Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do you think about when you art?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    To the OP:
    Usually nothing. Except maybe the image I have in my mind I'm playing with.

May or may not be relevant. But.....
    I like all of Cleese's videos talking about creativity ever since a thread in the lounge.
    Makes sense of why at certain times and settings I get into a much easier state of mind when drawing compared to others.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TTKK View Post
    I read in "Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin that what separates pros from amateurs is what they think about during the creation process.
    For those of you who have not read this book, he states that pros actively control the process whereas amateurs lose themselves in it.
    From a technical standpoint, I think I can somewhat support that. If you're big on abstract work, sometimes you don't think about the process at all

An example he gives is people who play golf for recreation will play without any thought, because their aim is to relax/ decompress from work/life.
    But a pro golfer, such a Tiger Woods, can stop his golf club on the downswing if he feels any doubt about being able to perform correctly. I googled this, and apparently he has done it many times: when someone coughs in the audience, when he feels his back pulling unnaturally, etc.

Same with pro runners who control their breath and pace while everyone else is just hoping for the run to be over (true for me lol )
    From a technique standpoint I can agree with this. Professionals can control their technique, and they usually know what the end result will be, or they have a good idea of what may happen. I have no doubt that Tiger Woods has a few things running through his mind as he plays, or that a runner can control their breathing, their stride, and even how their foot lands. It's all about technique.

For artists - you can feel when you're getting too tight with details, you can tell when your muscles are getting to a point where you're losing control, you can tell when your paint is too thick or thin, etc..

My question to you, what do you think about when you are creating? When your pencil/brush is on the paper is your brain running with a million thoughts or is it blank and you are letting instinct guide you?
    My general thought process involves getting the guidelines down, backing off and thinking about if the pose will work or not. Will the perspective help or hurt, how will this muscle look, does it look like the person is sinking into the ground, etc. Then fine tune. Work loose to tight, big to small. Also, I usually think about the task at hand, and sometimes I think about the artists who have influenced my desire to do art, sometimes my style (i try to emulate Todd McFarland sometimes and I fail miserably).
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    I go into my own little world when I paint. I'm thinking what brush I want to use and what colors. It's not really the greatest answer but it's honest.

Thanks
    "this isn't perfect or professional enough."
    "needs more details and textures."
    "I suck at art."
    "Try Harder."
    "look at matt khor and feng zhu videos."
    "give up."
    "shut up me!"
    "draw in the sketchbook."
    and etc

long story short thinking too much while drawing can ruin your composition and focus

Thanks
    I'm surprised nobody said, "sex"!
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    I put a ton of pressure on myself and think entirely too much, so I like to have a few beers, blast some good psychedelic rock, and just try to listen to what the work demands from me.. I'm pretty weird about my art.
    Those who have something to fall back on -- always do.

Thanks
    I disagree with the thought that only the pros have control of what their doing. I mean sure if you're painting a five foot tall portrait of the Queen of England yes you need to know what you're doing! But as my favorite artist Tom Kidd wrote in his book Other Worlds , and I think this applies especially to the concept art business, don't be afraid to just let the paint fly, mistakes may lead to a discovery. Let's be honest here, we're using our imaginations to create works of art, not playing pro golf.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.