Thanks

Well I got an interesting email today.

--"Hi,
    This is Justin over at ConceptArtists.org, a professional networking and small business advertising website that includes a community marketplace, forums, chat, unlimited photo galleries, and online portfolios for each member of the site.

I've been working very hard to create this useful resource, and I'd like to invite you to try it out and let me know what you think. ConceptArtists.org is far more than just a spot to share work and ideas - this site was designed from the ground up to be a powerful tool for marketing your business or brand and expanding your online presence. The vast majority of this functionality is absolutely FREE - we are supported by ads and voluntary Premium Membership subscriptions."--

My initial reaction was WTF is this. After going to the site, that was still my reaction followed by "damn that's terrible" I feel like they are stealing the CA.org acronym.
    Last edited by ZsMann; July 7th, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added the quotes

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I feel like they are stealing the CA.org acronym.
    is that even legal?

btw that email looks like an old wagon with "free candy" painted over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    You should probably put some quotation marks in there, right now it looks like you made the site.

But yeah. At least the site name sounds a bit too similar. Guess it could lead to a legal case potentially. (Not that I'm an expert.) On the other hand, the site seems quite harmless...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    Biters gonna bite. I'm sure it's legal. Just not ethical or smart. Only a bafoon would think this is good marketing.

Thanks
    It looks more like a site for professionals looking for work, rather than a learning tool.
    Considering the relative fame of this site, I feel like the name might be more than just coincidence. But what do I know?

Thanks
    Ok, I couldn't care less about the similarities in the name... This is a common practice in any industry, and concept artists are in fact their target audience, so the name is also descriptive of their niche. If there was an art.org (sadly, there is) and someone made an artists.org (not yet) should everyone on art.org get upset -- no. There just aren’t very many descriptives available. There is going to be some overlap because concept art is a broadly used term. Even though conceptart.org has been around longer the site doesn't by default represent all concept artists (no matter how much we like the site) anymore than art.org represents the interests of all artists.

Now with that said...
    I wouldn't use the site because it is too clunky and ad heavy. It comes across as an amateurish sell out from the get go. If they made their site more professional looking and didn't clobber you over the head with ads it might be ok, but I don't really see that they are offering anything new. What they need is a slick UI that is inviting and showcases ART not ads. People might be a little more forgiving of the address, if it looked more like cg hub.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    It looks more like a site for professionals looking for work, rather than a learning tool.
    Professional is about the last thing it looks. I'm with Shorinji_Knight, it seems amateurish at best, scammy at worst. The URL is just the icing on the cake.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Looks like someone modded a wordpress blog

Thanks
    Interesting network of sites they have too...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to egerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh my, what a totally unique website.

Attachment 1515957

Fun fact: There's also an actual "CA.org" website, short for Cocaine Anonomyous.
    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post: