Scrub's perspective question

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Scrub's perspective question

When drawing in perspective, I've started doing some thinking, and I'm hoping my theory is corroborated!

With 2- and 3- point perspective, will all subjects be situated between the 2 or 3 vanishing points?

I ask because I've been practicing my cubes in perspective. For whatever reason, I plopped two VPs onto my horizon line, occupying about the left 2/3s of the page and drew a couple [cubes]. Once I had 2 of the little buggers and a sad ellipse, I looked at the other side of the page, void of cubes or ellipses! As I drew the formost edge for yet another cube, I stopped -- can I draw a cube here? The same rules don't seem to apply.

If this is too confusing (admittedly, I kinda confused myself here), just ask and I'll try to give the best clarification.

Many thanks!

MY SKETCHBOOK OF CRAPTASTIC CIRCLES
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    I think it's time to stop floundering around by yourself and get a decent perspective book.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do you have a personal favorite?

I've definately been thinking about that this morning. I'll poke around the reading lists here. On a side note, I've tried going through the handprint article, but It's extremely technical; Perhaps I'll save it for when I have a better working understanding.

"Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMumm View Post
    When drawing in perspective, I've started doing some thinking, and I'm hoping my theory is corroborated!

With 2- and 3- point perspective, will all subjects be situated between the 2 or 3 vanishing points?
    Not necessarily. If you are standing on a crossing and looking along one road, in exactly the same direction as the road, you will have traditional 1-point perspective. That is not what you were asking.

Now, turn your head by a few degrees horizontally. As a result, you will get 2-point perspective, with the road vanishing into a point slightly off centre, and the perpendicular road vanishing into a point which is far away to the side. Now, about half of the world is not between your two vanishing points...

Thanks
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MephistoLV View Post
    Yes, Perspective Made Easy is a really good place to start. Handprint is comprehensive, but super, super dense and technical, and the formatting makes it difficult to read. It's more like "perspective made complicated."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMumm View Post
    Do you have a personal favorite?

I've definately been thinking about that this morning. I'll poke around the reading lists here. On a side note, I've tried going through the handprint article, but It's extremely technical; Perhaps I'll save it for when I have a better working understanding.
    This site has a comprehensive look

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html

I like Rex Vicat Coles book Perspective for artists. Its a little dense but covers everything, some people say its confusing but I've never had a problem with it. The Norling book perspective made easy is a good easy to understand approach

Thanks
    Just placed an Amazon order for Perspective Made Easy. Excited to see it! Thanks, all!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.