Environments I tried to bring out of abstract shapes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environments I tried to bring out of abstract shapes

I've been observing different possibilities with perspective and abstract shapes since I suck at it and these are what turned out. Advice please..

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ninjalizard; July 5th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    have you watched Feng Zhu videos?
    Look at this, i think this is exactly what you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPcSuLe73g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I've seen that. (:

I've learned a lot from watching him but I still have trouble refining and achieving that certain ominous look that is so cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, you could try using only one chalk brush like Feng uses in the videos.
    Also, instead of trying to build landscapes from abstrac shapes i suggest you doing studies of real landscapes again and again.
    Then when you have an amazing visual library in your head you could start doing awesome from imagination landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These aren't bad at all. But at some point, you need to draw something. You seem very unsure as to what you are actually drawing. Once you block out the general idea like you have done here, you need to start getting more specific. What kind of house is that? What does the door look like? what do the mountains behind it look like? What kind of trees are those? What is the ground made up of? etc. etc. Right now it is just: this is a house - this is grass - this is a dead tree, etc. Very little information means you aren't making very many decisions. The more decisions you make, the clearer the goal of your painting becomes.

I think that, if you aren't able to add some specificity to your environments, you need to start doing a whoooole lot more reference gathering/drawing things from life.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Goog View Post
    These aren't bad at all. But at some point, you need to draw something. You seem very unsure as to what you are actually drawing. Once you block out the general idea like you have done here, you need to start getting more specific. What kind of house is that? What does the door look like? what do the mountains behind it look like? What kind of trees are those? What is the ground made up of? etc. etc. Right now it is just: this is a house - this is grass - this is a dead tree, etc. Very little information means you aren't making very many decisions. The more decisions you make, the clearer the goal of your painting becomes.

I think that, if you aren't able to add some specificity to your environments, you need to start doing a whoooole lot more reference gathering/drawing things from life.
    Wow.. thanks!

Your advice has been extremely helpful and I think you are spot on about my problem. After getting to the what the images look like now I was conflicted about where I would go next. I am now realizing your advice on how much decision making should go into this and the various elements I can include. It is exactly what kept me interested when watching some other artist's speed-painting video. I will now go compile a library of cool real life stuff from google images and absorb them. Super excited!

Eddy Montana: Yeah I just tried using the chalk brush and made a mess and I'm loving the texture..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.