What if someone made an art social network - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Hello all

@BK

Wouldn't it be better to make something that encourages people to create rather than to bring fourth existing creations?

Example:
    Make a game that challenge users to create art under certain conditions (30 sec pose of a specific subject etc) the image created could be then used in a friendly competition or for feedback-based RPG progression.

On the Technical side could make use of HTML5 Canvas based Drawing apps.
    Because what is created is created and contained within the app it would be honest and would keep the experience positive instead of butchering people's life work.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    2. People get their friends to mass-vote on their submissions, so the person with the biggest pool of "friends" automatically outranks anyone with fewer friends, regardless of the quality of submissions... (Happens in popularity-vote contests ALL. THE. TIME. Even on the community activities here, I've seen people urge all their offsite FB and DA friends to come vote on their entries, and behold, those entries suddenly get a mysterious flood of votes...)
    I've seen a lot of good entries that don't get many/any votes. It is one of the reasons a lot of people do the challenges, but don't submit to the finals.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    B.K., face it, you Brilliant Idea™ ain't so brilliant, or at least that's the consensus here. But hey, don't let us stop you, if you manage to raise the venture capital that actually starting an enterprise like this would require, it takes off, and you become the Mark Zuckerberg of the online art world, boy howdy, won't we feel stupid.

Last edited by Elwell; June 28th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    it takes off, and you become the Mark Zuckerberg of the online art world, boy howdy, won't we feel stupid.
    Only about *puts thumb, index finger together* this stupid.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Only about *puts thumb, index finger together* this stupid.
    That's because it's only *puts thumb, index finger together* this likely.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This already exists. It's called Saatchi Online.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great feedback, thank you guys. It really does help. Because I have some funding and the resources to go to work making a tool for you guys, and this feedback is exactly what we need, great stuff, ty.

If I could develop any sort of social network for artists/photographers/illustrators/creative users/image sharing what would you have it do?

Last edited by B.K. Conn; June 29th, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    Hello all

@BK

Wouldn't it be better to make something that encourages people to create rather than to bring fourth existing creations?

Example:
    Make a game that challenge users to create art under certain conditions (30 sec pose of a specific subject etc) the image created could be then used in a friendly competition or for feedback-based RPG progression.

On the Technical side could make use of HTML5 Canvas based Drawing apps.
    Because what is created is created and contained within the app it would be honest and would keep the experience positive instead of butchering people's life work.
    This is some excellent feedback! very good brainstorming, we just might put these ideas to work. I must confess, I would love to put tools together that you guys would use creatively into our software, and you guys are giving us some fab feedback tyvm.

What if the social network connected you with new creative friends based on the images you voted for?

Or perhaps linked employers (who have a different account) with your profile because of the images they voted for led them to you?

Last edited by B.K. Conn; June 29th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I like how there is still no purpose to this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Pro tip, because I've seen too many web projects fail due to lack of focus...

Figure out WHY you are making this thing first. Then figure out what it needs to do.

What's your elevator pitch? See if you can finish this statement in as few words as possible: "I want to make a social network for artists because...."

Right now you seem to have only a vague idea that you want to make a social network for artists. Okay, WHY? There's a lot of social networks for artists already... What prompts you to make a new one? Is there something the other sites aren't doing that you see a need for? (Emphasis on "need". Producing random new gadgets that nobody needs or wants is a waste of time.) Is there a significant gap in the market that you want to fill? Something that nobody is currently doing very well that you want to do better? What?

Figure that out, and then you can start figuring out what it is your site needs to do.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Pro tip, because I've seen too many web projects fail due to lack of focus...

Figure out WHY you are making this thing first. Then figure out what it needs to do.

What's your elevator pitch? See if you can finish this statement in as few words as possible: "I want to make a social network for artists because...."

Right now you seem to have only a vague idea that you want to make a social network for artists. Okay, WHY? There's a lot of social networks for artists already... What prompts you to make a new one? Is there something the other sites aren't doing that you see a need for? (Emphasis on "need". Producing random new gadgets that nobody needs or wants is a waste of time.) Is there a significant gap in the market that you want to fill? Something that nobody is currently doing very well that you want to do better? What?

Figure that out, and then you can start figuring out what it is your site needs to do.
    This is very true. Our goal is to connect consumers to artists, and employers to artists, and artists to artists in a fun way that has a sense of play. We are asking the community what they would like to put into the build of our web app.

We have already taken LOADS away from this thread and appreciate every bit of creativity and input. TY!

We are considering having the (1 vs 1) rating for about 10 rounds and then suggesting to the user, the 10 artists whose work they clicked to follow them. So we can create new creative relationships for collaboration, consumer connections, and importantly connecting college users to other artists they align with in their area. So in short, the user goes through 10 of these pair-wise comparisons and the network then navigates them to the profiles of the artists they chose, everyone benefiting positively. And after they choose to follow those artists or not, they may continue playing with the comparisons, each time after 10 rounds, suggesting artists to follow.

Thoughts? : )

Last edited by B.K. Conn; June 29th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B.K. Conn View Post
    We are considering having the (1 vs 1) rating for about 10 rounds and then suggesting to the user, the 10 artists whose work they clicked to follow them. So we can create new creative relationships for collaboration, consumer connections, and importantly connecting college users to other artists they align with in their area. So in short, the user goes through 10 of these pair-wise comparisons and the network then navigates them to the profiles of the artists they chose, everyone benefiting positively. And after they choose to follow those artists or not, they may continue playing with the comparisons, each time after 10 rounds, suggesting artists to follow.
    What your suggesting is a feature for an already established community not something to build a site around. To get decent data mining result you would need a lot of users and works, and why would artists want to join your site as opposed to the already established ones? The your idea is for consumers of art, not artists; what does this community offer artists?

Also, art has immerse variability, so 10 pair comparisons is unlikely to capture a user preference, especially if you include a wide variety of work. What about niche artists, or people who have varied but very specific tastes? Would a comparison of a photo of a sunset against an abstract fractal really tell you that I like sumi-e watercolors?

The larger the content variability the more users you'll need to get good data-mining; unless you can get a huge, really huge, data set of users and content, what your trying to do won't work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    If connecting people is your ultimate goal, I really think you need to step away from this voting thing and brainstorm on other ideas for connecting people... Otherwise it seems like you're trying to force a square peg into a round hole. It sounds like someone came up with this voting gimmick, and you're trying to build a social site around it. A better approach would be to figure out what the social site needs to do, and what's the best way to accomplish that. If this voting gimmick doesn't do the job better than something else would, discard that gimmick and do something else.

Honestly, if I wanted to find artists, I'd want ways to search or browse directly for the kind of art I like. If I had to sit through some random voting process to find anything, I wouldn't bother. Throwing random art at people is an incredibly inefficient way to hook them up with the art they like.

And if I wanted people to find me, I'd want a way to allow people who are specifically interested in the type of work I do to find me directly through searching or browsing, without having to vote on a lot of other random art first.

And I'd want a direct way to find people who might be interested in my work. Without having to go through a random voting process.

A random art stream of some kind might be an okay minor feature to include on the side, but it shouldn't be the primary way to find art. Likewise, some kind of recommendation system can be helpful, (i.e., if you liked X, we recommend Y,) but again, it should be a feature that's subordinated to a system for directly finding the art you like.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    So what we got here is "Hot or Not" from like...what 10 years ago? With art.
    No thanks. There's not even anything social about it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    "Rate my Rack"....er, art.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B.K. Conn View Post
    But then why have the head-to-head comparisons at all? What if you like both of a pair, or neither? Or if you like the "worse" of one pair better than the "better" of another? If you're just going to have people follow the artists they like, why not show the images individually, or in a large group, and let them pick yes or no for each one? I can see if there was some sort of sophisticated recommendation algorithm, like Netflix's, it could be useful, but what you're describing is really primitive.

Last edited by Elwell; June 29th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    "Rate my Rack"....er, art.
    "Art or Not"

Although, as I wrote above, that model is actually more useful.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Most people already know what they like. When people like something they become very good at getting it. What the site would need to do is find a way to be useful. I would love for there to be a one stop social media nexus for artists that interfaced with facebook, tumblr, linkedin, and so on. It is very inconvenient to have to update everything separately. It could be useful if it could handel all of the major things that artists needs for building their individual brands.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    With Elwell's idea of it being useful somehow, I'm reminded of the giant thread where someone was trying to develop a "rating system" which would rate a piece on various fundamental principles of 2D art...then spit out a number. It was hotly debated but you may find some kernels of thought in there that might be of value. And no, I have no idea what the thread was now.

But tbh...what I would want to see in something like you're proposing is a site that went out and destroyed 9/10ths of the other social art sites....there are just way too many as it is.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    It would be disastrous.

Think about your audience, their personal tastes, feelings involved, etc.

it would end...badly.
    This.

Also - potential gold mine for Art Thieves IMO. I know there's ways around it, hence "POTENTIAL"..

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    "Art or Not"

Although, as I wrote above, that model is actually more useful.
    Yeah till it's all filled with sex drawings...

Thanks
    If you follow, the web app would suggest artists who the user clicked in the voting to follow, after every 10 rounds of image pairs. It seems that this would be useful to an artist/designer to at least try because it drives fresh eyes to your work if they click your images. Or perhaps not? I guess that is my main question, is it worthwhile to you? There is a notion of, more followers, more exposure to the world, larger art/design presence in the world, or as mentioned before perhaps designers wouldn't like this? Very interesting to discuss. : O

Thanks
    Very interesting, Thank you guys this feedback is really fab! You all have helped me alot

If you would like to comment and see the progress on a system we are working on that connects artists and creative users together by image preferences: http://www.digicrits.com

Here is our video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5lQ...layer_embedded briefly showing our testing versions of the product, your input is so important if you think we should make changes : D

Thanks again,

Last edited by B.K. Conn; July 2nd, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks
    "Connects artists and creative users together by image preferences" - I get the idea, but CA.org already allows users to link to Sketchbooks in our signatures, as well as subscribe to them, and choose what kind of notifications we want when folks reply to the same topics we've posted in. Point being CA.org already has a great reputation (one that I hope stays), great artists, and many folks who are willing to give advice to those honestly seeking it.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    The images you used as an example of what art would go head to head were completely different styles.
    I don't think the idea is a good one at all, a lot of the people using sites are fairly new to drawing/painting and learning, it's my opinion that the site would possibly make some people turn away from art because they have been rated badly.
    Personally I don't care how popular my paintings are online, I always have commissions to do and it is more important to me that those who have asked me to paint for them are happy with the end result.
    Oh and in case your wondering I've had trouble making a gallery on here that's why I don't have one. I do have one on da but rarely use that site.
    This site is my fave one I like to read the forums and look at peoples artwork.

Anyway good luck with your site if you make it but I won't be joining it.

Thanks
    Would it be more preferable to you the users if the main function of the site was for you to have just your portfolio rated (1 v 1) by just your friends who you invite/choose to follow?

Or perhaps you have 2 versions of a work that you want opinions on & you can have your chosen followers rate it for you (This way you know who is rating it)

-User Profiles
    -Individual ratings
    -Privacy of having just your friends/followers rate your works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.