a pair of WIP's
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: a pair of WIP's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a pair of WIP's

So here they are. Hope I get some form of crits. I've been working on these quite a bit for the past week and I'm reaching a kind of slow point where not much is changing and I feel like I've had my eyes on it for too long so if anything is terribly wrong with it I can't see it anymore lol. I'm determined to finish these piece and I haven't really shown it to anyone so I'm itching for any kind of feed back. I'm trying to explore pushing realism mixed with more stylized type work if that helps with anything.

thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that will really help things pop out more and give a better contrast is you need to remember to always keep the darkest darks and lightest lights in your pictures. Not only that but you need a balanced equal amount.

They look good, but its hard to see anything how you seem to like to work fairly dark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, in the first piece, both the curvature of the head and arc of the spear-tail follow the same lines as the ribbed walls directly behind it, and because of the lack of contrast lighting, it's hard to differentiate what's the creature and what's the environment. Is the 4-fingered claw on top of the skull pile part of the creature or something it's perched on?

As for the character, I really can't comment much on anatomy, since it's a relaxed cartoon style, but you may need to re-align those vest buttons, right now they appear more aesthetic and less functional. That is, the edges of the breast pieces are symmetrical, there is no visual overlap, and the they come together in the center as if a zipper is used. Unlike this, notice the overlap, how the edge is not centered, but the buttons are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! I've been struggling with getting my monitors calibrated so that might explain the dark issues. I never noticed the vest problem till now or the tail not reading so that helps a lot. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I look forward to seeing the first image with higher contrast. It looks like this creature is growing people in the ground like they're turnips. Love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreeing with Artfix on this. Your first image has promise, but it's muddy enough that I can barely make out what's happening. I'd recommend putting in some bolder highlights to give the scene some visible form.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright here's an update of the first image. I'm noticing i'm still having that problem with the background and tail sharing the same line but I've got a plan to fix it. I know not much has been done however I did remove the mechanical claw and instead threw in some craggy rocks. I think the main thing I'm going to struggle with is getting the image to read. I want it to be dark and I don't want everything to be fleshed out in there own neat little shapes. I want it to read first as piece about an alien and then i want the second read to be what he's doing and from there create interest with all of the things going on in the piece. the pitch black water, decomposing faces, strange wet veins growing from the rocks in the cave.

Also getting my monitors calibrated has been tricky. My cintiq's screen is both more dim and slightly warmer than my other two screens which are a 2412M and then a macbook screen. Does anyone know of any software that can just standardize all of it?

thanks for the feed back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your going for a dark atmosphere, you can do several things.

Strengthen the light coming in the cave in the background then you can use that to illuminate things.

But basically you are going to have to make the creature even darker then it already is and somehow maintain readability. The creature is so close to the foreground to the point that it makes no sense to keep it lighter then things it is since things typically get lighter the farther back they are in a light source like this.

use the game "Limbo" for artistic inspiration and ideas. As they have a very very nice dark atmosphere going on. The foreground is pretty much pitch black. Thats what i thought about the instant you described what you were going for.

you would just have to manipulate their concept on a dark atmosphere to your current liking and situation.

Or, simply share the same highlights the creature has with its surroundings. Then start tampering from there till you get what you like.

Here is my Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...93#post3491593

Life drawing & Still Life thread:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...97#post3498997

If you comment on my art and i am curious about your critique and want to learn more. I will ask you questions bluntly and directly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. I know I don't want him to be a total silhouette like the characters in Limbo however I will keep that in mind when working on the back ground. I think If i can manipulate the lighting a bit more i can get what I want. I really don't want to lose the aliens face. I appreciate the feedback a whole lot. This is my first time posting really on CA and I'm really glad you're helping me along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly i think you should take the advice i give you lightly and such. I'm not an expert, Anyway Here is a photo with a somewhat similiar light source of myself. It's ALOT lighter, and its not tunneled like yours is, but you can get a very very very general idea of how the light is being distributed since its in a simliar placement (from the back seeping in).

Pay close attention to how the light highlights my face and where the reflected light is coming from. Then notice the similair tones in the darker areas.

Edit: This isn't the perfect photo. There is a 2nd lightsource a very dim light on the ceiling. So mainly pay attention to the sharp highlights from the background, ill try to find a better photo and i will post here.

Last edited by PMMurphy; July 5th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Life drawing & Still Life thread:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...97#post3498997

If you comment on my art and i am curious about your critique and want to learn more. I will ask you questions bluntly and directly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a 2nd photo for reference a light source that is highly similair to what you want. Just coming from a different direction. I hope this is helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.