Am I on the right track?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I on the right track?

I'm revamping my portfolio and I just need to know if I'm heading in the right direction with this piece.

I can always go back and adjust the lineart and throw out the coloring that I started...

I fear I've lost her 'feral' quality that I was going for when I first started it.

Am I on the right track?

And a closeup of the lineart:

Am I on the right track?

Last edited by Lane DeLuna; July 6th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm pretty new here, so I'm definitely not qualified to crit your rendering skills. But I do quite a bit of line art, and there are two things that bug me a bit about your line work. Her left hands fingers are a bit too radial. It is true that when the hands unfold they come out in a radial pattern, but it feels as if the effect is a bit too strong there. If you can, take a picture of your own hand in the same pose for reference, and be sure to get far enough away from the camera to have the right perspective to work from (i do this all the time because hands are a freakin PAIN to get right). Her left leg is also ill-formed. Her knee seems to be bulbous as if the calf muscle that should be quite a bit lower has been shoved up into the joint. the leg should infer an hour-glass shape, tapering in to the knee, then out again for the calf muscle, then back in for the ankle. I don't think you have to over render her calf muscle, because you have a nice loose comic style going here, but you should definitely imply the muscle is there and in the correct position.

One more thing, composition-wise on your colored piece at the end. You should try to avoid using values that are too close together between your background and your character. Otherwise, they will fade into it and lose a lot of their strength. Be sure to keep a strong contrast between your background values/colors and your character so that they pop. It's especially important in a pic like this that doesn't really have a background and is meant to just show off the character design.

Here's a really old line piece I did to show you what I mean about the tapering from the knee to the calf muscle.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited by chevy28360; July 17th, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: incorrect img post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Chevy Not to invalidate the rest of what you said Chevy but the way you did the character legs in that line art is definitely incorrect(no understructure) and one of the legs have a really weird rotation..

@Lane: With that said I do agree that in Lane's the calf muscle on the closest leg should not act like that, Not sure why you blocked that muscle like that because even when its compressed, the center of the calf muscle's mass is never so close to the joint.

Next: The Thigh on the leg further away seems to bulky relative to the rest of the figure and joint's fold looks incorrect when you consider the way the lower leg is rotated, look at it again.

The deltoid muscle on the arm facing us seems too inflated and jumping way up

Not crazy about the silicon boobs and the waist that is so small but I guess that is what goes in LA nowadays

For the rest it looks kind of cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you guys. I'll get back to work on it straight away.

The darker colors was for a bottom layer that I would have painted over to bring the lights back up.

I'll sort out some reference poses for the knees.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.