Canyon WIP - tear it to shreds!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, thanks for taking the time to glance at my piece. I'm new here, and was immediately impressed with the level of critique some people are willing to give.

This is an environment piece for a game i'm developing, its purpose was to highlight the sorts of rock formations you'll see on the walls (the focal point was supposed to be the arch in the semi foreground, i tried to bring it out by rendering it more, but failed.) I'm most concerned about depth and value, but my lighting scheme seems messy too. i'll describe it below.

the idea was to have the light shining through the two triangular bits of sky at the top, and slightly to the left, and casting onto the rock in the right foreground. I think it ended up looking as though there was light casting from the top right onto the left orange bits, making the right bit not work. I'd love to hear anything you have to say, though. thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like there's a wall receding behind your figure, hit by light that is coming in from the right, behind what we see of the cave, through some unseen entrance. The two triangles you were talking about are hard to find, because they don't read as sky, but rather a continuation of the cave wall.

I don't think anything on the right would be hit by the light from that entrance. Besides that, it looks more like you have three light sources than one; Orange, Pink, and Blue. If you convert this to greyscale, the orange highlights are actually darker than the pink and blue. I like the look of it, but there's no explanation for where that light is coming from. Caves are dark! Unless the cave is a tourist attraction, in which case they may install multicolored lights. Otherwise, you might have to give your guy flashlight.

Try doing a top down drawing of your scene, to get a clear idea of the space and how light will hit it. Also, gather more reference. Or if you have some caves in your region, take a trip!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the reply- it's actually a canyon, so it's open on top. the sun would be shining from behind and slightly to the right, so there would be plenty of light hitting at least the upper half of the left wall, which i think would cast a bit onto the other wall.

the grayscale bit was really helpful- i'll have a look at the brights, and also draw a top down perspective in a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! Maybe reading the title next time would be a good idea. Then my advice is for you to make this canyon a cave, thus retroactively validating my critique.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.