Art: What did you think of your portfolio review?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What did you think of your portfolio review?

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,567 Times in 2,176 Posts
    Follows
    Following

What did you think of your portfolio review?

Curious what you thought of your reviews....

Great to see all the work.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason, George and John for the review.

A lot of time was spent on my portfolio, I felt like you took enough time to talk about my work. I had to re-watch my review to catch what was said about working on my edges. I figured I had missed something important after failing to hear it the first time. (An offhand comment that I needed to hear.)

Jason, good to hear you relating my lack of attention to drawing in my painting to your experiences, and the master painting discussions throughout the session.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was great! It was the first time a professional has reviewed my concept art work. I really learned a lot and now I have a much clearer idea as to what I should be improving. Thanks so much for your time.

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks tons for the review!
    It was the needed kick and insight to find a new direction for improvement. I re watched it many times to gather it all. Greatly appreciated your time in doing so.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so so much for the review. I don't have the money or opportunity to attend any of the workshops or conventions where I can get a portfolio review like this, so it was really amazing for me to get the chance here.

I feel like I learned so much from it- I gained a little bit of confidence in seeing which areas I'm doing well in, and it really opened my eyes to the areas where I was slacking and need to put in some more hard work. Sometimes it's hard to see those things when you are studying on your own without a teacher.

So thanks again for what you guys are doing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for reviewing my portfolio. It this was an amazing opportunity and I'm glad I didn't missed it.
    This was the first time I got a decent review of my work and I really needed it. I've learned many things and now I know on what I should focus to improve.
    I think all the reviews were great and what you're doing gives a lot of people hope.
    Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The review was good. i found John to be much more encouraging than Jason, but I guess that's just personality differences. I think that the review did help clarify direction with portfolio(which I was looking for) and direction with self studies(which was a bonus).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic! Thanks so much for the critique! I wasn't sure on what exactly I needed to focus on first since there's so much, but your pointers were perfect.
    To be honest I was very nervous, but the critique was very encouraging and enlightening.

Thanks again!

-Jesica

sketchbook

Confidence isn't saying, 'I've reached the best I can be--I can go no further.' It's saying 'I know what I'm doing, but I can always get better.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for doing this Jason. The critiques I got are quite ....blunt! Very brutally honest and honestly it really made me reel a little. They really are not mincing their words are they!

Apart from a few points where I deduced that it's only based on their subjective preference, I agree with what my critiques say. and I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason, I've been watching the first three reviews and I'm slightly confused about the way the reviews are chosen. At first you where going through them in chronological order which i thought was the original plan. then you started doing the TAD students (and i thought that was fair enough as they are paying customers), but now It's changed to who ever is posting their link in the chat. Which i can understand the merit of having the artist participate an all but I'm usually asleep by the time that time as i work mornings so is there any chance you can do page three in chronological order when you get to it, or just when you get to my post just do it instead of waiting for me to be in the chat as I've only managed 1/3 so far. Thanks for your time, these have been great!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really appreciated the portfolio review!
    I feel like mine wasn't nearly as long as the others because it was squeezed in at the end and John kind of veered off on an unrelated topic, then it was over.
    But I really do appreciate the comments. Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm either stupid or ignorant (pick which one is best used here) because I have got no clue where to find my review from 07-06? I've been looking all over this place without any outcome so far. Can someone please tell me where to find it so I too get to find out the result.

Thank you in advance.

-Cheers

My Sketchbook
    My Blog/gallery.
    My Tweets

Thank you for visiting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Derek's feedback

Hey Jason, I completely forgot to leave my feedback, but yeah I just wanted to first say thank you for the review and thank you for offering something like this to everyone, and I look forward to getting another review and or kick in the ass on my future work. The critique was very helpful in informing me what I should stay away from and what I need to work on such as edge control, refining thumbnails, and paying more attention to everything in general. Again, thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portfolio review was awesome I really got something out of it and made me realize stuff about myself actually. I personally think its awesome for Mr.Manley to give critiques for free on his time because I know he could be doing something else. I wish there was a way I could be around or stay in touch with people like the people who gave critiques. Thank you for your Advice and efforts
    William Scott

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you a lot for your review! I was a little bit upset it finished so suddenly, i have hoped to listen some summary, it was very important for me... But nevertheless, it was very useful and honest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great review

Thanks for a very insightful review - yeah, I need to work on my characters,that's a big weak spot for me, unfortunately. And I was amazed to hear that you would accept my application for TAD scholarship program! I emailed you, can't wait to hear from you!

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,567 Times in 2,176 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes reviews will be shorter as what we have said to the previous artists also applies to those who have shorter reviews. The key is listening to the reviews before and after yours while looking at your own art. Can you see the things that need to be improved if you imagine that same crit was for you?

We will continue with more of these. They are a lot of fun to do.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason - did you receive a PM or email from me about scholarship possibilities that you mentioned during my folio review?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering if there's any more information about how the portfolios are picked - I read that the only portfolios being reviewed right now are the ones that are posted in the chat windows, and the last portfolio that has been reviewed from the signup thread was 6 or 7 July, if I'm not mistaken. While I would love the be there during the session, I live in the Netherlands and can't attend the whole session without losing a lot of sleep, from the times I've seen. Are portfolios from the thread still being reviewed, so participants can watch them later?

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a great review from Jason and John today. You know when there is so much to learn and so many different roads to take it helps so much to hear it from top professionals first hand. You guys were laughing at how you can focus on the issues and just drop in the strengths at the end but that is exactly what a learning artists like myself needs. Now I have some clear and direct goals I need to do to improve and that makes things so much easier. I cant thank you enough.

My Website I am available for work

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GuruGaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, I am really hell-bent on getting a review since this opportunity couldn't of come at a better time in my life. I posted my thread and my sign up on July 2nd, and don't think I got reviewed yet (I watched all the review sessions except july 11, and 13).

What can I do to get reviewed? Maybe I have to be in the session live to get reviewed and you don't do reviews for artists that aren't there live?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same here , just like Pavel Soko, even my Portfolio is not reviewed.
    posted my thread and my sign up but no review yet.
    Appreciate your efforts, but mentioning this just as a query.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My portfolio got reviewed in yesterday's on demand episode by John English and George Pratt. I am jumping out of my skin in excitement!

So I just watched it and it was absolutely amazing. Due to a strange set of mishaps, I got the longest review I am aware of anyone getting. My luck is out of control

What happened is that for some reason instead of clicking on the Portfolio thread prepared for this review, my FF portfolio thread got clicked on, which has everything I made since 2009 almost. This has proven to be both a blessing and a huge source of embarrassment as these legendary artists were often looking at little experiments and sketches that I would never have had the audacity to subject them to. Having my worst pieces from 2010 pop up left me gasping for air and almost having heart attacks but there is so much value in that. In having to confront some of my worst works I learned about their place in my current portfolio as well as a big lesson on quality over quantity. I will surely get on that FF thread and clean it up significantly.

The biggest lesson however, is value control. My mid tones were underdeveloped and even missing sometimes. This is no good, and black should not be used as often as I do. "Use colour to shade instead of black". This will have an IMMENSE impact on my future work I think.

They also questioned a lot of the "purpose" of the portrait work I have done. The two that confused them the most were commissions for money done from given photographs. That is the reason for their existence, but it shines a light on what place they have in my portfolio, as well as the importance of "having a point". I never put much thought into having a point, or an idea, and this will be disappointing to the viewers. I should put more context into my work.

Thirdly, I was told to be careful with my usage of photo references. Life studies are a consistent advice I get which was reflected in John's and George's opinions.

In the end, it was an extremely rewarding experience getting this review that shone light on my limitations. It was stressful at times when un-intended work was being looked at, but hey, if you drew it, you must answer for it, right? I wonder how differently it would of went if my best pieces were looked at, but I have a great feeling that what actually happened came from a place of honesty, and far exceeds the "comfort" of them looking at my new works. I am sure there is plenty value in that.

Extremely happy, thanks so much John and George!

Last edited by Pavel Sokov; July 20th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, many thanks to Jason, John, George and the other guest critics for providing this awesome service.

I have watched almost every review (multiple times) since they started and have learned an immense amount from listening in, there is a wealth of information and everyone should take the time to catch as many as you have time for. You will learn! Guaranteed.

The greatest thing about watching others get reviewed is that you can maintain your objectivity and really absorb what they are saying and apply it to your own work. As long as you can be honest enough with yourself, you will see that there are others who are at the same level as you, and their critiques apply to you as well. You hear the reviewers making a lot of the same comments over and over, it's not because that's all the information they have, it's because all of us are at similar stages in our understanding of the subject and the advice they give are the broad foundations that good art is built upon. All of us can be better served by going back to the basics.

I'd like to mention that if you want to make sure you get reviewed, join in live and request it. There are only around 10 people on average per session that I've seen, so it should be pretty easy to get in (if your timezone allows). If not, I wouldn't worry, the sessions go til Aug 5th as far as I know, and they do around 5 each time. And please remember that they are doing this for free and have some gratitude.

I had my review on Wednesday, July 18th, John and Jason were the reviewers for that session. I would have liked a review of each of my works, but that's unrealistic given the time (~15min), they looked at everything but made comments on about 4 pieces. And they zoomed right in on what I think are my weakest works. Which, in itself, taught me a lot about portfolio presentation in general: only show your best work, even if it's only a few pieces and make sure every piece is there for a reason.

Anyway, I think that in general, aside from the great advice, the reviews are handled quite well. There's a nice balance of pointing out both the positives and negatives of the portfolio, which is great, because most of us are going to only hear the bad. I know I did when I got mine, it took me a little to walk it off and think about it objectively. Hopefully, people are prepared for that going in. They will point out your weaknesses and it can be harsh, they will probably laugh at you, suck it up and move on. If I only wanted nice words, I'd show my Mom.

John did a paint over of one of my pieces that was insanely useful. He talks a lot about conscious picture making and designing with shapes of light and dark, this really hammered it home. I attached a GIF of what he did so you can how useful it is. The darker version is the paint over, he also lightened up the shadows on the figures which really helped the figures read. Check it out.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Thanks again.

Attached Images Attached Images  

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanLlanas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my portfolio review from John English on the 25th, and I have to say it was totally worth the two hours wait to see if anyone would show up!

I can't even describe how I'm happy I am to have my work reviewed by him, I knew going in he could give me great feedback, as I know he excels in the stuff I feel I'm reaching for and failing. It was unbelievably helpful to have him point out the weak spots in my pieces and show how I could have done it better, it really opened my eyes. On my own I feel I get stuck on knowing a piece is screwed up, but not knowing how to fix it, and just overcompensating on other areas in the hopes I'll start liking it again. I felt he could really see what I had wanted to do and failed in places and succeeded in others, and offer the pointers to help me on my way. By the end of it I was almost asleep as it was 3 am, but I wrote down all the pointers he gave and will be rewatching the review to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Now I feel I have great direction for continuing forward, and quite a few composition studies to do. He really made me feel confident I can take it to the next level by continuing to work hard. Eventually I'll have portfolio I'm happy with!

Thanks so much John!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watched my reviw on demand.Thanks a lot John English for the time you put on the pieces and the comments.It was really interesting.Lots of good points regarding what i need to improve.It was quite inspiring.After watching the recording, i re-worked the two portraits.Much appreciatted.

The sessions i have seen were great.Thanks to all the people doing the reviews.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Invaluable Affirmation

July 25th I decided to get off work a little early to catch a session live. I have been watching the recorded sessions for the last 2 weeks and in simple observation I have already gleaned tremendously valuable insight, so I decided I would try to immerse myself in the experience and be present.

I have to admit I had been really struggling with the thought of missing this opportunity due to a wildly unfocused and incomplete portfolio, but my spontaneity got the best of me and I asked for a brief analysis on my current work as John was wrapping up for the evening.

My approach was a bit tenacious, I hope he will forgive me for the opportunism (and the terrible initial mic feedback ). He was gracious enough to spend considerable time discussing my latest projects at the end of the session. I can't even express how incredible it was.

It was my first time receiving professional critique and even as intimidated and nervous as I was, John displayed Zen-like patience with me and analyzed my work with an articulate and constructive optimism. I genuinely appreciate the time and effort you put into the critique of my work, John. I know the whole thing was a bit unorthodox, but you truly honored me and displayed tremendous artistic integrity with that gesture.

My deepest respects to the TAD staff, executives and co-operative professionals involved in the organization and execution of this project. It is clear your efforts have made a very positive impact on the community.

I can certainly say after this experience that I would be thrilled to attend TAD. I will be researching the viability of scholarship with your institution.

And again, my sincerest gratitude.
    Ryan Christensen

"All intelligence wanders; and has no rest." -Orson Scott Card

Blog
    Portfolio
    CA Sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Wretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for the reviews!

Honestly ive never had such an in depth and honest critique of my work in my life. I really appreciated the time you guys put into doing this and it's helped a ton.

Thanks again

35. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you all for the kind words!

It is a pleasure to assist artists looking to improve. I have enjoyed the experience and format of these review and I look forward to returning next week.

I will try to get some additional faculty members from TAD to assist. Should be easy now that we have finished our 3-week workshop for the kick off next semester!

See you on Monday.

Best,

John

37. The Following User Says Thank You to John English For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3