Art: Derrah's Portfolio (please critique)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Derrah's Portfolio (please critique)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Derrah's Portfolio (please critique)

Hello, I'm a recent graduate with a BA in Animation, but I'm definitely more of a layout painter/story board artist. Here's a link to my portfolio blog (I'm currently uploading samples to my gallery - but my connection is lagging). Any feedback as to what I should improve, whats missing or what I should focus on/flesh out would be very helpful. Thanks all! Most of the work was created in photoshop, some of my newer stuff is using Matias' brushes (thanks for those, pure lifesaver - this man deserves all the monies).

Here is the link: http://www.derrah.blogspot.ca/

I'll update a gallery link when I'm finished uploading some work there.
    Thank you kindly

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait here are some samples:

(these are all from the last few weeks)

(WIP)

These are from the last year:

There are plenty more of my blog as well!

Last edited by derrah; June 29th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added rough dates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your more powerful pieces are the landscapes

My nitpicks are the proportions of your anatomy on the two last pieces:
    the girl's arm seem slightly off

The guy's chest needs to be ultra wide for his shoulder joints to pop out of that mech construct in the last piece+ if that is the case his arms and figure must be too short so not sure what to make of it.

Another thing that seems strange to me about the last piece is the concept's weight distribution: A metal rig like that must weigh on a person(forgive me for the assumption but the red communist star suggests that he is not an alien and the tech suggests you were aiming at science fiction) and it is not very believable that his back and abdomen alone can support that kind of weight.
    The only way it makes sense to me is if he was in a low gravity environment but then his pose seems too grounded for that...

You have really good rendering skills and sense for lighting but I recommend you examine the way you draw anatomy in all of your pieces. (Coppers ) because baggy clothing and block armor won't really save you there.

For The rest try to diversify and show something more unusual concept-wise: most of us who played games already seen counterstrike dudes and black leather gun totting hotties all over the place. Maybe also try to explore other subject because as a concept artist or illustrator you will have to draw various things and it won't be always Sci-fi settings mechs, cops, soldiers and cyborgs ...

Last edited by LightandDark; June 30th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last piece sets off a red light. There is allot of cool stuff going on up top but there is nothing for his legs to support all of that weight. His legs would certainly break without any support.

A general problem I'm seeing is in the action poses. The foreshortening, movement and body language are all hurting. I think you should spend more time on nailing down the gestures and proportions before you move on to the intensive rendering. Take your time and get those first steps right. It will give all of those details you have a talent for more impact.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Thanks very much guys. I've always struggled with proportions, especially when drawing from life (real models in a studio), I don't know why, but it's always been an issue. From gesture and weight distribution to fine tuning the proportions. I've always been more "render" focused. I know I have to improve those aspects, but it's motivating to hear it from others such as yourselves.

One note on the Cosmonaut guy, that was just intended to be a costume design, for modelling or reference, but I agree that I should have presented him in a weightless environment to communicate the idea better. I'll definitely keep this in mind next time. Also, those 4 Modern Warfare looking guys, those were just modeling swatches as well, but once again, they do not communicate attitude or personality at all. So I will avoid those straight-on views next time.

As for the army/copper dudes, yes, they are derivative, but I just love painting that stuff. It's my weakness! Definitely time to move on though, so I'll get some more realistic/naturalistic stuff done and post here.

Would you guys like to see more "bizarre" or creative designs? I would like to go in that direction, but I'm trying to get a studio job, I really don't know if I should go for "weird originality" or "mainstream". Kind of stuck on what I should go for. Any advice once again, would be very helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 1