I beg you, DESTROY ME

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I beg you, DESTROY ME

Hello, I'm doing many different things (one of the main problems) and one of them is the concept art for a wargame project, I'm not looking for some movie concept art perfection or anything, I just want to do something decent or even good.

There I leave a lot of non-reference pose studies, character designs, some maybe not very brilliant Photoshop attempts, etc.

The basic idea is something which looks more like classic fantasy, rather than warhammer or wow and the stuff, my influences for bodies are mainly CAPCOM and Frazetta.

Don't show any mercy, specially with my render and PS skills.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if I qualify for commenting as I have not posted my own stuff yet but here goes, take what seems right from this:

First off get a decent sketchbook with good paper, drawing on notebooks is fine if you are a student bored in class but otherwise no excuse.
    For the rest the line drawings seem OK, though it may help to look at poses in terms of silhouette to improve.

Next is the PS parts and compositions, The perspective in the one with the troll by the fire is wrong, I am sure of it, I suggest using perspective lines and trying to develop your 3d perception of anatomy when drawing because as it is now it makes both elements look very flat..

Lighting also seem to lack variance in most of these shots, the fire one is slightly better but in all others the lighting always seems to hit the character from all around without a coherent direction.
    (retcone: the last one also seems slightly better in that respect).
    I may be wrong but it looks like you are a beginner in that respect so here, grok this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The muscle shapes are cool, but since they are almost the same sice they make repetetive patterns. This is making your characters look flat. If you add some size variations to those muscles (maybe even base them more on some real world anatomy), it will give the characters more shape. also, making some variation in the lines between muscles so that they aren't all shaded equally hard will help.

Lastly, model your big shapes more than your small shapes. Right now. the individual muscles are receiving light individually and not as groups. The arm is a group of muscles and should recieve lights as such. I did a quick paintover to show you what I mean.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Obstfelder, just the small changes you did give me an idea about how was I loosing "overall" lighting.

About the line variations I guess you mean that I should not close every muscle outline as a single object, and leave more opening spaces.

The first page of the message in gonna took me some time to understand, since I'm not absolutely concious of what I'm doing and what you say seems quite depth.

An thanks LightandDark, very useful link.

I've tried to change the ogre picture a bit, I'm not sure about if it's an inmense improvement, but I'm trying to get the idea, and the result really show that, I guess...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanFumero View Post
    About the line variations I guess you mean that I should not close every muscle outline as a single object, and leave more opening spaces.
    Well almost, I meant that you should not have equally thick lines around the muscle. in the direction where the character is hit by light, it's a good Idea to use a thinner line. You can close off all the muscle forms if you like, just dont have a line of equal thickness around everything.

I know that your lines are not really of equal thickness, but since they are all very hard and scrawled over a lot, it is percieved as such. By me at least

Here is an attempt at a visual explenation:

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To build on Obstfelder's suggestions I did a quick paintover. The more things are turned towards the light, the lighter their shadows will be (I'm talking about the shadows that describe the form of the object, not the cast shadows) The more in darkness something is, the darker the shadows and lights will be. It's all about the turning of the form, and the larger forms that smaller forms are a part of. Take note of colour variation too, most types of skin get red around the hands and arms, most of the joins etc. Lastly, reflected light is important. Anything in shadow that's pointing towards the sky is going to get hit with sky colours (whatever that might be, usually blue) and whatever is pointing down is going to get his with ground colours (usually green, or warm yellows if outside) :

POgre.gif

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright Obstfelder, I will try a stronger emphasis on variations, the problem may come from the original idea, was not thinking on lighting, was thinking on fast sketches with a lot of lines and MAYBE some fast overpaint, but I end up overdoing the color and the lighting always, because I'm not confident to do a loose painting on it.

Jason Rainville, very inspiring shading, I'm absolutely going to look at your stuff, I can glimpse a great quality, I may try to overpaint it again. Btw, how you did it? PS? Painter? you have your brushes on normal or multiply?

Also, I'm learning some stuff and I'm going to do some nice (as much as I can) renders for the game, but I wonder if pushing on this sketchie ballpoint drawings so much in reder even matches the style, need an advice/opinion about that too.

Here I'm starting to do collages with studies, using old paper effect etc (again, I wonder if matches the style) I have sice problems with someones, they don't look right at full screen with standard full screen resolution (72) I don't know why this happen, most of them look cool anyway.

Also, I wonder if the horizontal format is better for this things, if the ink tone is too clear, if it's better to do this with more or less drawings...>_<

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The critique center is more for specific images, not a collection of all your work. That's more for a sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    The critique center is more for specific images, not a collection of all your work. That's more for a sketchbook thread.
    these characters all belong to the same project so I think it's in the right place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanFumero View Post
    Alright Obstfelder, I will try a stronger emphasis on variations, the problem may come from the original idea, was not thinking on lighting, was thinking on fast sketches with a lot of lines and MAYBE some fast overpaint, but I end up overdoing the color and the lighting always, because I'm not confident to do a loose painting on it.
    What you need to think about is what you want the drawings to be used for. It's ok to do fast linart if what you need is a fast way of generating Ideas, but when you want to make those ideas read better it's a good thing to refine the drawings a bit.

I'm guessing you might already have seen these, but Feng Zhus videos have some nice linart game character presentation ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMluM...9&feature=plcp

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if what Psycho sais is true, if it is, I take no offense for that, every topic has his own function, and I don't want to bother anyone.

Obstfelder, thanks again, very, very appreciated, anyway I'm gonna re-render that ogre again with Jason as a reference, just for trying, even if the drawing for the kind of line ends edited in B&W or something just as simple.

For the video, wow, I thought I was doing a lot of lines, seeying that...not only is very good, my technique seems dated, I even wonder if traditional concept art is still an option, there's so much the dude can do sketching that way, and so fast, and the color textures he added...well I don't even know where to start ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if you meant video-game or miniature war game by wargame project. But you have to understand that somethings just cannot be replicated by a 3-d artist. Maybe there is not problem with it, but I feel like your complex muscle structures could cause modelling issues. Otherwise I think it's pretty good, once you resolve the lighting problem. Lastly try drawing them from behind as well.
    -Good Luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jcate View Post
    I'm not sure if you meant video-game or miniature war game by wargame project. But you have to understand that somethings just cannot be replicated by a 3-d artist. Maybe there is not problem with it, but I feel like your complex muscle structures could cause modelling issues.
    Well, those could be helped by some modelling and working on more details by painted texture and bump maps.
    However I'd too take this into consideration, depending on what sort of game you're looking into.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 3