so far

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

so far

besides being static and trite what do you guys think........
    Name:  elf629753.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  450.9 KB
    W.I.P.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    williams I love that you used the word trite for your own image lol. I happen to like trite tho. Nothing wrong with tried and true.

Ok now I want you to sit down because I want to be harsh enough for you to hear me here. This is not a good drawing. You are not ready to be painting these digitally--its a waste of time. You need to be able to draw this properly before you bother even putting values on it with ink or pencil--much less a program. Draw, draw, draw more. Get reference and practice anatomy and line quality with pencils or charcoal. Then, when you've drawn something good, I would try putting ink on it so u really learn what thick/thin line control means.

THEN, try some digital.

Now, what will decide your fate is what you decide to do with this critique and future crits. Will you be humble and hardworking, or obstinate and lazy?

I wish you luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis's "Successful Drawing", a ream of printer paper, a box of HB pencils, get grinding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Knowing me I will probably be option B. (obstinate and lazy)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by williams73 View Post
    like your honesty. You can 'grind' away learning how to draw and make a painted image here and there to keep things fun.

I am taking my art more seriously now, I'm doing a lot more studies, and I see vast improvements, which is great, however, if I can't art for 'fun' here and there, I'd go nuts!

- Kazu

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by williams73 View Post
    So can I ask what was the point of posting this here then, if you're not willing to do work?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sometimes sarcasm doesn't come through on the typed word like it should.......
    but this wasn't about the drawing I was exploring a painting style I just sketched something quick to explore painting.....I'm working on a more refined piece will post when done....this piece was more about laying down colors and defining a shape to those colors....this is at best a quick color sketch I just wanted some gut reaction to it......and I got what I wanted........that without a solid structure/base people could care less what color it is.....so thank you all for your time.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) The big bold black outline isn't helping. I find a black outline usually only hurts color work because it tends to flatten it out. Using black in general isn't a "cardinal sin" if you do it right though.

2) Pose is static because the body lacks contrapposto (spelling??). Have either the left hip or the right help elevated above the other hip. Now LOWER the corresponding shoulder . (Raise left hip, lower left shoulder; Raise right hip, lower right shoulder). This will add some movement. Adding to the "static" feel is the arms - one just pointing straight down? Well, when arms hang at the sides, it's not a straight downward fall - the upper arms angle away slightly, and the forearms angle away a little more (when palms facing the same direction as the person is looking), and the forearms fall closer to the body when the palms are prone. Not sure if this is the type of answer your looking for, but thought I'd add it.

3) The face has no planes defined. (also, profile lips and nose with a "close to 3/4's" view of the head = a boo boo).

Otherwise, I think you have a solid foundation, it's just minor errors that are adding up to something more substantial.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

on the flip side

so this is the work so far.......
    Name:  colorpass1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  324.4 KB
    trying to apply some of my experimental color to more solid base.......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The color still looks bad because you haven't taken the time to do a clean, well put together line drawing. You're trying to rush it. No amount of coloring will result in a good image when your base looks like that. The cape, the arms and the head from the neck up need to be erased and restarted from scratch.

If you are solely interested in coloring, I'd suggest downloading line-art and playing around with that. There are many websites that have examples of line-art to download. The advantage of doing this, while it may not be improving your sketching ability, is that it will help to push your coloring ability as you won't need to spend time trying to draw out a dynamic figure. Jumping right into color may also help fire up your artistic juices and inspire you to do some serious line-art studies that you will be able to use later on when you've honed your coloring.

You can even go on Google and look up something like "Batman Line Art" and find tons of examples you can practice with.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the other fellas trying to give williams some options for finding line art and having fun, but dang, that is like...man no one will respect you. You will never improve...I would hate to see you do that.

So...I will repeat what I said which is just as true for this second image...

williams I love that you used the word trite for your own image lol. I happen to like trite tho. Nothing wrong with tried and true.

Ok now I want you to sit down because I want to be harsh enough for you to hear me here. This is not a good drawing. You are not ready to be painting these digitally--its a waste of time. You need to be able to draw this properly before you bother even putting values on it with ink or pencil--much less a program. Draw, draw, draw more. Get reference and practice anatomy and line quality with pencils or charcoal. Then, when you've drawn something good, I would try putting ink on it so u really learn what thick/thin line control means.

THEN, try some digital.

Now, what will decide your fate is what you decide to do with this critique and future crits. Will you be humble and hardworking, or obstinate and lazy?

I wish you luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Look... these fine ladies look like men with boobs and fake rubber lips. You can experiment with colour for the next two years but at the end of it people are still going to take a look at this and think "well that's a nicely-coloured cross-dresser. Too bad someone punched him in the lips." Unless this is the effect you're going for, work on faces and then the overall body anatomy of female-type people.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.