Sketchbook: I'm a hungry shark that feeds on your C&C ! - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back with a brand new sketchbook page. Once again took my time with this one. Tried to apply all those knee cap and fashion studies into practice on this page. Played around with tones as well. The legs look a bit funky which means that they need to be studied more. I might have been subconsciously thinking about Brave when I drew that bear hat thingy.

Name:  Sketchbook - 101.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  282.5 KB

"All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

MY SKETCHBOOK, COMMENT & CRITIC THE SHIT OUT OF ME
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey y'all

Experimented with markers. The experience can be summed up with this one picture. Doesn't mean that I will give up. I'll try to do a similar page once a day all through February.

Name:  Sketchbook - 102.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  89.7 KB

Still life done with a pencil. Inanimated objects, animals & enviros could be February's focus. I need a break from humans.

Name:  Life - 0099.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  80.1 KB

"All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arms on that creature are way too long. I guess it's a thing now: a new sketchbook page once a day all through February. Can't back up now. A promise has been made. Probably going to focus on forms, perspective, animals etc and not on humans but who knows.

Name:  Sketchbook - 103.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  124.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shading practice

Name:  Sketchbook - 104.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  50.7 KB

Enviro practice

Name:  Digi - 0069.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  83.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oy, thanks for swinging by my SB. I appreciate it as well as the comps. Sorry I never got back to you about the Donnie Darko thing earlier. Not to get much into my interpretation, but in the movie the people have this extension of themselves that extrudes from the mid section, or belly and in your sketch you sort of have the same thing going on. So was just curious. I actually thought it was really interesting in the film or as a concept in general. Anyways, keep up the hard work man, a sketch a day is challenging, but very beneficial.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I STRaY I Sounds like a cool concept. Well now I know which movie to watch next. I'm still a little bit nervous whether or not I'm going to be able to pull this sketchbook thing off. I guess I have to just suck it up and freaking DO IT.

Practicing forms and perspective with industrial design books. I want to get into vehicle concepting/robots/etc. even though I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea. At least I'm doing something different and stepping out of my comfort zone. Plus if I really want to become a concept artist I need to be able to do everything.

Name:  Sketchbook - 105.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  65.8 KB

The Sunday clothing study. Drapery is hard...

Name:  Digi - 0070.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  85.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy! Seeing that you are think of tackling perspective next, I highly recommend watching Scott Robertson's DVD on Basic Perspective Drawing as well as the other DVDs he has to offer since you are planning to get into the technical industrial design forms of drawing. I still think there may be more to work on with your human figures. Sure you portray the forms of the human figure in an anatomically correct manner but there is still more to the concept like rhythm which seems like an important way to give your figure Liveliness, there is a complete book on it "Force Dynamic Life Drawing For Animators". Now I understand it is directed for animators but this maybe a good thing since animators really try to portray the figure in a dynamic sense so you'll be transferring that trait over. Anyway keep drawing!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kamikazel33t You're absolutely right about the figures. They're far from perfect but it's just that I wanna do something different for a change. There's other things to draw than humans, y'know. Thanks for the book recommendation. It doesn't matter that it's intended for animators. It's actually quite beneficial because if some people can draw then it's animators. I also looked into Scott Robertson and I gotta say it's just what I've been looking: basic forms and how they work in perspective. Just pure perfectness. I will be going over his DVDs for sure.

Maximum enviro suckitude. Man I feel embarrassed.

Name:  Digi - 0071.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  95.0 KB

Today's sketchbook page. Studied cast shadows. Drew an enviro from mind but failed haha. Also tried to reproduce yesterday's dress study from memory.

Name:  Sketchbook - 106.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  96.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's sketchbook page. The DJ is on fiyaah !

Name:  Sketchbook - 0107.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  108.2 KB

Life drawing as usual. I seem to have forgotten the croque drawings in the classroom but no biggie. They were crappy anyway. Here's the longer pose that I sort of like even though I didn't nail the model's likeness.

Name:  Life - 0100.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  108.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday's SB page. Basic shapes plus a robo. It's good to get back to the basics.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0108.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  88.3 KB

Today's SB page. More on cast shadows plus a few random animals. Oh man the I could get super serious about animals: study anatomy, learn names and try to draw them from memory. Definitely going to help with creature design. Imma make more of these fo shure.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0109.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  127.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome perspective studies ozark! mad kudos for those! i would like to see you apply the same construction lines to your figures, at least the basic construcion grid to imply tilt and wether you are looking up at it, down at it or dead center keep it up dude i want to see more stuff!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX Thanks dude. I was wondering when you'd come back. My lack of knowledge on perspective is something that's been irking me for a while so I decided to do something about it. Will keep your advice in mind once I resume my figure studies.

Sketchbook pages from the last three days. Perspective and animals. 'Nuff said.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0110.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0111.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0112.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  84.8 KB

Last edited by ozark; February 11th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice animals, it is good that you are thinking of the midline and the rhythms the spine has - they're very useful tools for constructing animals, and the midline is a useful guide when you get into using perspective. Keep up with the perspective work too; really think about the space those blocks and cylinders take up and try applying them to your drawings more - like you seem to be doing in the figure in your first picture.

A quick suggestion regarding the digital work is to have a go at working in just value for a bit. It is often easier to get a feel for the medium without having to think about a whole extra topic.

Good luck with your sketchbook challenge for February; I hope you make it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clockodile Yup animals are another thing I need to immerse myself into. I've drawn animals before but I've never taken it seriously. I've got a pile of animal anatomy books waiting to be devoured. They may keep me busy for a while. Just trying to acknowledge the fact that the world is diverse place with tons of things to draw other than humans. Perspective is coming along nicely as well. One thing I've noticed while doing this sketchbook challenge is that daily sketches are not my thing. Spending a couple of days on a page is actually more beneficial for me instead instead trying to get something done quickly while learning nothing. But a promise is promise. You're also right about the digi work.

The latest sketchbook pages with various schtuff. Tried drawing a futuristic swoop bike on the first page but obviously failed. The monsters on the second page were inspired by a late night Amnesia gaming session. I was scared shitless.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0113.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0114.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  116.7 KB

Today's life drawings

The quickies:

Name:  Life - 0101.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  Life - 0102.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  Life - 0103.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  47.1 KB

Had some revelations while making the longer pose.

Name:  Life - 0104.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  83.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ozark View Post
    clockodile Yup animals are another thing I need to immerse myself into. I've drawn animals before but I've never taken it seriously. I've got a pile of animal anatomy books waiting to be devoured. They may keep me busy for a while. Just trying to acknowledge the fact that the world is diverse place with tons of things to draw other than humans.
    Oh yes, there is a lot of stuff out there to try drawing - I often find trying out new subjects gives a bit of a confidence boost too.

Good job on the last anatomy study - it looks like you really got thinking whilst drawing it, and you're getting better at showing the change in planes with those form lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot damn, I'm loving the amount of work you're putting in! I can't offer much to say, except keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ozark , I see you're one busy artist..Keep it up..You'll go places..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing alot of improvement, good job!

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketch book man. I see you're committed to improving and willing to put in the necessary work. I already see a pretty large improvement from the first page to the last. If I had any suggestions it would be to incorporate more gesture drawings into your routine. They can be fun, really loosen you up and will help with the tendency to over render in the early stages (as well as improving your eye for proportions). Keep it up and you'll be drawing/painting with the best of them!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Juniversal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clockodile You bring up a valid point. Doing something different for a change and then going back to your usual stuff shows you how much you've actually improved. Appreciate the compliments as well.

kiichi Fo shizzle ma nizzle. Glad you enjoy my struggle.

lanotdesign That's the plan. Thanks for dropping by.

V3T

Juniversal You're not the only one who has brought up gestures. I guess it's a sign for me to start doing them. Still got a long way to become one of the best but your words gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

The SB pages:

Figures and animals.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0115.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  124.8 KB

I like this page. Practiced perspective plus kneecaps from memory.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0116.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  134.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff lately ozark! alot of variety i can learn from you, i also recommend you to do those gestures, since your figures are looking way too stiff, as if you focus on rendering the muscles and the limb but dont care about how well the pose reads, gesture will help you because in a gesture there is NO rendering just motion, assymetry the most pure condition of the line, and its better if you do it in fewer strokes possible, see how the curves dance around in the body specially.

also this is a valentines gift from me http://www.reybustos.com/03ra/Mike_mx.htm

rey bustos did some anatomical studies on photographs and overlapped them since you love that musculature i thought you would dig those, copy them look at them sleep with them and get them in your head maybe through anatomical knowledge your stiffness will resolve as well to a certain degree.

i WANT THOSE GESTURES!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX Well, you certainly got me convinced on those gestures. You'll get a ton of them next month. That link kicks ass btw. I may have to return the favor someday.

Gestures, shapes in perspective & horses.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0117.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  84.1 KB

Scribbles

Name:  Sketchbook - 0118.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  91.0 KB

Photo study. I've missed painting faces.

Quote Originally Posted by clockodile View Post
    A quick suggestion regarding the digital work is to have a go at working in just value for a bit. It is often easier to get a feel for the medium without having to think about a whole extra topic.
    I guess you're right.

Name:  Digi - 0072.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  141.0 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ozark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ozark View Post
    Juniversal You're not the only one who has brought up gestures. I guess it's a sign for me to start doing them. Still got a long way to become one of the best but your words gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    That makes me happy to hear that. The horses you drew above have a great gestural quality to them. Not stiff or over rendered and I see you got a few gestures on the page. Keep it up! With your work flow I think you'll see your proportions and rendering improve sooner then later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes the horses are awesome, a nice feel of balance, i cant discenr the weight bearing legs but its harder to do that in a four legged animal, keep those up, those head construction sketches look nice too, the brow area and that wedge are very important to grasp since its a very complicated part of the head and also very expressive, i recommend you to look up some reily abstractions i think nathan fowkes uses them for his portrait studies and paintings you can see his steps by step too!

http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.mx/2012...p-by-step.html

My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX & Juniversal Lion delivers it once again with the links.

I've fallen behind on updating the sketchbook challenge. Here's the last four pages with mostly gestures in them.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0119.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0120.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0121.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0122.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  Life - 0105.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Life - 0106.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  Life - 0107.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  111.9 KB

such a boring update but this all I've got atm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A week to go...

Name:  Sketchbook - 0123.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  132.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES sweet loose getures man i fucking love it! when you do a bit longer ones try to add tone as well, and try to always use the gesture as a tool for sketching if you get comfortable around them they can be so helpful, come on i want more GOGOGOGOGO!

My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up those gestures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionheartGFX You'll get 'em more.

Pavlov Will do !

dem sketches

Name:  Sketchbook - 0124.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0125.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 0126.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  56.0 KB

lifeee

Name:  Life - 0108.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  69.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    durr durr

Name:  Sketchbook - 0127.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  105.1 KB

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast