Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman arms continued:

Life drawings:

My sis watching Made.

Word of advise: don't draw when you're drunk. The results may shock you either way. Just look at the next piece. It's my bro's gf.

And another one where my sister is watching a Behind the Music documentary on T-Pain. It turns out T-Pain's dad had a drug problem which he hid from his family. Tragic stuff.

This still life was done today. Had a toy plane lying around and decided to paint it. Not satisfied with it, spent probably close to 2 hours with it.

"All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

MY SKETCHBOOK, COMMENT & CRITIC THE SHIT OUT OF ME
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm running out of old sketchbook pages to share. Yikes. Anybody got suggestions how to defeat skewed drawings ? There's a couple of examples what I'm talking about scattered around these sketchbook pages, namely the woman standing and the guy looking towards the viewer. If you flip these pages horizantally they look all wrong.

A puppy and a dragon. What a combination.

Should probably do more gestural stuff similar to the woman in lower right corner. Fill a whole page with that kind of stuff.

The spider woman hybrid is interesting I might say.

Today's self-portrait. Spent approximately 2 hours with it. Still hard as fuck but I think I'm getting somewhere. Brush economy could be improved.

We're on page 3, people !

"All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the breakthrough I was referring to a couple of posts back. Below are my first attempts at drawing a human figure completely from my mind which is mainly how I'm going to approach anatomy from now on. After I'm done with Bridgman I intend to focus on motion photos for the most peculiar poses and doing stuff from my imagination. I think I'm at a stage where I have enough information to start figuring out this shit on my own and create my own rules. In the end my main goal is to draw my own interpretation of the human figure which is still believable and as anatomically correct as possible.

Bridgman arms durr durr

Last edited by ozark; August 12th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are brilliant anatomy studies. Your dedication to understanding the human form is admirable! One problem I have always had when studying from anatomy books is a disconnect between sketching the forms of the bone structures and REAL, ACTUAL understanding of how the forms work.

I am seeing a lot of influence from Bridgman, Hogarth etc. These are great artists, and it's good to follow their way of thinking when analysing the human form, but I believe they would both tell you that the most effective way of learning is by creating your own methods.

I'm not sure if I am misinterpreting your studies, but it looks from here as if a large proportion of your work is done from reference, either an anatomy book, or artistic anatomy. So my suggestion is to go out more, in coffee shops for example, or find a museum with sculptures, and find these forms yourself. Try to make your own shortcuts. This to me is the real, important message contained in all analytical figure study books.

The knowledge you have gained from studying in real anatomy books will definitely make a difference though, because you now have an understanding for how the mechanisms work! So the studying more from real examples, by exaggerating forms and coming up with your own way of doing it, is my only suggestion.

Good luck, and keep working hard! You've definitely inspired me to work on my anatomy!

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook
    Please feel free to add a comment, I appreciate all feedback!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceddo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ceddo View Post
    One problem I have always had when studying from anatomy books is a disconnect between sketching the forms of the bone structures and REAL, ACTUAL understanding of how the forms work.
    I have this problem too. Whenever I'm drawing from my mind I'm always trying to truly understand what I'm drawing and how it functions.

I'm not sure if I am misinterpreting your studies, but it looks from here as if a large proportion of your work is done from reference, either an anatomy book, or artistic anatomy. So my suggestion is to go out more, in coffee shops for example, or find a museum with sculptures, and find these forms yourself. Try to make your own shortcuts. This to me is the real, important message contained in all analytical figure study books.
    You're absolutely right. The reason why I've devoured and copied so much drawings from anatomy books is frankly because six months ago I knew nothing about anatomy. I could only draw heads which is why I went on a studying spree. Btw, there's one sculpture study in page 2.

So the studying more from real examples, by exaggerating forms and coming up with your own way of doing it, is my only suggestion.
    This what I'm aiming for in the long run. If only those life drawing classes would start sooner...

You've definitely inspired me to work on my anatomy!
    Well, this is a first. I've never inspired anyone. I don't what to say. I guess you're welcome, ceddo.

In other news I've now decided that I won't post anything on this thread unless there's one piece that I've done from my mind whether it be just a doodle or something finished. This thread can't all be about dull studies, can it ? I feel like there's a side to me which you haven't seen.

Arm studies because I can't seem to draw them from memory.

From memory:

Yesterday's still life. It's a big ass leaf that I picked up while I was taking my dog out for a walk. Am I getting better ?

I love painting them womenfolk:

And as promised here's a digi doodle for funzies:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's update starts out with some old sketchbook pages that I forgot to share. Nothing too fancy here, just doodling around.

Warm-up exercises:

My friend ruined this page with his hideous tagging skills.

I'm gradually starting to understand the arm a little bit more thanks to Bridgman.

And next may I present you with some... apples. haha. I'm loving these quick 1 hour-ish still life studies more and more.

And finally a pretty refined drawing and PS digi poop. Here you can see my current weaknesses. I can do a piece from my imagination with a pencil pretty good but when it comes digital stuff I suck balls. Gotta work harder I guess.

I realized a thing or two while I did this piece. One, working from your mind isn't impossible if you practice enough. Two, all those anatomical studies didn't go down the drain. Three, must do more work like this. In case you can't read the little text in the upper left corner, it reads "I'm running away from all my problems... with style" which sums up the backstory for the piece. Picture a thirtysomething career woman who's fed up with her life and decides to run away and take some time for herself. And all those professionals out there, could you please point out all the mistakes you can find in this drawing ?

Ugghh... I'm embarrassed to share this. Just playing around so don't take this one seriously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things have been going a little bit slowly lately but I think I've scraped enough material for an update.

First off, here's two pages of Bridgman arm studies. I think the only reason why I keep doing these is because there's only a handful of pages remaining in my sketchbook and these studies provide an easy way of filling out pages. And just so you know, I've had this sketchbook for 1,5 years which explains why I want to get rid of it as soon as possible. I'm getting kinda sick of it.

Here's a photo study of a hand because I have no idea how to paint hands. I know how to draw them but painting them is a whole another thing. It's like I have to relearn everything about the hand. I still think I did ok for a first timer.

Painted a bust study of Lenin. Before you start accusing me of being a communist I can honestly say that I wasn't the one who bought it. Let's just say that my father was once nuts about the old Russia...

Finished a sketch I started ages ago. This is what happens when you have watched Paprika the other day and subconsciously think about James Jean. You get a drawing of a fairy sitting on something. Btw, everything is from imagination. There's still something wrong with but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the legs...

Today's self-portrait. Ugggh....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's time for an update. Here's some old anatomy studies that I forgot to share. There's two pages of Riven Phoenix studies and two pages of Hampton studies.

Two SPs. The first one is three months old, back when I was making my baby steps into the world of digital painting. Second one was done on Sunday and is the first one in pencil in a while after doing a lot of SPs with the computer. One thing I noticed was that it's pretty different to move back to colored pencils when you have worked on the computer for quite some time.

On my 19th birthday last Monday I got the best birthday present in ages. I completed my sketchbook that I've kept since the spring of 2011. THAT'S RIGHT ! THIS BOOK ! FULL OF DRAWINGS ! ROAARR !

Here's a celebratory self-portrait that shows how I feel when I've filled out a sketchbook. Happy as hell. Really pushed myself with this one and I'm glad I did. I think it's the best SP I've painted thus far.

Tried drawing a mecha/robo thingy. Ref used.

Flying robo doodle in PS.

Booty and a bare chest.

Since I've now grown one sketchbook bigger I started a new one which is a Moleskine that I bought in Greece back in 2009. It's been gathering dust ever since. Anyway, I think I'm in love with this thing. The paper has just the right thickness and the whole book can easily fit in your pocket making it a perfect mobile sketchbook. I'm probably going to fill it with drawings done in pen. Without further ado, let me present you the fruits of my labor.

This first sketch was done in a shopping mall where I work. The mall is just filled with interesting angles and really tests your perspective skills. I fucked up one part of the drawing which I've kindly pointed out with the FAIL stamp. I have this love/hate relationship with the pen. It's so brutally unforgiving yet it forces you to make decisions because mistakes can't be erased. You will actively think about the lines you put down on the paper.

This one I did this morning. There was this excavator parked on the street where I live. It looked cool enough to be drawn. Sat down, people went by, had fun.

I've now signed up for the life drawing class. !YAY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman studies on the pronator/supinator and the elbow:

Scott Eaton motion photo studies done with a pen for obvious reasons. Check out his site. There's tons of pictures of people doing the most amazing things with their bodies. I'm learning so much from these studies. Doing them with a pen forces you to focus your attention on the main lines and the essence of the pose. Also the whole mistakes can't be erased thing adds a whole new excitement to these studies. There's going to be more of these studies in the future for sure !

Various studies from life:

A ribbon ! Had a fuck this shit moment midway and lost interest.

A failed mall sketch:

Another Lenin bust study:

I still don't know how paint people.

Painted a fighter chick with a pair of high heels:

Moleskine sketch:

Finally here's... headz 'cause I suck at drawing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, your studies from bridgeman are really great, but in my opinion you are not correctly applying them into your imagination stuff. Especially watch your proportion, your figures have often too short or long legs and facial features are kinda misplaced. And i think you need to get little bit more comfort with your pencil and improve line quality (althou that red pencil portrait with hat from #68 is very good). Try to train straight lines (just draw one by ruler if you need and then try to trace that, then try to connect two points on paper etc.) and then curves and ellipses. I am sure you will skyrocket with that, because you are already on good way Keep doing good work!

My sketchbook - Please, help me grow Critique very appreciated

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jakubvavrik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jakubvavrik Thanks for your advice, man. You're right about the facial features and the imagination stuff. Expect line quality studies in the future.

The last update of August starts out with some more Scott Eaton motion photo studies. Got a nice sequential flow in the latter one.

Moar headz from various sources: Loomis, photos, imagination. I'm going to start doing tons of head studies because I need to get bettah.

Tried drawing my dog but he kept moving so I ended up with some weird pen drawings. Enjoy !

D'oh ! A still life study of a Homer toy.

My sister chilling and watching Degrassi. First time I used a black Prismacolor colored pencil so I was a bit lost. I sort of got the hang of it in the end. I bought a bulk of them after reading on ccsears's SB that it's the standard tool in the industry.

A self-portrait done with an orange col-erase pencil. I think my understanding of values with a pencil has improved. It's still not near the pencil work of Whit Brachna but I think I'm getting somewhere.

A study that proves that next month will be dedicated to the study of eyes, lips and noses. Period.

Finally, I painted... boobs. But seriously, here's a random hot chick from head. Funny thing is, this is actually better than the previous study that was reffed. This is all from my mind. I also got to say that my painting skills have improved miles from last month. !YAY FOR PROGRESS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess what I've been doing during this two-week long blackout ? I've been sick, dreamt about being the next James Jean, listened to Koreans gone bad, read tons of Walking Dead, discovered Jeff Simpson, had fun with my friends…

Oh and I've also drawn so much that my hands started bleeding. I'm going to share the fruits of my labor in tiny tidbits over the course of this week.

Studied eyes:

Headz:

Trying to apply stuff I've learned from those motion photo studies plus a girl in a parka:

Last edited by ozark; September 16th, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of noses:

A nude figure study:

Heads and hands:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today is a double post day ! Since I have tons of material to share I figured why not.

Lips are fun to paint:

Hands and random figures from mind:

A couple of SPs. I look like a hamster in the first one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More faces. These are just ugly as fuck.

And again, here's a life drawing of my sister. She's like the only in my family whose willing to pose for me.

A girl portrait from my imagination. I tried applying all the things I learned from those facial feature studies into practice. Pretty happy with it.

The life drawing class has been going on for two weeks now and all I can say I'm having a blast. Expect lots of nudies in my next post !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised, here's everything I've done on those two life drawing classes that I've had so far. The classes start with croque drawing that goes on for a half an hour. The rest of the class is dedicated to a more longer pose.

3 minutes

5 minutes

1 minute

Here's two 1 hour long poses. I like the first one but the second one is just full of fail. I hate it. Maybe I failed because I was having a shitty day, who knows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure sketches on black paper. Left one is from a photo, right one is from mind.

Girls yay. Same thing here: the ones on the left are from photos and the ones on the right from imagination.

More facial feature studies:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super old perspective studies:

Name:  Perspective - 0001.jpeg
Views: 355
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  Perspective - 0002.jpeg
Views: 351
Size:  237.9 KB

Name:  Perspective - 0003.jpeg
Views: 355
Size:  79.3 KB

Practiced enviros. First one from ref, second one from imagination.

Name:  Digi - 0029.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  Digi - 0030.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  89.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many studies. Great effort, man, I'm seeing a LOT of improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, I admire your self portraits, they seem show a bit of life. In contrast to your previous pages where you draw very tight. I would suggest to try and let that freedom happen more randomly and I think you are well on your way to breathe life in your drawings. Also your sketch on the black paper is very inspiring.

Take care,
    -Talis

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nouge Thanks man gotta stay positive and optimistic I guess.

Talis Thanks for your kind words. Doing SPs is a lot of fun and dear to my heart. I know what you're talking about being more free and letting things just flow. I think I should allow happy accidents to happen more often. And yeah black paper is awesome.

Today's dump update:

Bro...

Name:  Life - 61.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  66.3 KB

Headphones...

Name:  Life - 62.jpeg
Views: 339
Size:  59.8 KB

Tried doing silhouettes and failed.

Name:  Digi - 0033.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  88.5 KB

A PS sketch that was going nowhere so I called quits on it.

Name:  Digi - 0034.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  102.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's post consists of life drawings and one Moleskine sketch.

Quick poses ranging from 1 minute to 5 minute poses.

Name:  Life - 64.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  Life - 65.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  Life - 66.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  125.4 KB

Name:  Life - 67.jpeg
Views: 315
Size:  131.8 KB

Longer pose. The model started listening to music during one of the breaks and kept the earplugs on when she resumed the pose. For the sake of keeping things fun, I drew the earplugs.

Name:  Life - 68.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  323.7 KB

Here's Moleskine sketch I completed a week ago. I spent too much time on it just to find out that light blue doesn't scan well. In the end I had to take a picture of it which is better than scanning but still not good enough. It's a shame because it actually looks great if you could see it with your own eyes. Hopefully the picture does it at least some justice so you guys can enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0060.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  323.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of days ago I was like "Damn, I don't know how to draw men at all." So I did a bunch of dude studies. Simple as that.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0059.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  Sketchbook - 61.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  Digi - 0035.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Digi - 0036.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  Digi - 0037.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  Digi - 0038.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  Digi - 0039.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  94.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah an update... let's see what I have...

my mom

Name:  Life - 63.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  163.2 KB

painted scissors

Name:  Life - 69.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  86.6 KB

a sp I didn't finish because my neck started to hurt

Name:  Daily SP - 0032 - 2012-09-28.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  65.5 KB

Vanderpoel eye studies on black paper

Name:  Sketchbook - 62.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  96.8 KB

another month has gone by oh how time passes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress man, I'd definitely recommend try smashing out some loomis head construction to drill in some basic fundamentals, then apply immediately after with some imagination stuff.

Keep it up dude!

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice volume of work! it's all about mileage man. keep up the studies, apply from imagination to see where you're lacking, rinse & repeat. don't stop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey You really have dedication but i think you should use it in a better way to improve. Great you're studying anatomy from books but you should draw more of it from life, it's the fastest way to learn. Videos from Vilppu in my opinion are helpful too. Some of your portraits are really lovely, keep it up man! Only avoid photos and study from life instead and you'll do just fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dilated You basically predicted October's study plan. I'm going to be mixing Loomis with some Vanderpoel studies because they are really helping me a ton.

Eightball_ I'm gradually beginning to understand that the name of the game in a nutshell is basically what you said. This month is all about painting bodies which I'm going to approach in the manner you suggested.

hu-ha I'm going to continue studying from both photos and life because they are both really helpful in their own ways. I used to hate photo studies because I saw no point in them but now I've sort of understood how they work. I attend a life drawing class once a week and try to draw from life as much as possible which is enough I suppose. Vilppu is great but he has his own way of doing things. I see no point in me watching boring anatomical videos instead of figuring out things on my own. Trust me, Riven Phoenix was enough. You're also right about the dedication part and how I fail to use it effectively. I'm working on it.

Quickie enviro. Damn I suck. In the future I have to dedicate a whole month to the study of environments.

Name:  Digi - 0041.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  51.2 KB

Female body study.

Name:  Digi - 0040.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  54.6 KB

Then tried doing one from memory.

Name:  Digi - 0042.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  43.8 KB

Fresh life drawings. The first ones were done in pen.

Name:  Life - 70.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  Life - 71.jpeg
Views: 232
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  Life - 72.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  134.0 KB

Eyes from memory. Vanderpoel did wonders. These are instantly better than any eyes I've ever drawn.

Name:  Sketchbook - 63.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  79.9 KB

Last edited by ozark; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_ Thanks ! You're right but there's still the problem of doing finished work which is the point of all these studies I guess.

Might as well share these ancient Michelangelo studies because I still think they're some of my best work. But yeah they're still copies…

Libyan sibyl

Name:  Master study - 0001 - Michelangelo.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  250.1 KB

Adam (you all know this one)

Name:  Master study - 0002 - Michelangelo.jpeg
Views: 194
Size:  207.8 KB

Study of a male body.

Name:  Digi - 0043.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  72.6 KB

From memory. Hideous.

Name:  Digi - 0044.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  52.4 KB

Moar Vanderpoel eye studies on black paper.

Name:  Sketchbook - 64.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  123.8 KB

Eyes from imagination.

Name:  Sketchbook - 65.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  73.0 KB

Btw does anyone know how to delete files permanently from your upload manager ? I'm having trouble with it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast