Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: stroan's sketchbook

Thanks

stroan's sketchbook

Hi all. I've been reading CA and doodling for a good while. I've taken to drawing / painting more seriously of late and finally felt not too embarrassed to start a sketchbook. Criticism is more than welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stroan; June 12th, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Changing prefix in light of nudes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sorry for the bump, moving the contents of the first post into a second post because I just realized that the attachment on the first post is used for the sketchbook icon.

Attachment 1512516

My first painted piece that I spent a few hours on and was happy at the far end. It's taken me a long time to realize that progression in art isn't something based on just keeping on doing quick sketches until your quick sketches look like finished pieces. I'm learning now to grow a balance in my practice, doing some longer painted pieces in Sketchbook Pro and drawing practice and studies with pencil and paper. Also I really enjoyed using colour, which is something I've found very difficult so far.

Attachment 1512517

Whenever I'd painted previously I'd always relied on my line art to give the piece definition. After the success of the previous piece I wanted to see if I could paint a portrait, and not rely on lines. I was quite happy with this too. I didn't give it as much time as the previous one.

I'm looking forward to posting more here soon, and finally being able to reply to other sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Managed to get some time to get in a study this evening. I used a B pencil throughout this. I should really have switched to a softer pencil towards the end.

Attachment 1512983

Thanks
    Starting my Loomis practice Think it was coming together towards the last page.

Attachment 1513523 Attachment 1513525 Attachment 1513526

Attachment 1513527
    Last edited by stroan; July 6th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Nice job so far. And your right..that last Loomis head looks the best. Just keep on working, you will be awesome in no time. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More Loomis heads. Going to be doing these plates for a few more days I think before I move onto the next ones. Proportions are still quite off.

Attachment 1514231Attachment 1514232Attachment 1514233

Attachment 1514234Attachment 1514235

Thanks
    I got a good bit of time today to draw. I started the day off with some painting. I've come to the realization that I have no idea how to paint, at all. I don't know how to lay down colours or how what order to lay them down in. I tried a few landscapes and then a really unsuccessful portrait from imagination.

Attachment 1514749 Attachment 1514751

Attachment 1514752 Attachment 1514753

After how poorly the portrait went I spent a while working through more Loomis heads. I think I'm getting a better grasp of the structure and proportions. Features are still definitely a problem, but they're in the next chapter of the book.

Attachment 1514754 Attachment 1514756

Attachment 1514758 Attachment 1514760

I think I'm going to try to hunt down some very basic painting videos and try to follow them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to set myself on a better course for painting studies.

Thanks
    very cool studies. And also, a very good choice of study, Loomis is great, indeed. keep it up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mignon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey man, good start, i definitely encourage you to keep on doing these studies, it'll help you tons later down the road!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LePush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Didn't get much practice in today. I spent too long looking for tutorials and then for reference images. I only got a bit of actual practice in today. One was an eye from observation that I think turned out well enough, and the other was trying to follow a tutorial in a digital painting book I have. That one didn't go so well at all.

Attachment 1515393 Attachment 1515394

When I look at the other sketchbooks on here, I see how much can be done with a few confident strokes of solid colours. I scratch with the pen, which gives things an even more sloppy feeling when painting than when I do it with a pencil it seems.

I'm conscious of wanting to do concept art, from imagination, while also needing to work on drawing real things to build the tools that will allow imagination work. Following the tutorial for that building today showed me the value of working on composition and design. I was copying from a book, and yet I still managed to lose the feel and structure of the building.

I'm loving all this really. It's an absolutely thrilling feeling to have a growing set of things to work on and improve upon. Everything I get better at is accompanied by insight into other areas I'll need to work on.

Thanks
    Had a busy few days, but was able to spend this evening studying fortunately. Another batch of Loomis heads

I've been reading the forums and the advice seems to be don't focus too much on painting and digital media until you're able to render shape and value well enough with a pencil. So I think I'm going to spend more time doing long pencil studies which I've only really done once recently, in doing the skull above.

Attachment 1517453 Attachment 1517454 Attachment 1517455

Attachment 1517456 Attachment 1517457 Attachment 1517458

Thanks
    Loving the head studies! Loomis I presume? Ha ha. I am going though that book atm. Fantastic information.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Had another good day of drawing No studies, but I went through the weekly CA contests and tried my hand at some stuff from imagination. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Faerie masquerade ball:

Attachment 1518190

Museum exhibit about the robot uprising:

Attachment 1518191

Front line assault creature:

Attachment 1518192

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast