correct. I'm going to suggest you set up an hour everyday and do quick perspective studies until you're confident you can crank out correct looking buildings every time.

I've mentioned this a bunch in some of the other critiques on this forum, but take a look at the skills you're presenting and really ask yourself if the fundamentals need more work. To be fair, Da Vinci was studying anatomy until he couldn't draw anymore, so the process is never-ending. But the trick is to attack the fundamentals in small acheiveable victories. Having trouble with hands? Start with one digit of a finger, work on the next, and the next,and the next. Yes, there is a LOT to learn in this field we're going into, but that's what's so awesome about it

With a good two or three hours of planned content to study everyday, that's 14-21 hours per week of intense focused studying of visual info you have the kung fu grip on.

Master the small pieces, and you're well on your way

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sizzle!

Thank you for checking out my portfolio I'm glad you took the time to write down some advice. You're right about the fundamentals.. I may have neglected them for quite a while.I've tried setting up a study schedule in the past, but eventually I stopped doing it. I think I was aiming too high at that time with too many subjects.

Maybe it's reall time to start again and start small, as you say, with small achievable victories.

Thanks again for your time and advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Michael,

My immediate impression of your samples is that I'd like to see more variety - except for the cocktail picture, they all appear to be landscapes with dark foreground objects lit by background planes that increase in brightness proportionally to their distance from the viewer.

That being said, I think your handling of color in all of them is good. I really like the impressionistic style of the clouds and reeds in the last image of your first post - plus, it seems to have more in the way of a variety of hues than some of the other images.

Do you have more samples that aren't landscapes, like the cocktail picture, or landscapes that incorporate elements which are not so landscapey (for lack of a better term), like the spaceships in the image I noted above? Please share, if so!

By the way, is the design of the buildings in the third image of the OP an intentional reference to Flynn's in the Tron movies? If so, I recognized the reference instantly, though the perspective is kind of wonky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi DP,

There is a lack in variety in my works, as I always thought I wanted to be a environment painter. Sounds familiar right? However I've recently come to the conclusion that I want, and really should broaden my horizon.

There's some character and iconography art I've done for my recent internship but Im not allowed to show any of that as of yet.

I can, however, show you some non-landscape stuff I've done in the past. It's not my best work though...but for the sake of your interest, I'll go ahead and post it anyway

Internship: May 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

Internship: May 2012
    Mila's portfolio review
    Mila's portfolio review

School assignment: character design - December 2011
    Mila's portfolio review

Flyer commission - February 2012
    Mila's portfolio review

Sketches.. ( okay, these are kinda landscape-ish too )
    Mila's portfolio review

The buildings in that 3rd pic weren't an intentional reference to the movie Tron, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean.

Thanks for taking your time to comment on my work!

Members who have read this thread: 1