Queen of Hearts crits please!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi there this is still in the fairly early stages. One particular comment I've gotten from a friend are the hands are too big. I'm thinking the curve on the upper part of the hand that's holding the dagger needs to be straightened, and on the other hand where the index finger meets the thumb should have a slight inward point at the very corner. I'm sure there's some general discrepancies as far as the face and anatomy as well and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

The hair and dress/cloth are going to be kind of a throw back to the bicycle cards style of almost surrealism so I'm leaving them flat for now, also considering changing the upside down queen to a skeleton. For some perspective, this piece is just something I'm doing for fun, and possibly as the start of a portfolio intended for me going into a tattoo apprenticeship (if I ever decide to take that path).

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr.Badguy; July 2nd, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really getting Queen of hearts out of her character but like the pose.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The hair looks really inappropriate to the rest of the character, and the crown looks really flat on top of her head. You can't force these things to mesh together.

I also think that the flat clothing is amazingly boring (and just as jarring as her hair). Detail would be good, but I think you should maybe try to give her something with pizazz. She is of the highest royalty, after all. I don't think the jewelry is enough to show her status when she's wearing such a plain...I don't know what you call the thing she's wearing.

I think the hands are fine, size-wise, but the thumb looks a little small.

...Wow, I just noticed the date you joined the forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've been here a long time but I really don't do as much finished artwork as I'd like to do.

The dress or whatever is plain now, but once I get the composition and the proportions right I'll add a pattern similar to the traditional bicycle style playing cards. I'm also going to add an illuminated Q with a heart integrated into it in the large blank squares, and maybe illuminate the borders to go with it.
    And again the hair is kind of the same deal, Im going to color the lines blue to be a play on that old style. My idea was to have this beautiful woman trapped in a sort of surreal world and she just cant take it anymore. Its a very loose concept I know, and I'm probably not pulling it off very well lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The thing about the hair is that on the actual cards, it fits with the intentionally flat style. What you have gives way too many cues of legitimate form and depth for the hair to work with it.

And I don't see anyone who looks trapped. She looks a little bored.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.