Halfling character concept WIP

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halfling character concept WIP

This is a concept art I've been working on for a father and daughter halfing (based off the warhammer halflings). Critique away!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, this is a very sweet picture! I think there could be occlusion shadows where the feet meet the floor, where the shadow would be very very dark because no light is reaching it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice - but deeply creepy. I don't know if this was your intention.

First thing I saw:
    A half-dressed hairy man (with broken roman nose from all the fights and love handles, probably from drinking) is smoking a joint while he is kidnapping a mentally retarded street-urchin who is also pregnant.

Right now I'm not sure if you wanted to portrait the characters like trailer park trash or like the clean, brave hobbits from Lord of the Rings...

If you wanted the courageous or adorable look:
    The characters look really dirty and rough, the random brown shading makes it look like they have dirt all over them. The ripped and simple clothes, shirtlessness, the lack of shoes and the dad's old fashioned 70s haircut don't help.
    The symmetrie of the daughters face and her expressionless gaze make her look like she has no brain. Dad should rather enjoy a whimsical hand-crafted pipe and not a small crack pipe - and he could seriously use a bit more shape in his upper body. Right now the harsh shading looks like he has a lot of soft, loose fat that points to heavy alcohol use. (Alcohol not only has a lot of carbs but also messes with the hormones - potbellies for the women and lovehandles, man-boobs and flabby arms for the men)

If you wanted the trashy look:
    Perfect! Maybe give the dad a tattoo and make his belly bigger. Subtle snot and salvia on the girls dress could help. Take Roger Ballen for more inspiration:
    http://www.photoscala.de/grafik/2010..._zwillinge.jpg
    http://www.artthrob.co.za/01july/ima...llen-ct02a.jpg
    http://www.michaelhoppengallery.com/image/460.large.jpg (the way he is holding that cat, ugh)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques so far. These halflings are carnis in a caravan and are supposed to look dirty on account of they travel. I'm headed for a dark fantasy concept with them based on the warhammer halflings. The father is a drug addict and drinks his share. He is also old so he has lovely flabs.
    His daughter looks out of sorts because she witnessed her mother killed by a donkey driven wagon mauling her into the ground and was rather traumatized.

I do appreciate the hillbilly references. They shall come in handy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to hear that the look was indeed intentional - the child's 1000-yard stare is spot on . Ok, best of luck with this painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.