Brokeback Pose (Crit requested)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Today, I tried to challenge myself and draw a brokeback pose (which, honestly, isn't a brokeback pose since I used a reference of myself to draw it lol)

REFERENCE > http://www.deviantart.com/download/3...ty-d56h5ni.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT > In attachments

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have a sketchbook. Why don't you go look? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...47#post3481447
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should shoot a better reference... The one your using now is not only at an odd angle but also in a difficult perspective.

It also cuts off your legs which would be fine except you chose to draw them in your image.

Last edited by element1988; July 8th, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why?!? What's your point? It can't be to show that the pose is possible, since your "reference" has nothing to do with your drawing.

Last edited by Elwell; July 7th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Why?!?
    So I can become the next Rob Liefield </sarcasm>

Also, it was easier to draw than the other photo that I was considering > http://masterinsanity.deviantart.com...Draw-313196962

I have a sketchbook. Why don't you go look? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...47#post3481447

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But why are you even bothering with the pretense of drawing from a photo when your drawing has no relation to the photo? I honestly don't understand what your objective is here.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Er, what? Gotta agree with Elwell here. I'd recommend working on that anatomy and proportions a lot more before trying this. Your image shows a profound lack of grasp of structure and construction. Consider getting some cheap paper and a pencil to work on some studies to learn to draw what you see rather than what you think you see.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But why are you even bothering with the pretense of drawing from a photo when your drawing has no relation to the photo? I honestly don't understand what your objective is here.
    Because it does...? That's the pose I was standing in and the image is based off the pose as such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Er, what? Gotta agree with Elwell here. I'd recommend working on that anatomy and proportions a lot more before trying this. Your image shows a profound lack of grasp of structure and construction. Consider getting some cheap paper and a pencil to work on some studies to learn to draw what you see rather than what you think you see.
    That's simply this image. It's difficult to draw something as-is if you can barely fathom how the hell you even managed to bend like that :/ I usually use the spine as a guideline; this time that didn't work since the spine was a curly-Q.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusSnow View Post
    That's simply this image. It's difficult to draw something as-is if you can barely fathom how the hell you even managed to bend like that :/ I usually use the spine as a guideline; this time that didn't work since the spine was a curly-Q.
    Ah... Now I get it. The post in art discussion, the link to the second image with the deviant art comments... You don't want a crit on your drawing, you want us to acknowledge you for the pose in your photo?

The human mind... Fascinating.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusSnow View Post
    Because it does...? That's the pose I was standing in and the image is based off the pose as such.
    Sure. Fine. Whatever.

Name:  brokeback-side-by-side.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  76.8 KB

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by element1988 View Post
    Ah... Now I get it. The post in art discussion, the link to the second image with the deviant art comments... You don't want a crit on your drawing, you want us to acknowledge you for the pose in your photo?

The human mind... Fascinating.
    Uh, no. The post in Art Discussion was while I was drawing this picture, this post is now because I'm curious as to why it doesn't look right. I've nailed it down to lack of knowledge on what the spine is doing. General anatomy, you know. I'd still like to know what the spine looks like but that's a question for another forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure. Fine. Whatever.

Name:  brokeback-side-by-side.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  76.8 KB
    I see where I went wrong now. Why does it look so flat, I wonder. Oh well, back to studying. Thanks for the help c:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks flat because you're not thinking in 3D. Photo reference is useful if it comes alongside studying Loomis et al (Bridgeman is also good, as is Michael Hampton) for structure, so you can interpret what you're looking at and begin to build it as a 3-dimensional form. You've taken photo ref of a possible pose and turned it into an impossible one with the same problem a lot of boobs-and-butt poses have - a disconnect between the upper and lower body. The pelvis of the woman you drew is turned significantly farther and at a totally different angle than your ref. The extra tilt to the head also isn't helping the believability.

As well as interpreting your ref, the quality of your photo isn't doing you much good. The fact your legs are cut off, and that you're wearing what looks like loose sweatpants is going to severely limit the information you can get out of it to begin with.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.