How to make the brush Rotate?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to make the brush Rotate?

Can someone tell me if there is a setting that will allow the brush tip to rotate as the direction of the pen rotates - this is called Bearing in Painter - for example if your pen is pointing NorthEast you have one angle and if you pen is point East or SouthEast the pen tip is rotating to match it? I tried in the Brush Settings in Photoshop under Angle Jitter but can't seem to make it work - I'm aware of the setting "Rotation" in Photoshop but I'm pretty sure you need a Wacom ArtPen to do this.

Again Painter has a setting called "Bearing" that will do this but I'm less experienced in Photoshop and don't know what it's called.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Rotation" in shape dynamics.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by toad1971 View Post
    this is called Bearing in Painter
    nononono, bearing doesn't include the rotation info at all, it's the direction of body of stilus away from the tip; painter is capturing it from default grip pen since intuos 2 and mostly using it for spray airbrush/flat/palette knives brushes;
    you have a separate option for rotation starting with painter IX.5 that has been later added into photoshop (with cs4 or something), and that one is using the actual art pen rotation data.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the response...after playing around more in Photoshop I found "Tilt" which is apparently doing the same thing as "Bearing" in Painter and not what I expected something called "Tilt" do. Again I wanted the brush footprint to rotate based on the direction the pen is pointing like when you imagine a compass or a clock and the pen is tilted down a bit (really the direction the end of the pen is pointing)

Rotation is for barrel rotation and that's not what I meant because I was pretty sure I needed a Wacom Art Pen for that.

Since we are on the subject and I have your attention do either of you have a Wacom Art Pen or have an opinion on it in terms of intuitive mark making? I know it's all just personal preference and opinion but still, just wondering. I have a Cintiq 24HD and I heard some things when they first came out about having some issues. Assuming they don't have issues, still wondering about the worth of them toward making painterly marks, intuitive marks etc.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ yes, you will need an art pen for barrel rotation;
    to be fair, it's not as intuitive as you would expect from a wacom product, but I still love it. I had one for intuos 3 and bought an intuos 5 model together with intuos 5.
    it's non-essential, but if you use painter, you will enjoy it quite a lot. really makes flat brushes shine, adds some better controls to palette knives and artists oils too.

iirc, the cintiq issues are fixed by updating the firmware, but you'll have to email wacom for files and directions, they aren't posted on the public support pages.

Last edited by ikken; July 9th, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by toad1971 View Post
    Can someone tell me if there is a setting that will allow the brush tip to rotate as the direction of the pen rotates
    If you just want the brush direction to follow the current vector of your painting stroke, under brush dynamics set angle jitter to direction.

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  50.1 KB

If you want to manually set the direction for each stroke, you can do that with the angle setting in brush tip shape.

Direct control over rotation requires one of the more expensive pens. A quick thought on that - I have the 6D art pen, but I almost never use it. Not sure if I'd like the airbrush one or not.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to make the brush Rotate

we are on the subject and I have your attention do either of you have a Wac om Art Pen or have an opinion on it in terms of intuitive mark making? I know it's all just personal preference and opinion but still, just wondering.we can use brush for every type of painting.and we can rotate brush in every sketch.

Members who have read this thread: 2