"If all the other humans died, would you still draw?" - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "If all the other humans died, would you still draw?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for answering. Things are making a bit more sense to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Okay.

Drawing is only one form of creatively "expressing" (I hate to use the word in that fashion because it's not meant as other have used it) the thoughts and drive that I have. If no one was left in society, I'd probably be drawing, painting, sculpting, building structures, mostly anything that takes one the ability to solve a problem, but a creative fashion.

I like solving problems in a creative way. Keys my mind up and brings me pleasure.
    Well thanks for not just leaving "this" to others... thinking more about it, this is probably the closest to some of my own reasons for drawing. I've gone long periods without drawing, but I've been creative problem solving for as long as I can remember. Art is good for that because there are always new problems.
    I get bored easily as soon as something is no longer a challenge or there is nothing new to learn.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good question, and I personally find it hard to answer.

When I got into manga at the beginning of the millenium, I decided I wanted to become a pro. I tried mainstream styles and tropes and "special" scenes or characters, and to harvest popularity that way. My massive amount of fanart even earned me that for a couple of years.
    I worked commissions, and kept working hard to improve and even sent my work in to publishing houses. Back then, I thought I was good; looking back, I sucked. Regardless, at some point I felt burnt out. Empty and tired. Sucked dry in my quest to increase popularity and exposure and maybe some money here and there. I was no longer sure if I was drawing what I wanted, or what I expected others to want.

The French cartoon U nudged me into a different direction. The style was messy, the characters random, but it was still narratively decent and visually appealing. I realized this is what I wanted to do: Express myself and tell stories without being bound by conventions and popularity. Do what pleases me, and what moves me, to hell with conventions. I realized that if I was going to enjoy drawing like I did before the whole anime fad, it had to be all about ME. This was one of my big steps in that direction: http://fav.me/d3gvd86 - so what if a scarf for arms didn't make sense. He needed a scarf, the scarf could do the arms' job, so why go through the trouble of adding arms? That was my new reasoning and I am still in love with it.
    Of course I still do fanart and commissions, but only if I truly like it or feel like working for someone else.

So to me, the ME is more important than the audience. I am an attention for my art, and I love exposure and provocation, but still, if I don't "feel it", I no longer draw it. I do hope I can still sustain an audience for my work, but if not, well, their loss.
    I can find a perfectly good job outside of my happy place (art). I don't want the obligations and constraints of a professional life contaminating/soiling my happy place. I respect and admire artists who do what they enjoy and make a good living for themselves, but it's not for me. I was always an odd one, and I enjoy odd art, or at least "non-mainstreamable" stuff. IDF fanart, or surreal depictions of my lovelife are my thing but Disney couldn't sell it. I just no longer enjoy mainstream content. And that's usually what sells.

As for the question in the title, of course I would. How else am I gonna kill time until I die, too? Though the lack of an audience to show it off to, kinda sucks...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Come on! In what world am I the last surivivor?!
    Earth 2.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it weird that I've thought about this before. I came to the conclusion that yes I could.

As much as It haunts me now and constantly reminds me that I'm not good enough for it, it is still the most personal and important thing in my life. Which just makes me sadder.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Um,

If all the other humans died. . .

I'd probably be lookin' for some vigorous necro-time with the better lookin' ones before they got too rank. . .

just sayin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing for me is story telling, communicating ideas visually to others. So no I wouldn't draw because art to me is very communal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'd be more freaked out or concerned that I'm the last human on earth than have my mind on drawing, really.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chronos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Won't know until it happens...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    id like to be tucked up in a nice comfy grave

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'd take up sculpture, if you know what I mean.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you crazy? Of course, imagine the still lives you could set up, plus there is nobody to look over your shoulder, etc. I would also make all kinds of cool sculptures out of everything, and do all kinds of stencil work on buildings, it would be like an art kingdom. I guess this question shows me how much I really do love it, I got all excited thinking about it haha. But I'm sure I would eventually get tired of being lonely... Or I would study up on how to build robots and make my own friends. Gettin' a bit carried away with this question...

-Alex Lee Davis

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think people draw and paint for deep seated psychological reasons that won't go away just because the remainder of the human race is extinct. For those who desire to communicate or be admired, I suspect that, in the absence of of other people, they would simply continue drawing in the hope that another human being or alien intelligence would someday stumble upon their work. (After all, the odds would not be much worse than getting in a gallery now lol) For those who do it simply for personal gratification, there would be no reason to stop, and a lot more time to kill.

Either way, when alien xenoarcheologists dig up the place thousands of years later, they will certainly be amazed by the historical record that our race of naked, large-breasted women left behind after they were wiped out by giant mechs and dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw because I don't want to end up one of those people who work a 9 to 5, come home, watch TV, go to bed, and then get up to work again until I die. If I keep drawing, I have something else in my life, something to leave behind, and which shows that I'm progressing and not just stagnating. If it wasn't art, it'd be music, or writing, or dance, or some skill that I can do for the sake of it. It's just satisfying to be good at something, and to do some practice that's better than what you did yesterday.

In a way, it is sort of based on the social aspect. I mean, it feels good when people are impressed by something you do and you're not just some schmuck. I'm not at that level where people would actually be impressed by my art, but why not take enjoyment from it? As long as it's not the only reason... though if someone's motivation is based solely on others' approval, they probably won't make it very far.

If I were the last human on earth then sure, I'd still draw, because there'd be nothing better to do besides find a way to feed myself. Maybe I could do paintings of what the apocalypse was like for alien races to find after I die so they know what happened.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've thought about this before, but in more of the context of being stranded on a island somewhere instead of being the last human on Earth. Either way though, it's down to whether you would draw without anyone to see your drawings. Of course. For me, I see art as more than a career, or a hobby, I see it as a quest, something that will take my entire life to get good at. And that's my main reason as to why I enjoy it so much; that no matter what else happens in my life, I will continue to create art, and I'll get better and better at doing it.

I don't think it's about what the finished result looks like or what people will think of it, because ultimately it's just another rung in the ladder, helping you to get better. On the island scenario, I would be perfectly content to draw in the sand with a stick. Yes, it'd be gone when the tide comes in, and yes, no-one will ever see it, but who cares? I would see it, and learn from it, and the next day I would get to create something new, and something better.

While I post my work here and elsewhere regularly, and at the moment daily, with everything from doodles to finished pieces, I still find time to do my own little doodles and sketches, drawings that I'll never show to anyone, because they give me some freedom to do what I want, away from all the pressure of trying to make it good enough to post. And ultimately, these are the drawings I enjoy most, and a lot of the time end up being some of my best work, and so eventually get posted. So yes, I would continue to create if I was the last man on Earth, and if anything I would create more, and on a larger scale. Carve statues out of the mountains, paint on the side of skyscrapers. Because it's more than needing to get a pat on the back from other artists, or to get good enough for your next piece, it's about the urge to create, and to shape the world around you.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    If all the other humans died, would you still draw?
    Yes.

Is the social factor of creating artwork a necessary part of that expression for you?
    No.

Sex? Thats a different animal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On one hand, I think I would be more likely to draw if there were no other people. The idea of drawing and having my work, thoughts and mistakes potentially be viewed by others is really terrifying. Even though I enjoy drawing, all of these other factors weigh on me to the point where I can spend an entire day or week completely comatose, because I'm too anxious about making mistakes. Yeah, I have issues.

On the other hand, it's even more likely that rather than draw, I'd commit suicide due to the madness brought on by prolonged social isolation. There have been studies done on the effects of it, and it's really no joke.

But if someone would come up to me and tell me that no one will ever be able to see any of my art under any circumstances, I think I would enjoy it more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    Sex? Thats a different animal.

It would have to be.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly ESS View Post
    It would have to be.
    "If all the other humans died, would you still draw?"

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

26. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ever since I read "How to Be Good Enough At Art to Get Laid" and started learning I have thought about this problem! And if I was the last person, yeah, Nooooo way I would draw, anything.

I would probably take up music, you know, calms the wild life.

...anyway...

Yeah, we all know those kids who pull out their sketchbooks for quick compliments from people who have no idea what they are really looking at.

I don't worry about them and I just try to keep going. Eventually, people do get tiered of them and their crap and they ignore them.

Besides, I'm sure that a lot more people who are way more dedicated to this than I am already live like they are the last person on the planet...so..there is that.

“If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not you’ll find an excuse.”

Don't make the things that aren't important out to be important to you and all is fine.

To be honest, for me it isn't all that important. I like getting better at my 2d art, but that it the most pleasure I get out of it.

Last edited by Koudee; July 16th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Sketchbook!
    Looking for mentor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man if I were the last person on Earth I would HAVE to draw. I mean, once all the survival stuff was taken care of. Doing something creative would be the only way to keep sane. And possibly tracking down a parrot and teaching it to converse.

It would probably be a lot easier to draw freely. I wouldn't have that nagging voice in the back of my head saying, "If this isn't good enough to make money, you fail as an adult." XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man if I were the last person on Earth I would HAVE to draw. I mean, once all the survival stuff was taken care of. Doing something creative would be the only way to keep sane. And possibly tracking down a parrot and teaching it to converse.

It would probably be a lot easier to draw freely. I wouldn't have that nagging voice in the back of my head saying, "If this isn't good enough to make money, you fail as an adult." XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would there be zombies involved?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly ESS View Post
    It would have to be.
    Absolutely.

In that instance I'd probably give my kingdom for a horse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is funny in relation to my quote, but I have to draw to get out what is in my head, if noone was around, it would be like laughing alone. I doubt I would make a study of it, I might draw, to Jornalize or record thoughts, for later, but as long as the quality worked to convey my message to myself, that would be all that was important.
    the secound part, I play guitar because I like music, I would probably work on that more, because as it is my music is not that great, but I do it alone and never plane on being good enough for others, LOL. I like music. I draw because I have to convey my thoughts, without anyone else around I doubt I would get it out of my head, because I can see it more clearly there, and since putting it down for me is so others can see whats in there, it would seam pointless... except to remeber things, like dont eat these berries they will keep you up all night.

Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a more reasonable question would be 'would you still draw if you had a billion dollars'?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spam.

Last edited by Black Spot; July 18th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I think a more reasonable question would be 'would you still draw if you had a billion dollars'?
    It's all I would do. In my mansion.

- Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

Naw that one is easy. People don't start drawing because they're making it their career and most people it's their hobby.

If I had no money worries (which I almost did at once point but sadly had some bad luck and it didn't pan out) I'd draw more than ever. I'd draw my own stuff and fill a big room with all my shit. I'd publish my own comic. All sorts of fun stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.