Art: Kayness' portfolio for review

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Kayness' portfolio for review

Hello there,

First of all - thank you so much for taking the time to view and thanks in advance for those who will take the time to critique.

My name is Kay and I have been working as a freelance digital illustrator for a year now. My biggest strengths are portrait, characters and colours while I am looking to improve on dynamism, movement and perspective. I would also like to learn to draw scenes from more dynamic angles and environment in general.

I am looking for input on the things that will allow me to reach my goals above and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Kay,

I see you have the dedication and foundation to be great. I like your smooth rendering. Now about the images...

But first let me say I know nothing about childrens' art. If its supposed to be over-the-top bright colors with little depth then ok, do what gets you paid.

I really like the first one. It lacks a couple things in my view and those are consistent lighting, and depth. The mushrooms are just as bright in the distance as in the foreground. There's also no light source hitting them. I also can't tell if the bunnies are alive or not which seems like a problem for the narrative.

The second image has even less sense of depth. Everything is high contrast and super bright.

Third image is cool but the woman's perspective is pretty far-off. We should see the top of her head and little to none of her face. My main complaint tho is that the narrative is a total mystery. Why is she sitting there and what the hell is that guy doing with the fabric--trying to kill her?

Next image is confusing too. Why is he holding the shotgun like that? What is he looking at? if he's looking for that bunny, why can't he see him right under his nose?

The portrait is cool.

The elephant story is actually clear I think. The elephant is trying to woo this bunny and she's like YUCK! Its good. But I like your smooth painted rendering better than the lines. But this style is good too.

The pinups are good but the faces could be more ideal. This is nitpicky but they're not actually THAT beautiful lol. The first one looks like she had injections in her cheeks. The secone one--not sure...just one of those things.

Ok there's my crit!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello Kayness,

As Artfix is saying there are issues in your paintings and as you're saying too those issues are perspective and depth.

The fact is that with bright colors it's a little bit more tricky to adjust depth because you must contrast them with some very dark. In you case what you lack is a greyscale (cause values are perceived in gray) and what i mean by that is that between your shiny colors and the darks your world must be filled with lots and lots of variation of brightness.

About perspective and camera angle is relatively simple, learn perspective at 100% and then you can take whatever movie you like, make a snapshot and reconstruct the perspective and the camera angle as an exercise. Doing that will show you what camera angles are the most common in the cinema industry and why and of course you can adapt those rules for your paintings. Nothing special.

I think you should put yourself into anatomy anyway cause in illustration you need to know proportions and shapes of a human body by perfection, it's really easy to spot this issue as a weakness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks all for your feedback sof ar!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.