Is Wacom Bamboo Fun enough for Conept Art ?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is Wacom Bamboo Fun enough for Conept Art ?

I have a Medium sized Bamboo Fun (Pen and Touch) with 1024 levels of pressure on pen, However pen doesn't has tilt sensor.

I am trying to learn concept art mainly environments and characters. Is this tablet enough for me or should I get intuos ?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should get an intuos sometime, but as long as your bamboo is working finely, you'll be ok too.
    learn to draw and paint on paper/canvas, with real media.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi NajamQ,
    In my opinion, tilt doesn't add that much to functionality, and it is not very well implemented in much of the software used for drawing. I would suggest sticking with what you have and working on your drawing skills some more. In the end, a fancy tablet won't make up for a lack of ability. 1024 levels is perfectly fine to use, but a real pencil and paper is probably the best way to go when you are just beginning. Good luck.

Last edited by JavierP; July 7th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JavierP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JavierP View Post
    Hi NajamQ,
    In my opinion, tilt doesn't add that much to functionality, and it is not very well implemented in much of the software used for drawing. I would suggest sicking with what you have and working on your drawing skills some more. In the end, a fancy tablet won't make up for a lack of ability. 1024 levels is perfectly fine to use, but a real pencil and paper is probably the best way to go when you are just beginning. Good luck.
    both painter and photoshop currently have tilt implemented for "real media" kind of brushes by default.
    smaller packages may still not have it though, I don't know.
    it is not something crucial, especially for a concept-artist, however.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    both painter and photoshop currently have tilt implemented for "real media" kind of brushes by default.
    smaller packages may still not have it though, I don't know.
    it is not something crucial, especially for a concept-artist, however.
    Yes, I am aware of this, but for me, they do not behave or respond in a very intuitive way. It may be that I am too used to real media, and have a bias, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly I have been wondering, too. I have a small Bamboo Fun, and a big Trust. The Trust is great, but the Bamboo produces a lot of crap to be blunt. Often the pen forgets it was pressure-sensitive and I waste a line on a fat blob, and all in all my stuff doesn't turn out as neatly as it does with the Trust. Is it just me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! I have been learning on paper using traditional methods. Now that I am learning to use the tools (Photoshop / Sketchbook Pro) to shift my skills to digital media.

My question is ,however, does concept art or paintings require such tablets as intuos besides the handy controls on them, which can easily be mapped to keyboard.

Anyways thanks for clearing the point. I would use it till it breaks and get latest intuos when time comes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually spent some time utilizing the tilt feature - if set correctly its AMAZING, but unfortunately, its extremely buggy on cintiques and I eventually just gave up on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One problem with tilt on Wacoms is that it doesn't work like real pencils. You always, in the end, have to use the tip as the pressure sensor is triggered only by vertical pressure and this both makes the tilt range narrow (like 0-30 degrees. More is possible but unpractical) and reduces precision when you are the limit of that range (you can't exert much [needed] vertical pressure without having the stylus slide all over around).

When I upgraded to an Intuos4 M from a Bamboo M (in retrospect, a bad choice) I found it's the less useful Intuos-specific feature. Well, it might actually be useful in some cases but again as mentioned by others its implementation is usually not very good (not only due to the software, but also due to the way wacom tablets handle tilt at a hardware level - both physically and by the driver) and does not work as one would naturally expect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sold my bamboo fun and bought a used intuos3 not too long ago. The bamboo fun felt like great value for money, but I was honestly a bit disappointed by the pen sensitivity. It seemed like drawing with chalk instead of en pencil. The intuos3 feels more responsive in this sense, but I haven't used it that much yet.
    Personally I don't really see the purpose of the tilt functionality, it seems like it doesn't add that much. In the end what JavierP says is true, if you're a beginner the bamboo fun is probably good enough. You're probably best off using it until it becomes the limiting factor in your artistic growth.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DanijelC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some digging on this topic and pretty amazed to see the art made on old Graphire tablets. More important is the fact that most of the industry professionals used Graphire or even early releases of Intuos to make more than amazing art around 2000 to 2006.

Only thing which bothers me is the thickness of the pen on Bamboo Tablet. It doesn't feel right. The grooves on intuos pen makes it feel more realistic. I am not sure why Wacom didn't gave it a thought on a $300 product.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, i've been wondering this, too!
    i think it depends because right now i use a tiiiny bamboo fun that's been really reliable but i've had it in my house for so long, i'll have to let it outta commission soon.. i bought it when i was 11 ;p i'm saving for an intuos right now-- either that, or one of the newer bamboo tablets.
    but uhhh if you're in the deviantArt age like me it's probably enough

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.